Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Has anyone seen The Last Airbender?

I'm a big fan of the show (it's a family friendly affair that still manages to be really epic and smart most of the time and occasionally reaches heights that no one but Miyazaki himself can climb to), but the reviews do not fill me with confidence.

I haven't seen it, but you shouldn't get your hopes up high since Shyamalan seems to have embarked on a weird mission to make every new movie worse than his last one. Don't get me wrong, I loved Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and even Signs - but after Signs he has taken a strange - and negative - turn in his filmmaking.

I saw it Saturday in 3D and, meh. Im a huge fan of the cartoon and watched the series from beginning to end and something was just lacking. The movie only covered him learning Water bending and ended after the

battle of the Northern Water City, where the Moon Spirit gets killed by the Fire nation and later resurrected by the princess that sacrifices herself

so there is obviously going to be a part two or maybe even part three, to cover Earth and Fire bending. The acting was pretty poor and it just didnt transition from cartoon to RL very well.

Percy something & the Lightning Thief.

I'm not a huge fan of the Potter movies, but Percy was definitely no Potter. It did have some cute moments and a lot of fun "oh look it's..." famous actor cameos/bits, but not very interesting overall.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Edge of Darkness - Very solid revenge flick. It was pretty predictable, but there was a bit of a surprise at the end that I appreciated.

The Crazies - I loved it. It was a great zombie movie, even though it wasn't technically one. Sure, there was some fairly silly moments, but there are those in every George Romero vehicle. The sheriff is the guy from Justified, and he is quickly becoming my favorite actor.

Wasting Away

A low budget comedy zombie movie from the point of view of the zombies. Absolutely hilarious at times

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Eclipse. Awful. Not that I expected anything different. Also wondering why it was snowing in the summer time.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Edge of Darkness - Very solid revenge flick. It was pretty predictable, but there was a bit of a surprise at the end that I appreciated.

Really? I thought it was awful. Revenge thrillers should be visceral and sharp - for all their faults Taken and Man on Fire are examples of the genre worth watching.

Edge of Darkness, like State of Play, are both British BBC TV political thrillers. State of Play ran with the ball and was excellent, I'm afraid I can't day the same of Edge. And, much as I like Ray Winstone I struggled to picture him as an East London boy-turned-CIA covert operative. Mel Gibson was one-dimensional and... meh. By the time the movie warmed up it was almost over, and the neo-con, greedy corporate villain was mono-dimensional.

Or maybe I'm just thinking about it too much. :o It's a genre I really like, so I was disappointed. Gibson, after all, is the man who brought us Apocalypto and therefore deserves to be taken seriously. He can do better than this.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Zombieland. It was cute. The beginning was awesome/promising. But I guess I was expecting a little more.

...netflix is so great for catching up on a movie or series here or there in the middle of the night. :o

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Really? I thought it was awful. Revenge thrillers should be visceral and sharp - for all their faults Taken and Man on Fire are examples of the genre worth watching.

I agree that it is nowhere near those two in power or entertainment. I am not familiar with State of Play, and to be honest I thought the Ray Winstone character was underutilized in the movie. It is likely that would change my experience dramatically.

As for Mel Gibson, it was not his strongest performance, but I didn't think he was weak in it. I guess when I say a movie is solid, it is kind of a half-hearted compliment. It doesn't blow me away, but I found it watchable.

Edge of Darkness, like State of Play, are both British BBC TV political thrillers. State of Play ran with the ball and was excellent, I'm afraid I can't day the same of Edge. And, much as I like Ray Winstone I struggled to picture him as an East London boy-turned-CIA covert operative. Mel Gibson was one-dimensional and... meh. By the time the movie warmed up it was almost over, and the neo-con, greedy corporate villain was mono-dimensional.

Or maybe I'm just thinking about it too much. :sorcerer: It's a genre I really like, so I was disappointed. Gibson, after all, is the man who brought us Apocalypto and therefore deserves to be taken seriously. He can do better than this.

Really? I think this was more like a noir-style film rather than a Revenge or political thriller.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

^ Maybe that's the issue - it didn't nail the genre and missed the point of the source material.

Edge of Darkness was a cult 1980's political thriller on the TV here, it's very good. Definitely not noir, political conspiracy stuff.

sonsofgygax.JPG

From Paris with Love - The story and characters were a bit of a mess, and John Travolta's partner wasn't really very good (John Rhys-Davies?). The action scenes were good at least.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

Zombieland. It was cute. The beginning was awesome/promising. But I guess I was expecting a little more.

...netflix is so great for catching up on a movie or series here or there in the middle of the night. :)

Turns out I know somebody who had a bit part as a zombie in that film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

...netflix is so great for catching up on a movie or series here or there in the middle of the night. :lol:

Turns out I know somebody who had a bit part as a zombie in that film.

Really?! Let's play six degrees of separation. :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Someone needs to review the new Predator for me.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie.../1861-Predators

"Are there, like, vegan Predators who protest this & think they should leave the humans alone?" :lol:

...I haven't seen it, but from the 7.9 from 1200+ votes on imbd and 77% community rating on RT I'd guess if you liked the original first one a lot, it's at least a decent bet to see the new one. I always saw the 1st one as a watchable time-passer B movie & nothing more.

Someone needs to review the new Predator for me.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie.../1861-Predators

"Are there, like, vegan Predators who protest this & think they should leave the humans alone?" :lol:

...I haven't seen it, but from the 7.9 from 1200+ votes on imbd and 77% community rating on RT I'd guess if you liked the original first one a lot, it's at least a decent bet to see the new one. I always saw the 1st one as a watchable time-passer B movie & nothing more.

Awesome, I'm in the theatre now. My local paper ripped it apart, but if it is close to the original, I will be stoked.

The only movie I'm really excited about at the moment is The Expendables.

Yup

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Expendables was made when sly Stallone found a massive chunk of Win Ore in his garden. He coated it in cheese and then carved a movie from it.

And, verily, the action movie fans were happy and grateful.

sonsofgygax.JPG