Win7/XP dualboot

LadyCrimson

I want to dual boot Win7 and XP on my new PC, but want to use two separate hard drives (not partition). I've never dual-booted so it's all new to me and since hubby is still learning Win7 himself he's not too much help...

Reading up on how-to instructions (like this sevenforums article) it appears that if you don't install XP first, you run into a Win7 boot-loader problem.

If you already have Win7 installed & don't want to have to reinstall, you can supposedly fix the issue by using a 3rd party program called EasyBCD.

So my idle curiosity questions:

--since I'm always leery of unknown software, is anyone familiar with/used this EasyBCD?

--has anyone dual-booted Win7/XP & have any advice/experience/issues to relate?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've dual-booted, but I did it the easy way (as described in your own post). I had an XP partition and installed Vista (same **** as Win 7) on another harddrive. By doing it in that order, it was all fully automatic. All I had to do was edit the boot file afterwards to set which OS I wanted to have as preference and how many seconds I wanted to wait before the computer went to default. I had it for probably 6 months before I realized I had only started up Vista approximately 3-4 times since then, and only to see if there were any new critical updates for it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll have to ask hubby where the boot file is, if I want to alter those things. Finally getting around to trying it, wiping Win7 off first. That 3rd party boot loader is supposed to be fine, according to friends, but I'd still prefer not needing one, so...

...I like Win7 well enough, but I still have too many old games and little software programs etc. that I still prefer to use, that won't work on Win7 & I haven't found/liked the replacements/other options. Hence for at least a couple more years it'll be...

New PC: Win7 & XP dual boot from 2 hard drives.

Ancient P4 - XP, used mainly for concurrent internet sessions via switchbox - like I'm doing right now (installing dual boot while typing this) - or VERY old games that don't need graphic power.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Xp first, then Win7, seemed to work, both boot in fine. Then noticed that the XP boot can't "see" the internet/home network. And the Win7 boot does see the internet/network but not the DVD drive (XP boot sees the DVD...). Tried mucking with changing drive letter assignments on the wild chance that had anything to do w/it but nothing.

Can't install any drivers in Win7 since when I insert a DVD it acts like there is no device. Hubby's already asleep & Google hasn't been helpful yet...if anyone has any ideas before then, here's what the Win7 device manager looks like plus how the DVD drive doesn't even show on Window Explorer's listing:

dualboot-1.jpg

dualboot-2.jpg

...*mutters*...might be better off buying another, cheaper PC to replace the P4, for an XP machine...

• 2 weeks later...

Just felt like reporting that I did get the dual boot running, but decided it doesn't work for me. Switching between 2 O/S on same computer is a hassle...I use XP programs too often I guess.

So I just built a really cheap AMD dual core/gef220 system for XP to remain with just a 2 pc/switchbox concept. It's still lots better than the P4/AGP and works for old stuff so...whatever. heh

Edited by LadyCrimson