Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

There was a time in the mid 80s where Caine was literally in everything. Alimony for 100 kids with 100 different wives or something to that effect.

As big fan of Caine's I will defend him against this lazy slur. Apropos his wife the following anecdote is true.

Caine was sharing digs with fellow actor Terence Stamp in the mid-1960's. Caine saw a coffee advert set in Rio starring a beautiful girl.

"Terry," said Caine, "that girl is beautiful, I have to go out with her."

"How?" replied Stamp.

"We'll fly to Rio tomorrow and find her!" said Caine, with the arrogance and optimism of a newly successful and wealthy actor. The two men made their way to the famous Mayfair nightclub Tramp for an evening of groovy carousing, the plan being that they would head off to the airport the following morning. The owner of Tramp, Johnny Gold, had a drink with the two actors who explained that they were about to fly off to Brazil to track down the beautiflu girl in the new Maxwell coffee ad.

Gold told them that they were wasting their time, as the model (who would visit the club now and then) lived in London! Caine cadged her telephone number and bagged himself a date.

Her name was Shakira. They married in 1973 and have been together ever since.

So there is no alimony and no abandoned kids.

sonsofgygax.JPG

The Book of Eli

OK, it's Fallout with a mysterious book rather than a water chip.

I liked the look and feel of PA California, the crazy warrior-monk Denzil Washington plays (it's Man on Fire with a geiger counter), Gary Oldman's dependable bad guy and the cameo with Michael Gambon as a well tooled-up pensioner. I didn't see the twist coming at the end and overall I thought it was an interesting movie that adds something solid to the painfully small end of the world genre.

sonsofgygax.JPG

There was a time in the mid 80s where Caine was literally in everything. Alimony for 100 kids with 100 different wives or something to that effect.

As big fan of Caine's I will defend him against this lazy slur. Apropos his wife the following anecdote is true.

Caine was sharing digs with fellow actor Terence Stamp in the mid-1960's. Caine saw a coffee advert set in Rio starring a beautiful girl.

"Terry," said Caine, "that girl is beautiful, I have to go out with her."

"How?" replied Stamp.

"We'll fly to Rio tomorrow and find her!" said Caine, with the arrogance and optimism of a newly successful and wealthy actor. The two men made their way to the famous Mayfair nightclub Tramp for an evening of groovy carousing, the plan being that they would head off to the airport the following morning. The owner of Tramp, Johnny Gold, had a drink with the two actors who explained that they were about to fly off to Brazil to track down the beautiflu girl in the new Maxwell coffee ad.

Gold told them that they were wasting their time, as the model (who would visit the club now and then) lived in London! Caine cadged her telephone number and bagged himself a date.

Her name was Shakira. They married in 1973 and have been together ever since.

So there is no alimony and no abandoned kids.

To be fair, when Caine married Shakira he was already a divorcee. He was married to another actress, the late Patricia Haines (who appeared on a number of television shows like THE AVENGERS or ADAM ADAMANT LIVES! in guest roles) from 1955-62 and had one daughter, Dominique. Far short of the 100 kids with 100 wives thing though.

However, as I understand it, his two films a year bit (regardless of the quality of the films) in the beginning was to counter the high tax on "top earners" that finally saw him leave the UK for awhile in the 70s not alimony or child support. He'd do a film he wanted and then another film for the money to cover the taxes from the first film.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

[i didn't see the twist coming at the end

There was a plot twist? Other than

him dying

, which didn't really surprise me, I don't recall any.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

him dying

That he was blind

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

him dying

That he was blind

Dur da-dur. Sorry, I'm dumb.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Hm, I didn't think he was

blind

there seemed to be plenty of things he reacted to that could only be seen.. the twist was just that the book was

in brail, which you don't have to be blind to learn how to read..

But that might just be me missing some other clue... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

blind

there seemed to be plenty of things he reacted to that could only be seen.. the twist was just that the book was

But that might just be me missing some other clue... :shifty:

The partially blind also need to learn braille, even though they can see blurs of things. Also his other senses were enhanced.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

blind

But that might just be me missing some other clue... :ermm:

The partially blind also need to learn braille, even though they can see blurs of things. Also his other senses were enhanced.

He was definitely at least partially blind imo. Perhaps he could see light & shadows and not much more. Much of the time the 'clues' were subtle enough to be able to be seen as having a normal sight explanation (ie, debatable) - very nicely done - but there were a few/some that seemed to be the 'big clues'. For instance, at the very start, Eli checks the dead body in the car to see if it's wearing shoes, not by simply glancing downwards, but by squatting down and feeling for the feet with his hands. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Beaufort

Don't read the review as such, just watch the film. Easily the most tense war film I've ever seen, and hardly touches on politics. Really much more of a view from the ground of Israel in Lebanon (towards the end). But applicable to many other conflicts.

Watch it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sherlock (yes, its a bbc series, but each episode is 90 minutes long...) - Have to say, some mixed feelings on this one.. Holmes and Watson are very good, the whole shift to a modern day setting is handled nicely.. and they finally had the reveal of Moriarty.

Just something seemed a bit.. off with this version of him. All previous episodes have had some foreshadowing of his presence, so there's been that nice build up to it. But for some reason, they have Moriarty (when playing himself as opposed to when in disguise) as some slightly manic.. almost as if they have a certain shade of the Joker in him. Which clashes with how I always imagined him.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Salt: pretty good, if a bit predictable.

Kick-Ass - Extremely good. I would love to see a bit more of this universe, it was a great ride.

Definitely the best movie so far this year, IMO.

I just saw Kick-ass as well and I wasn't that impressed. It was moderately funny/quirky/ridiculous as was promised but somewhere along the way it just fell apart. It had style and action but very wasn't fun or fulfilling for me. The only real good take away I got from it was

Nick Cage burning to death

I also saw inception like a week ago. Pretty good stuff but not as orgasmic awesome as everyone is making it out to be. Very interesting concept and executed well but just not fully realized in a sense for me.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Saw Kick-ass the other day... could barely finish watching it. So bad. I still have a bad taste in my mouth. Cage showcasing that his bad judgment transcends his financial affairs into choosing scripts aswel lol.

Watched The Ghost Writer after that. Very impressed. Polanski delevered yet again and Ewan was very good.

And I allways knew there was something fishy about tony b. :p

From Paris With Love. Good mindless fun, not as good as Taken, though.

Probably gonna try Solomon Kane today. Went on a BD shopping spree, have some choice now :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Anyone seen The Expendables yet?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

After Shock, based on the Tangshan Earthquake in 1976 that took the lives of 240,000 people. My girlfriend was in tears throughout a lot of the movie, especially near the end. She was practically bawling her eyes out. Was hard for me not to shed a few tears. Very moving.

Don't know why imdb has the English name wrong. Here's a screen shot from the movie.

aftershocko.jpg

I was once forced to drink a lot of aftershock. I was sick for _two days_.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It just blows my mind when that many people die in one event. I mean, I get it, dense population + poor construction but still, almost a quarter million! Same goes for the recent tsunami. Were not talking about 100ft wall of water here, like a 12 foot wave killed hundreds of thousands. :(

It just blows my mind when that many people die in one event. I mean, I get it, dense population + poor construction but still, almost a quarter million! Same goes for the recent tsunami. Were not talking about 100ft wall of water here, like a 12 foot wave killed hundreds of thousands. :lol:

Actually, we are talking about 50-100ft waves...

http://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2005/03/

At least where the majority of the casualties happened in the Aceh province.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein