Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

St. Trinians 2 - The Legend of Fritton's Gold...

Call me old school for enjoying the Ealing comedy stuff, but I still have a warm spot for the new St Trinians.. Although I think overall the first one was better , this sequel has some very amusing moments.

But then part of the fun is the amount of in-jokes they have between Colin Firth and Rupert Everett.

David Tenant's supremely over the top woman-hating psychotic evil mastermind is fairly entertaining as well.

Then throw in Gemma Arteton's return with a nod to her Bond-Girl escapade - "So what do you do now Kelly?" "You know MI5? MI6? That was MI7..."

Not to mention such as Talulah Riley and Tamsin Egerton in the standard St Trinian's uniforms for the slight perv factor :brows:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Law-Abiding Citizen

For a while I thought the protagonist in this entertaining piece of nonsense (Gerard Butler) was going to morph into a sort of Tyler Durden, an anti-hero you could not only root for, but who also prevailed albeit in a freaky meta-physical way.

Sadly, Jamie Foxx (why the extra 'X', I know he's not an adult film star) also seemed determined to be the protagonist and hero, playing a brutally ambitious and thoroughly unpleasant assistant D.A. So the film ended in a silly, focus-group influenced blancmange of disappointment. It also underuses the great Colm Meaney.

Nonetheless, worth it for a grim homage to Se7en, The awful remake of The Jackal (the .50 cal remote control robot trick), and a parody of every US cop / courtroom drama you've ever seen with a world-weary, feisty female judge (the scene with the mobile telephone is worth the price of admission alone).

David Fincher should have been brought in on this project and turned it into what it should have been, a great pitch ruined by mainstream hollywood values.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm still waiting for Four Lions.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm still waiting for Four Lions.

Is that the terrorist one you showed us?

Yes, sorry. Forgot to link.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Saw Robin Hood today, prime Riddley Scott work. The production values, the photography and direction his mark all over it and the story adds a new perspective to the myth.

Not one I regret.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

In the last few days I've seen:

Gran Torino: Clint Eastwood flick on racial relations, packaged in a story about an old man trying to reform the Hmong kid from next door. A fine film, although derivative and predictable. If it weren't for Eastwood playing the lead role, it would be unremarkable.

There Will be Blood: A character study of archetype American businessman set at the turn of the century in the US (early expansion of oil industry). Wonderfully shot and acted, but the transformation of the principal character makes little sense, and the ending is completely out of place. Overall the film is a mixed bag.

No Country for Old Men: Coen brothers thriller set in Texas. Eschews genre conventions and cliched story arcs in favor of a more "real life" approach. I liked it quite a bit. One of the better films of the decade.

Thank you for Smoking: A satire of lobbying and the culture that spawns it centered around a charismatic tobacco PR. A good comedy, I recommend it.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Robin Hood. Hated it.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Battlestar Galatica's The Plan. Great. I miss the series.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Sadly, Jamie Foxx (why the extra 'X', I know he's not an adult film star)

Jamie Foxx (born Eric Marlon Bishop) took his stage surname as tribute to comedian Redd Foxx (born John Elroy Sanford) who in turn took his stage surname from Jimmie "The Beast" Foxx, Philidelphia Athletics/Red Sox 1st Baseman from 1936-1942

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jamie Foxx (born Eric Marlon Bishop) took his stage surname as tribute to comedian Redd Foxx (born John Elroy Sanford) who in turn took his stage surname from Jimmie "The Beast" Foxx, Philidelphia Athletics/Red Sox 1st Baseman from 1936-1942

:) I'm so into you

zoidbergprof.jpg

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The Philadelphia Story - a classic of it's time. (and definitely better then the musical version Bing Crosby did a few years later).

What's interesting is how some of it was improvised.. especially the "drunk" Jimmy Stewart having a talk with Cary Grant, you can see them nearly cracking up off each other.

Heh, but I found the Cary Grant DVD Collection Boxed set reduced from

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Iron Man 2

finally got round to it

it's pretty decent, but i did prefer the first

couldn't really see Don Cheadle as Rhodey/War Machine, but still thought he did a pretty good job

Justin Hammer was just bloody annoying, and the final fight was... anticlimatic to be honest

glad to see more Avengers stuff being brought in though, and more background on SHIELD

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I knew this post was by you without actually checking who it was posted by.

:p I'm so into you

zoidbergprof.jpg

Yeah, Tep knows all. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments. :)

I knew this post was by you without actually checking who it was posted by.

Is that good or bad? :o

Also, minor correction The Beast was with the Athletics/Red Sox from 1926-1942 apparently.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

well i just got home from watching completely absurd movies at a friend's place

samurai princess

tokyo gore police

machine girl

next time we're gonna watch robot geisha

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Push the other night. Except for some awful editing and random film grain I thought it was a solid watch. I would love to see more flicks in that universe though I know it will never happen.

Anyway, some concept art for Thor and Captain America got out. Cap looks fantastic, I need to see Thor in action. Costume looks ok, but Chris Hemsworth isn't selling it for me.

Cap: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45326

Thor: http://www.collider.com/2010/06/02/thor-ch...es-concept-art/

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg