Visuals, again...

Jaggies are inevitable in UE3- it's (in)famous for not allowing antialiasing. Personally I prefer things with fewer shaders etc as the current trend of eye searing lashings of bloom making everything look like its been irradiated by Little Boy even if the only light source is a candle and the tendency to make things look like they're been dipped in vegetable oil via over reliance on shaders is one of my pet peeves. I look around and in "real" reality very little stuff is highly polished/ reflective and most stuff is flat lighted, but play a game and, well, everything seems to be shiny/ reflective from carpet to paint to clothing to hair to concrete whether or not it makes the slightest lick of sense.

Frankly, I just hope that AP runs at a decent framerate on my rig, regardless of the settings. I could really care less about the graphical quality, as long as I can actually move my mouse deftly without succumbing to gratuitous use of bloom and pixel shaders. While other UE3 games such as UT3 and Mirror's Edge have ran at ~30 FPS at maximum quality, Mass Effect lurches along at the equivalent settings on my rig, unfortunately.

Turn off the film grain, if you haven't already. Utterly pointless effect that sucked up around a third of the fps on my rig- I had the same fps fighting multiple AI in Bioshock in an open area as staring at a blank wall in ME until I turned the grain off.

Edited by Zoraptor

When I fullscreen these video's they dont look very good. And, I dont expect you all to be watching these trailers on a 30+" screen.

A fullscreen of a trailer would in no way be anywhere near an accurate representation of in-game graphics, though. :/ At least I can see what you mean though, it's not like you have anything else to go by.

No one said that Alpha Protocol is on par with AAA title.. it isn't, to put it simply, and it clearly is a bit dated, especially when it comes to animations and textures.

The only thing I'm saying is that the visual presentation seem atmospheric enough to support the game and considering it runs on UE3 it will probably run very well on my rig which is.. welcome. ;)

The feed wasn't very good. There's also this gametrailers vid that just came out where it looks a bit better

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-...protocol/100121

I think this looks totally sweet! And it's just a trailer on my crappy computer! Personally, if these graphics are considered crappy, then I guess I got to just admit that I have some low standards :thumbsup:

(edit for spelling flubz)

Edited by macrocarl

The feed wasn't very good. There's also this gametrailers vid that just came out where it looks a bit better

I think this looks totally sweet! And it's just a trailer on my crappy computer! Personally, if these graphics are considered crappy, then I guess I got to just admit that I have some low standards :ermm:

These graphics are only considered crappy by people who post comments on GTTV videos. Hardly representative of the gaming population as a whole.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I think this looks totally sweet! And it's just a trailer on my crappy computer! Personally, if these graphics are considered crappy, then I guess I got to just admit that I have some low standards :ermm:

These graphics are only considered crappy by people who post comments on GTTV videos. Hardly representative of the gaming population as a whole.

Trust me I've read thing like 'Alpha Protocol graphics are terrible/crappy/****ty/ugly&dated' even on forums like RPGWatch (and of course, good ol' Codex). Trust me, graphic whorism is quite widespread (because, let's be honest, AP's graphics aren't top-notch.. but crappy??! really?!?).

Trust me I've read thing like 'Alpha Protocol graphics are terrible/crappy/****ty/ugly&dated' even on forums like RPGWatch (and of course, good ol' Codex). Trust me, graphic whorism is quite widespread (because, let's be honest, AP's graphics aren't top-notch.. but crappy??! really?!?).

Perhaps, but GTTV commenters generally have nearly subhuman intelligence (or just really, really ****ty taste in video games). If I read one more "BioWare are the best RPG makers ever and their dialogue is brilliant" post I might gouge out my eyes with a spoon.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Perhaps, but GTTV commenters generally have nearly subhuman intelligence (or just really, really ****ty taste in video games). If I read one more "BioWare are the best RPG makers ever and their dialogue is brilliant" post I might gouge out my eyes with a spoon.

Ok, that's definitely something you WON'T read on RPGWatch, but again, it's a quite widespread opinion.

I remember a poster on Bethesda's forum complaining that yeah, Obsidian working on Fallout is good, but really, Bioware's dialogue are just higher-tier.

Quite a few laughs there, but hey, you know the saying.. opinions are like...

Ok, that's definitely something you WON'T read on RPGWatch, but again, it's a quite widespread opinion.

I remember a poster on Bethesda's forum complaining that yeah, Obsidian working on Fallout is good, but really, Bioware's dialogue are just higher-tier.

Quite a few laughs there, but hey, you know the saying.. opinions are like...

Truly high class dialogue:

I'M SORRY ASH. I HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE.
Edited by Oblarg

To be honest, when Gaider is at his best he write quite funny dialogues. It's when BioWare tries to be melodramatic that fails incredibly badly IMHO. Let's hope that kind of scene is executed better in Alpha Protocol.

To be honest, when Gaider is at his best he write quite funny dialogues. It's when BioWare tries to be melodramatic that fails incredibly badly IMHO. Let's hope that kind of scene is executed better in Alpha Protocol.

Agreed, though half of the problem with that line was the thoroughly awful delivery.

Edited by Oblarg

Agreed, though half of the problem with that line was the thoroughly awful delivery.

Well Mark Meer has an incredibly lifeless and bland voice acting from the little pieces I heard.

The italian voice actor felt much better to me, and usually video game VA is crappy here.

He was notably better in ME2, but he's still not particularly good.

I think this looks totally sweet! And it's just a trailer on my crappy computer! Personally, if these graphics are considered crappy, then I guess I got to just admit that I have some low standards :p

yeah the graphics in that vid look better than the ones in 1up vid.

The 1up vid was super washed out. I couldn't read the Mike's emails that they were showing at the start.
I could read them. :nuke: Mina's would've been interesting if could read the whole thing, and some context wouldn't have hurt either.