Let me tell you about what I saw at the gym.

Busomjack

I do some light work outs at the gym a few times a week as a way to feel good about the fact that I sit on my ass playing games or am at work for the remainder of that time.

Well, yesterday was especially crowded at the local YMCA due to all the people still trying to full fill their New Year's resolutions and because it was the day after Derby(I live in Louisville) where everyone is trying to burn off the fat from the drinks and pies. There was one unfamiliar face who caused quite a show.

It was a woman, a very very large African American woman who was with one of the personal trainers, a cute 19 year old young woman.

What happened made me lose a bit of my faith in humanity. I barely understood what the fat black woman said but I will try to recant the argument she had with the trainer to the best of my ability.

Trainer:You submitted in your resume that you would like some diet advice. I looked through the questionarre you filled out and the first thing I would reccommend is adding more fibrous foods like fruits and vegetables in your diet.

Woman:Bhut I be eatin' vechtaboles evwee day!

Trainer:What vegetables do you eat?

Woman:I ben owdawin fwench fwies wit mah fwied chikin. Mosta tyme wit catchup so I be gettin mah vechtaboles n' mah pwoteen.

Trainer:I see. Well, I would encourage you to eat vegetables in a less processed, wholesome form so you can get all the nutrients without the harmful additives like trans fat which causes heart disease.

Woman:Bhut joo dun undahstan! I canna eat ealthy foods! I twy n wose weight but it dun work cuz I can't be eatin nuttin n'less it tastez gud!

Trainer:Well, surely there has to be at least a few good foods that you like. Try eating more of those to start off with and then moving on to other healthy options. Let me ask, what is your favorite fruit?

Woman:I dun wike fwoot. I wike fwoot candy. I wike fwoot dwinks but I canna eat weal fwoot cuz it dun taste good.

Trainer:Eating healthfully is an important part of any weight loss regime.

Woman:I know! Bhut I twy n eat 'ealthy bhut mah keeds dun wike et cuz day go "momma! I canna eat it, it dun tastez gud!" So wut mah spose' tah do? Wet dem staave? Day dun eat nuttin less we go tah church's, McDonalds, or KayEffSee(her voice was becoming louder and more obnoxious by this point."

Trainer:I see, well(interrupted)

Woman:I canna go to dah gwocewy stohre needa cuz itz too spensive' n I dun make much money cuz I'm ohn whalefare cuz eyez gotz keeds, joo know?

Trainer:Well your kids still sound young so perhaps you can try introducing them to some healthier options and you can eat healthy meals with them.

(After this I could no longer understand her)

Woman:I aweatty twold joo bhut joo not lisnun! BEEBOP BA DO WOP! WAKA WAKA WAKA WAKA! CLUCK! CLUCK!

Trainer:Mam, please I didn't mean any offense...

(the fat black woman continued saying few intelligible words)

Woman:shibiddity dibitty dobatty DOP! I dun need tah be ere! I gunna go on duh Taco Bell dwive thwu diet!"

She stormed out of the gym and had to squeeze her fat ass through the door.

I found this sad because it reminds me of a disturbing trend in American culture. Wanting something without being willing to actually work for it. Good health doesn't just happen by default. As your body ages, it is important to maintain a healthful diet and exercise regularly if you wish to stay in good health. If you're not willing to make any changes to the lifestyle that made you an obese, slovenly, slob to begin with, you shouldn't complain.

This woman will no doubt be a chocolate flavored Jabba the Hut for the rest of her life...which will probably be 3-5 years at most since she'll likely have a heart attack soon.

Edited by Busomjack

*sigh*

Since I can no-longer move around I should probably start making changes to my own dite. And like your subject, I don't like eating anything that don't taste good.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

*sigh*

Since I can no-longer move around I should probably start making changes to my own dite. And like your subject, I don't like eating anything that don't taste good.

Lucky for me then that the food I find delicious also happens to be healthy.

I really think it's how you're raised. If you grow up eating nothing but crap, that is what you grow to like. I almost never ate out growing up. My mother would always prepare meals using organic produce.

Edited by Busomjack

Actually when I was a small kid we had so little food my mother got gout from eating fruit she would scavenge. True story. I remember the reason I loved the Hobbit so much was that it was a way of 'eating' food that wasn't actually there. :)

Needless to say, times changed with Dickensian fortuitousness. But I adore good rib sticking food. Stews, curries, pasta with meatballs, pies etc. I do like healthy food, but I don't really know how to cook it nearly so well as I can make a killer spread of pampushckii or koeksisters.

