2010 FIFA World Cup

Guest The Architect

While England will probably be underwhelming, I'm predicting the US to disappoint as well.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

While England will probably be underwhelming, I'm predicting the US to disappoint as well.

I'm expecting US to hold their own. Winning will be left up to the match. Who knows? Perhaps they're fed up with being called "the underdogs" of football.

Edited by Syraxis

Dempsey and Donovan could, if the english are too bored to do anything, carry the US to victory tonight.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Messi seems to have lost the capability to deliver when it matters.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Of course, my blisteringly accurate prediction was largely correct, not that it took too much meta-knowledge of England's woeful team to achieve that.

I took my wife and son for an agreeable dinner in an eerily empty London, a la 28 Days Later. We went home before the zombies staggered out of the pubs, as if they couldn't work out the likely result as easily as I did.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

The World Cup is rarely the best of what professional football has to offer. 2006 would have been very dull without the genius of Zidane.

Green was horrible for England, but arguably Carragher was even worse with a disgusting back-tackle where he managed to kick the guy twice in the space of 1/10 of a second. Ah well - they won't amount to much again and the press will go haywire with the blame game, again.

Korea was surprisingly good, and I'm Korean. The 2002 semis was obviously a one-time occurrence (sort of like Brits in 1966, haw haw), but I think they need to be considered a team that will seriously challenge to get in the last 16 every tournament, they were one controversial goal away from it in 2006.

It's not the best football in the world, but it's the biggest show on earth. Nothing even comes close for participation, enthusiasm and TV ratings.

Yeah I watched a bit of S. Korea. One goal was a complete defense fail, but they look pretty strong with an integrated side.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Guest The Architect
Why does every game sound like a giant mosquito from beginning to end?

Hahaha yeah, or a swarm of bees. They even drowned out the Pome's and their singing.

Looks like England will keep doing what they usually do - get knocked out in the quarter finals, and I'm beginning to think it's just because they're not that good to begin with and the media is always overrating them. The French weren't what you'd call inspiring in their match, but remember how they went in the group stages in 2006? Can't remember if Domenech back then was not popular with the French and football community as a coach. And it looks like Argentina will produce flashes of brilliance and then implode and go no further than the quarter-finals.

There is a view here that there isn't room for both an extremely exciting, world-class domestic league (i.e. The Premiership) and a world-class national side.

Look how many of the top players in this tournament play in the English game... there is no way England can develop a deep and broad talent base in the same way Germany, Brazil or Spain can.

Conversely, I am also persuaded that there is merit in the 'England are hopelessly overrated' argument too.

:: shrugs ::

The real world cup is next year, in New Zealand with an oval ball. England might not do much better, but that's rugby for you.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can understand why that view might develop, but sorry, that's bollocks - invert that argument and think about why so few English talents play outside England.

Nobody outside England gives a crap about all these 'world class talents' that England thinks they are producing with every bach of youngsters, because they're not that good. And then the British press feeds them with the worst kind of hyperbole until they bend over under the pressure or just become prima donnas. English players are well known, even in England, for being overpriced, and English players love to play in the Premiership because they get good press, good wages, and protection from referees (e.g. Gerrard diving every few weeks, Rooney telling every ref in England to go screw their extended family).

Anyway, Germany rolling over Australia 2-0 at the moment - the referee's suddenly turned very biased and sent an Aussie off for no reason whatsoever, but really, the Germans are too good anyway.