The Sound in Delaware

Since I like snooping around on peoples webpages and because the recent job hiring announcement, I noticed this bit on Obsidians webpage:

Based on the arrangements with our current publishers, we are not hiring for sound effect and/or music positions at this time.

Either the publisher has its own soundlab and voice artists (definitely sounds like Lucas Arts) or the game has no sound at all (nethack for pc and console).

Could also be EA, but then I would probably prefer Nethack B)

Although Battlefields 1942 was actually a fun game, and so was Kotor (which was distributed by EA in my part of the world)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hmmm...I think producing a game in this day and age without sound may be a little bit bold for a first product from a new company.

No doubt the publisher will handle it.

not soule again... he's overrated by many and hasn't done half as good as people seem to think... look here , at gojiro's post.

do i repeat myself when i say "go for mark morgan!"? it can't be said enogh, anyway... and please, dear obsidian, try and make your publisher continue black isle's tradition of supreme voice-over quality.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I agree completely with you, Samm, about Jeremy Soule, we've heard enough of his music now, and since he obviously can't renew himself even just a little bit, it's time for a new composer to step in.

Maybe the Bay Area Sound Department will do the soundeffects? They did it for KOTOR... Not that I'm saying Delaware is KOTOR 2 or anything...

Soule has done way too many games recently, and it's starting to show. Repetitive, and generally boring. Surely he's not the only good composer for RPGs out there.

someone told me that elfan made some simpsons game's music ... strange, but if he does even compose for such lame games (no offense), why not for darker, more serious ones? it might be a question of ... funds, though :p

After extensive research I have discovered that the sound in Delaware will be something like this.

:D

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Some good game soundtrack writers that haven't been used recently.. The Fat Man. Ultima Underworld and 7th Guest... :3

I'm rather opposed to Jeremey Soule, however. I can't remember who did it, but the soundtrack to the origional Baldur's Gate was very very good, miles ahead of what Neverwinter Nights had.

Some good game soundtrack writers that haven't been used recently.. The Fat Man. Ultima Underworld and 7th Guest... :3

I'm rather opposed to Jeremey Soule, however. I can't remember who did it, but the soundtrack to the origional Baldur's Gate was very very good, miles ahead of what Neverwinter Nights had.

Michael Hoenig did the music for the first Baldur's Gate

Mark Morgan did it for PS:T, which I prefer. This guy rules.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Mark Mogan or Michael Hoenig are good choices. :p

Agree on both accounts :p

If there can be only one, let it be Mark Morgan...

Soule's best work is the Total Annihilation (RTS) soundtrack IMO.  (It's still amazing)

yes, i really love it, too. good thing that if you place your ta-cd in a cd-player, it will play the soundtrack :) the only other game that i know, which has its music stored in cda-format is outcast, which has a really impressive score, too (composer: bill brown).

michael hoenig isn't in game-music business anymore, unfortunately. i can't give you any sources about that, but afair it was some bis-member who wrote that.

I'm rather opposed to Jeremey Soule, however. I can't remember who did it,  but the soundtrack to the origional Baldur's Gate was very very good, miles ahead of what Neverwinter Nights had.

Michael Hoenig did the music for the first Baldur's Gate

Mark Morgan did it for PS:T, which I prefer. This guy rules.

They are both excellent.

What non game work have they done?