However, inspired by Killian's recent efforts I have just this minute rung around my friends and found someone who is going to help me get my diet to a healthy 2000 calories. Not dieting, just managing the intake.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Actually when I was a small kid we had so little food my mother got gout from eating fruit she would scavenge. True story. I remember the reason I loved the Hobbit so much was that it was a way of 'eating' food that wasn't actually there. :)

Needless to say, times changed with Dickensian fortuitousness. But I adore good rib sticking food. Stews, curries, pasta with meatballs, pies etc. I do like healthy food, but I don't really know how to cook it nearly so well as I can make a killer spread of pampushckii or koeksisters.

However, inspired by Killian's recent efforts I have just this minute rung around my friends and found someone who is going to help me get my diet to a healthy 2000 calories. Not dieting, just managing the intake.

Don't forget to exercise. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about getting exactly 2000 calories. Losing weight is a lot more about metabolism than it is calorie intake.

Eating the right foods will raise your metabolism. Refined grains, simple sugars and flours all get stored as fat really quickly and raise your insulin levels which makes you tired and lethargic. Stick to complex carbohydrates from fibrous foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and you will have a lot more energy and your body will burn more calories in addition to feeling more full.

Combine weight lifting with running. Running burns more calories in the short term but increased muscle mass requires more energy to maintain and thus will raise your metabolism.

Good luck!

Edited by Busomjack

Am I the only one who thinks this story has some serious racist undertones to it?

Not my intention. I was just trying to make the reader read it as I heard and saw it. Keep in mind I'm from Louisville and the various underclasses from each ethnic group all have their own devolved dialogue of the English language whether it be black, or white.

Am I the only one who thinks this story has some serious racist undertones to it?

Not my intention. I was just trying to make the reader read it as I heard and saw it. Keep in mind I'm from Louisville and the various underclasses from each ethnic group all have their own devolved dialogue of the English language whether it be black, or white.

I suppose, it just seemed like pointing out her race was unnecessary to the story. And why didn't you disclose the race of the trainer? It's just you've got a black person and then you are telling a story about eating fried chicken, it can come across as a bit racially offensive. I mean it's already offensive to fat people, so it's already got a fairly negative tone to it, so the jump to race isn't terribly hard to make.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, you don't seem like you are intentionally being offensive, I just thought the story sounded a bit odd.

I mentioned she was fat and black because I was trying to give the reader some idea of what I saw personally to give my story emphasis. Why didn't I mention the race of the trainer? Well, because the story wasn't really about her. I was trying to make a point you see about the sad cultural state of America in certain respects and it was the black woman who personified this, not the personal trainer.

My problem with the woman was not that she was black, it's that she was stupid and there are a lot of stupid people who view the world the way she does.

Actually when I was a small kid we had so little food my mother got gout from eating fruit she would scavenge. True story. I remember the reason I loved the Hobbit so much was that it was a way of 'eating' food that wasn't actually there. :thumbsup:

Well that would explain why you are attracted to high calories food. We are actually wired to prefer those foods over others to prevent starvation, the problem is that we now live a sedentary life.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I can't help but think that this guy is another LoF nom de guerre. He registered last night to, what? Tell us all about healthy diet.

He's also weirdly into issues around physical fitness and race, I think he might be from Germany circa 1936.

Dude, the racial stereotyping was offensive to this callsign, feign 'what me?' as much as you like but there it is.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I can't help but think that this guy is another LoF nom de guerre. He registered last night to, what? Tell us all about healthy diet.

I'm not ruling out an alt here, but I think it's more likely that he's just a noob who came here in advance of Alpha Protocol's release. Witness his two newbish threads in the AP forum.

Edit: I is slo.

Edited by Enoch

The story refers to an individual. It's about her and how her mentality is a problem for society. This problem obviously transcends racial boundries.

At no point anywhere in the post do I make any generalizations about an ethnic group. I'm trying to keep the issue of race out of this discussion, it's not relevant other than to give you a visual of who I saw.

If he was LoF he'd probably know already that I can't 'combine weight lifting with running'. I can barely carry a hardback book from the library.

Busomjack - I busted my spine a couple of months ago. Not crippled, but seriously impaired.

FWIIW I believe he wasn't being deliberately racist. I believe it's a key descriptive feature to picture her voice. A person can be shrill and obnoxious and crazy even if they are black. Although actually by the sound of things she's on welfare so her self-esteem and willpower are probably running on fumes, by contrast to her flesh.

-Elwood Blues

I'm going to run it through that freaky grammar / typing comparison app to see if it's LOF.

His reply was just so... measured. :: shivers ::

What app?

-Elwood Blues

The story refers to an individual. It's about her and how her mentality is a problem for society.

And Gym-Nazis who look down their noses at other people aren't a problem for society. Dude, just go back to looking adoringly at your guns in the mirror.

sonsofgygax.JPG