Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Robin Hood. The Ridley Scott / Russell Crowe effort.

My wife pulled a face at the end and said "there was a big hole in that movie somewhere" and I think she was right. The characters were under-developed, the actions scenes were meh, the plotting was all over the place. It was just... OK. I don't expect just OK from the calibre of people involved. I usually enjoy anything Crowe stars in.

The best character was Kate Blanchett's Marion, but she's another one of those actresses who manages to transcend anything she's in, even that Indiana Jones distaster.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Bortherhood of the Wolf

Wow, that was bad... not even Monica Belluci could save that movie :huh:

Agreed, but try it again after a drink and it staggers into so-bad-it's-good territory.

Indeed. It's also one of the legendary home theatre demo movies from the DVD era... Probably no longer a valid reason to watch it, these days...

My mom stopped by, so it was Pizza and Ocean's 11 blu-ray yesterday evening. I have peacemaker and Iron Man 2 on the way (skipped IM2 in the theatre, and peacemaker is a personal favourite, so have high movie expectations for this week)...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Bortherhood of the Wolf

Wow, that was bad... not even Monica Belluci could save that movie :ermm:

yeah the bone sword thing was especially stupid :ermm:

last night i saw the Drawn Together movie and BitchSlap

both of them were pretty stupid -_-

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Bortherhood of the Wolf

There isn't ANYTHING which Monica Bellucci can't save in my opinion. Largely because wwhenever I see her my cognitive architectures start to melt like wax in a lava lamp.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Don't know if this qualifies, but I'm committed to watching ALL of Hill Street Blues on 4OD. Oh yeaaaaaaaah....

EDIT:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I just saw the Britney Spear perfume ad. can the woman not BUY class somewhere?

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just saw the Britney Spear perfume ad. can the woman not BUY class somewhere?

I have to say.. the parents have to shoulder a large portion of the blame for the way that girl turned out / self-destructed / got pushed along...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Bortherhood of the Wolf

There isn't ANYTHING which Monica Bellucci can't save in my opinion. Largely because wwhenever I see her my cognitive architectures start to melt like wax in a lava lamp.

Well, I agree with that as well. Other women with a similar effect: Salma Hayek (especially in Desperado, I wince every time she's on screen), Aaliyah Haughton in Romeo Must Die and Yvonne Strahovski (mostly in Chuck so far.)

Vincent Cassel is a lucky SOB. :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Salma Hayek certainly wins also.

-Elwood Blues

Well, I agree with that as well. Other women with a similar effect: Salma Hayek (especially in Desperado, I wince every time she's on screen), Aaliyah Haughton in Romeo Must Die and Yvonne Strahovski (mostly in Chuck so far.)

Vincent Cassel is a lucky SOB. :p

Hey, Romeo Must Die is an amusing film. Maybe not a "good" film, but it's entertaining all the same... Aaliyah was a bonus for it.. and she's about the only reason to watch Queen of the Damned.. :lol:

Aaliyah Haughton's acting was great. I haven't seen Queen of the Damned but in Romeo Must Die she was charasmatic and believable and made the most out of her part. I'm sure she would have gone on to do some really brilliant movies and that we're worse off for not seeing that.

Edited by Serrano

Matrix Revolutions. But I concur with the statement her husband is one lucky SOB :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Max Payne - zzzzzzzz.

A Perfect Getaway - predictable & often dull thriller, but I didn't quite see the twist coming, so that made it memorable for me. Not enough for me to actually recommend it, but hey if you're super bored at 2am....

(TV series)

The new Hawaii-5-0. - not impressed with either lead actor and the rest is zzzzz. It's pretty to look at, however.

Detroit 1-8-7 - Good enough to keep me watching for a while. The main draw is Michael Imperioli as Finch. He & his character are fascinating.

Sh*t My Dad Says - About what you'd expect. The lead young male is terrible. Shatner, however, is often amusing & only reason to watch. They picked a really good time slot for it, too. :p

The Event - Definitely a Lost+24 combo. Too much rapid time-shifting with too many chrs/plots but that seems to be slowing down a bit now. Could settle into something decent, or just be a convoluted, irritating mess.

Blue Bloods - one of the better of the new cop shows, imo. Feels a bit old school in production, vs. the fast pace/editing of recent shows. I hope it finds a good audience in it's terrible time slot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Event - Definitely a Lost+24 combo. Too much rapid time-shifting with too many chrs/plots but that seems to be slowing down a bit now. Could settle into something decent, or just be a convoluted, irritating mess.

I saw the first episode and the rapid time-shifting was really annoying. I think there was like four time jumps in just first couple of minutes.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

TV pilots...

**** My Dad Says - I agree with the above poster. Shatner is fantastic, but the son is dreadful. the other two supportinjg characetrs are okay.

Hawaii 5-O - It beats all those overrated Law &n order shows which i tend to avoid simply on principle.

Other new shows:

The Defenders - the first lawyer based show I've liked in years. Much more serious at times than I expected consideirng the early promos were heavily focused on the funny.

Losing Hope - Reminds me of MNIE for good reason. Hilairous though the great grandmother is simply disgusting and not funny in any way. The other characters are fantastic though. I hope mommy is somehow alive.

Running Wilde - Crap. Plain, and simple. Worst new show BY FAR.

Mike & Molly - I really tried to like this one but ultimately fails. the elads are medicore to average and it really brings down an awesome Monday comedy night.

Outsourced - It's been criticized for being 'racist' (much like M&M has been criticed for its fatism) but at least Outsourced is genuinely funny.

No Ordinary Family - Watchable but way too much of a rip off to ever be awesome.They were so cowardly that they stuck with the most basic of super powers. *yawn8 Thankfully, the cast is pretty good.

I've DVRed other new shows but haven't watched them yet...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Kick-Ass

There was a lot more that I liked about this movie than I didn't. Aaron Johnson seems to be an extremely likable type guy. I think they probably did about as good a job as they could with Hit Girl, the fact that they even tried is somewhat encouraging.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Watched a rather good version of HMS Pinafore by Essgee Entertainment that was recorded back in '97... and ended with a surprise appearance of the Pirate King.. :deadhorse:

Heh, that's making me think about digging out that Pirates of Penzance with Kevin Kline in..

Iron Man2 - meh, not as good as the first, but did have fun/good action scenes & mayhem.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Robin Hood - The new one by Ridley Scott with Cate Blanchet and Russel Crowe. I enjoyed it, I thought it was a fun spin on the legend. It was similar to Kingdom of Heaven, as long as you ignore the history and stuff, it is a great looking film with some good action and adventure. I wish the Merry Men were in it a bit more though.

But does it have the sheer chutzpah of..:

"We're men, we're men in tights.

We roam around the forest looking for fights.

We're men, we're men in tights.

We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right!

We may look like sissies, but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!

We're men, we're men in tights,

Always on guard defending the people's rights."

:lol: