UK election thread

Walsingham

:lol: :lol:

I just had a Labour candidate canvass me at the door. I very politely and calmly explained in detail why I would not be voting Labour. This was demonstrably more effective than simply shouting at her. She looked genuinely crestfallen which only got worse when I commisserated with her!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I did see an report about how Brown forgot his mic was still on after having a tit for tat with a nice old lady. It is interesting to see that sort of thing among politicians. I think that all politicians should have mics on at all moments. Yes, at all moments. :lol:

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I did see an report about how Brown forgot his mic was still on after having a tit for tat with a nice old lady. It is interesting to see that sort of thing among politicians. I think that all politicians should have mics on at all moments. Yes, at all moments. :lol:

Oh the best bit was when he was in an interview just shortly afterwards.. He was trying to play it down, and they did a "and we have the clip here to play" ... Brown's body language and expression just.. schlumped. It was quite amusing in that manner. :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ahhh Brits and their politics. "Remember, remember the fifth of November" :thumbsup:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I guess the debates are here to stay, and on balance I think they're a good thing. It can be frightening how much appearance and presentation skills can exert an influence on the viewing public, myself included. On the other hand, they weren't as policy-lite as I'd feared, and they enabled me (viewing from abroad) to keep as in touch with the campaign as most people in the UK.

Still not sure who to vote for, though.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I did like Brown's first speech after his visit to the queen.. in which he made a point of saying why should people risk a change of government now...

Risk?

Where's the risk? The economy is in the crapper, trust in the government is fairly non-existant, and they've parcelled a lot of power out to un-elected qwongocrats and consultants....

Maybe I'm a bit cynical after 13 years of "New Labour" but I really can't see how anyone else could make it worse. :thumbsup:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The debates make me laugh. We've had televised Prime Minister's question time for years, which is essentially the same thing, but more bitchy.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

After the disastrous introduction at my door, I realised in retrospect that the young lady who canvassed me was rather sexy, so I've decided to make a point of asking her out, and to that end have sent various emails. Who says politics is boring?

-Elwood Blues

Please. The day I can't trace someone who makes no effort to conceal themselves is the day I get a life.

Waitaminute.

-Elwood Blues

After the disastrous introduction at my door, I realised in retrospect that the young lady who canvassed me was rather sexy, so I've decided to make a point of asking her out, and to that end have sent various emails. Who says politics is boring?

Right-of-centre chicks are hotter. Fact. Look at the newsreaders on NewsCorp media outlets.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Am I the only person who reads "the young lady who canvassed me" and envision some lady throwing a giant cloth over Wals?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Right-of-centre chicks are hotter. Fact. Look at the newsreaders on NewsCorp media outlets.

I'm short, fat, and by most accounts pretty crazy. One has to know one's limits. Hot newsreader chicks are out.

@Amentep: If only! Hubba hubba. Rowwrrrrr etc.

-Elwood Blues

I'll probably vote for a minor party as it'll do the least damage. That and I don't like the three main parties.

Labour have made plenty of decisions I disagree with, and I don't feel they represent me so nuff said.

The Conservatives - I would have voted for them to remove the death tax off regular middle class people - people that work their whole lives and finally manage to afford a decent house. Their shadow cabinet is all made up of utterly bizzare people though. I saw Michael Gove the other day - where did they get this guy? Is he some sort of alien? Unfortunately it doesn't stop with him, they all speak like robots. I just can't vote for a party like that.

I don't agree with the liberal democrats policies. They want to get rid of our working nuclear weapons system - but what never gets mentioned is they do ultimately want to replace it. They also want to scrap the eurofighter typoon. I'm kind of against anything that demotes research and development, so I'd only scrap this as a last measure over truly essential stuff like cancer treatment.

I don't think any of the parties have anything inspiring to say over the environment. Labour at least are looking at nuclear - I would assume all 3 parties are so this is a null point.

Education isn't a big concern for me, I've been through both a tory and labour education system. It declined under both.

As for the minor parties, there's the Greens. I've seen how they behave amongst themselves - they aren't fit to govern in my opinion, even if they are the only party that bring up the single most important issue, limited resources, growing population.

UKIP - They've had a ropey past. At present they more or less resemble kind of a niche conservative rebel party. I think as a euro sceptic they're the only way I can voice an opinion this election. Also voting for them isn't going get them into power. I think voting for a minority is all someone like me can do in this election - just so that when it's all done with there'll at least be a foot note saying "yeah I don't much like the idea of being in the EU".

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Mr. Varadarajan, of the Daily Beast link provided above, is spot-on from where sitting here in the UK. Kudos to him.

If you want to know the result but not stay up all night, here is Monte's political-spotting tip of the day *cue cheezy quiz show music*

The London Borough of Wandsworth has three seats. Putney is already Tory, Battersea has a wafer-thin Labour majority and will go Tory. Tooting is Labour and the seat of Mr. Khan, a junior minister and rising star. If the Tories take Tooting they will have their +10 national swing and will almost certainly win with a workable majority. Go to bed, it's over. Wandsworth is a capable council, they usually declare by 0100 so it's not too late a night.

I'll be up and waiting for that creature Ed Balls to get un-seated (fingers crossed), very posh Bourgeois potato chips and a chilled bottle of Pol Roger ready to go.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

That Daily Beast article is retarded.

Anyway, the final polls before The Poll all show the same thing: Lib Dem has the same percent of the vote as Labour. I'm guessing that means a hung parliament with the Tories forming government and the Lib Dems holding the balance of power, which is what I personally wanted so that there is a reversal on the erosion of freedoms in the UK (because it might just give Rudd food for though).

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/

A vote for the Tory's will be just that.

Don't complain when you get screwed.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!