All non-African people have Neanderthal DNA

Humodour

Scientists have basically finished mapping the Neanderthal genome, and comparative analysis with human and chimpanzee DNA shows that those who left Africa interbred with the Neanderthals - so the ancestors of Europeans, Asians, and Islanders.

There's not much difference apparently. Our DNA DNA didn't change much from Africans because of it - and this sentence is meant in both the functional sense and the quantitative sense.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id...ing_with_humans

http://www.physorg.com/news192374283.html

Such interbreeding is not surprising considering that the ancestors of humans kept breeding with the ancestors of chimps for roughly a million years after diverging, while Neanderthals only diverged from humans 200 to 400 or so hundred thousand years ago.

Worth the full read.

Edited by Krezack

I just discovered my mom is actually an anti-evolutionist, if that's a word. I didn't think they would accept a hippie. She doesn't believe in the literal interpretation of the bible, rather it seemed to revolve around her not liking the notion of descending from apes. She seems to particularly dislike chimpanzees.

I mean, yeah gorillas are definitely cooler animals.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Scientists have basically finished mapping the Neanderthal genome, and comparative analysis with human and chimpanzee DNA shows that those who left Africa interbred with the Neanderthals - so the ancestors of Europeans, Asians, and Islanders.

There's not much difference apparently. Our DNA DNA didn't change much from Africans because of it - and this sentence is meant in both the functional sense and the quantitative sense.

Such interbreeding is not surprising considering that the ancestors of humans kept breeding with the ancestors of chimps for roughly a million years after diverging, while Neanderthals only diverged from humans 200 to 400 or so hundred thousand years ago.

Worth the full read.

They spent millions of dollars to tell me what I already know in my heart. I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH AFRICA :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Worth the full read.

They spent millions of dollars to tell me what I already know in my heart. I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH AFRICA :)

Actually from an anthropological standpoint, this is important because technically it means that Neanderthals were part of our ancestery, which they didn't think had happened before.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It blurs the species line a bit, too.

Has been blurred for a while. They're not sure if Homo Erectus was all one species or if they were like 4 species because the morphology of their skeletons are so different between the african groups and the asians. (Sorry, I'm finishing my Anthro 300 this month).

Surely it's pronounced 'hotlips'?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What I find most shocking is that some people pronounce it neander TALL and not neander THAWL. What is up with these crazies!? :ermm:

Considering Neanderthals are named after Neandertal where they were first discovered, yeah, what's up with those crazies?! ;):p

Neanderthal or Neandertal?

The first such fossil was discovered in 1856 in the Neander Thal, or "Neander Valley" in German, and became known as "Neanderthal Man". In 1904, German spelling was regularized to be more consistent with pronunciation, and "thal" became "tal". In 1952 Henri Vallois proposed that it should be spelt as the Germans spell it, and the "-tal" spelling has become widely used since then. The "-thal" spelling persists most strongly in England.

'Neanderthal' can be pronounced with either a 't' or a 'th' sound - both are acceptable and widely used in English. The German pronunciation, however, has always been 't' (German has no 'th' sound).

None of this affects the taxonomic name of the Neandertals. William King proposed the name Homo neanderthalensis in 1864. Since then, opinion has fluctuated as to whether they should be considered Homo sapiens neanderthalensis (a subspecies of Homo sapiens) or a separate species, Homo neanderthalensis. For the first half of the 20th century, they were usually considered a separate species. For the last few decades they have usually been considered a subspecies, but recently Homo neanderthalensis has been gaining in popularity again. In either case, the 'h' must remain in the name, because the laws governing biological nomenclature forbid changing the spelling.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/spelling.html

So all non-blacks are part-ogres? At least that's what neanderthals look like to me.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Purityschmurity

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Has it not already been determined that the size doesn't matter, rather how you use it?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

It's worth noting that Neanderthals had larger brains than us.

Curiously enough that could be one the reasons why neanderthals lost to sapiens. It was really painful and potentially lethal for neanderthal women to give birth.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Curiously enough that could be one the reasons why neanderthals lost to sapiens. It was really painful and potentially lethal for neanderthal women to give birth.

You'd have to think that'd be a pretty simple selective pressure toward smaller heads, though, so I dunno about that... I mean Neanderthals existed for hundreds of thousands of years. Way more than enough time to adapt to something like that.

They polled a lot of Neanderthal's in the maternity ward, did they? (Isn't normal homo sapian birth considered really painful and potentially lethal (if complications arise)?)

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They polled a lot of Neanderthal's in the maternity ward, did they? (Isn't normal homo sapian birth considered really painful and potentially lethal (if complications arise)?)

I read it in science magazine. The head is so big that it is more dangerous for neanderthal to give birth than sapien.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

FYI, cranial capacity is generally used as a metric for establishing that a species is gaining in intelligence.

Neanderthali women had nature against them IIRC, meaning that their hips were badly constructed for childbirth.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy