Welcome to Blank's First DMing Experience.

Blank

Alright team, this is it. I'm starting my first foray into the world of DMing with a game we'll play by corresponding here on the forum. I will probably be investing in resources shortly. I'm scouring ebay amidst writing this, looking for deals on material. I tentatively would like to use AD&D 2.5e, since I played a game in it once and enjoyed it. If anyone else has other suggestions, or cheaper alternatives, let me know.

Tigranes and Deadly Nightshade are recommended a seat in this, as they were first comers. I think I can handle 3 or 4 more people, so let me know quickly if you're interested. If we're full up and you're desperate, PM me and I'll consider. No matter what, I will accept Pixies if he would finally talk to me again (we had a nasty breakup when I learned about his two-timing ways with the Architect and Hell Kitty. After I confronted him that rainy Saturday night, he stormed out, kicking over the statue of Krookie we sculpted together out of styrofoam, and I didn't hear from him since. He hasn't responded to my multiple texts or voicemails. I'm starting to worry. I think he has lost motivation. He stopped pursuing his dream of making music, and Hell Kitty says their son doesn't even ask for his other daddy anymore. I mean, I'm mad at him, but to see him go off the edge like this is too much for me. Come back, thepixiesrock, don't do this to me. Don't do this to us.)

So Deadly Nightshade suggested the Forgotten Realms, specifically the Sword Coast, which would be fitting since Obsidian set their game there. I'm open to other ideas though.

If anyone has advice for me as a completely rookie DM, please offer it here.

Any resources are welcome to that end too.

I plan on running this game with the following model: there will be two threads in the PnP section. Ater getting character sheets and backstories from the participants (public information can be on the OOC thread, private information will be PM'd between me and the player), I will then post an initial post in the in-character game thread, which describes where everyone is at, as per the usual Pen and Paper games. This is where the correspondence comes in. Players will read the post about their character and take their turn. When everyone has responded, I then post the next round of information.

Try to respond within a week of the DM posting. If it's been an unplanned number of weeks and we can't get a hold of you, I'll simply temporarily play for your character and assume status quo actions for you that round. Let me know if you won't be able to post for a while and we can make arrangements.

A strength of this style of game is our flexibility, which benefits a lot of the students with crazy schedules/projects, or other busy people around here.

One might complain that this is slow, but I feel it enriches story quality.

Let me know any other ideas you all have that might make this better :thumbsup:

Edited by Blank

I would think that there would be more pen-and-paper players here than on most forums, excluding those devoted to that, and I would hope that we'll get at least three-four more players. Still, you're correct that this part of the forum is rarely visited. :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You know what worstusername? That type of reckless attitude is just the thing we need. If you have at least 10 minutes once every week or two, I'm sure that's enough time to make a post. Let me know, but for now I'll put you down as potential 3rd player.

And I just verified Walsingham as 4th player. He hasn't found us here yet, but I'll let him know we made a thread. So that's four players. I think one or two more, but I am extending special exception to forum best mates such as Llyranor, Nick_I_am, and thepixiesrock should they appear again one day and decide to join.

Edited by Blank

You know what worstusername? That type of reckless attitude is just the thing we need. If you have at least 10 minutes once every week or two, I'm sure that's enough time to make a post. Let me know, but for now I'll put you down as potential 3rd player.

Since I have enough time to post about Alpha Protocol's expected sales I guess I have enough time to post here.

Once again, that's the spirit. All right we have 4 players confirmed. I'm trying to tap into a legendary DM I know who is my inspiration. I'll let you know what I learn.

Recruit Walsingham reporting as ordered, SAH!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well done recruit. The first thing you should know is that as the first person to report, I have the divine right to the first pick of the party's loot.

I'd be interested but I'll probably be a bit confused most of the time.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Well done recruit. The first thing you should know is that as the first person to report, I have the divine right to the first pick of the party's loot.

If by loot you mean assorted entrails then you're welcome to it.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'll do it. Sounds fun. I've never tried 2.5e, though...

EDIT: If you'll take me, that is...

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Awesomeness and Iwanttehkotor3 makes a full party. If anyone else desperately wants in, please PM me and I will discuss with you possibilities. For now, though, consider this closed to the six players who have posted in this thread already.

The DM I referred to above has kindly agreed to provide some help if I need it. He already let me know what resources I will need. I'll be working on procuring them and building our setting, as well as trying to get you all the information you need to build your characters.

Fantastic. I'll probably have to go dig up some info to refresh my memory so that I can actually build a character. -_-

Yeah, if I remember correctly Advanced Dungeons & Dragons -that's what 2 and 2.5 are, right?- has some significant differences from 3 and 3.5. Still, it's a classic system.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Fantastic. I'll probably have to go dig up some info to refresh my memory so that I can actually build a character. -_-

Yeah, I'll do the same...

EDIT: How is the dice situation going to work out? Are we going to be rolling, or are you? Also, are you planning a more combat-focused campaign or a more character-driven one?

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

How is the dice situation going to work out? Are we going to be rolling, or are you?

If it's anything like the D&D games I ran via a forum awhile back* it will be a more-or-less dice-free game (excluding any rolls the DM might make).

*Blank, if you've got any questions feel free to ask - although I'm sure you'll do a great job.

-_-

-Hurlshot

I assume that we will simply post what we want to do and Blank will roll necessary dice. I guess combat could slow down quite a bit though if we do it per turn? I mean, if I win initiative I'd have to post first, etc?

Fantastic. I'll probably have to go dig up some info to refresh my memory so that I can actually build a character. :)

Yeah, I'll do the same...

EDIT: How is the dice situation going to work out? Are we going to be rolling, or are you? Also, are you planning a more combat-focused campaign or a more character-driven one?

Alright. To answer some of the questions so far, I will be rolling when it's required, and I promise it will be truly random and fair (although random doesn't always feel fair). It will take place behind the scenes, unless there is a particular detail that needs explaining (for example, your character was offended by someone at the bar, and you want to sucker punch him when he walks away. If a 0 is rolled, perhaps I will note such a thing, and explain how you horribly fail. If a 10 is rolled I will simply explain the damage done to him, and you can guess what you rolled based on the strength of your character. I'll be using the Combat and Arms option for the game to make things more strategic and fun).

Tigranes is right, combat can get slow if someone who has initiative doesn't post for a while, as I'd like it to be in turn for battle, but if your actions don't affect things, for example, if you're after Iwanttehkotor3, and you just want to duck behind a rock in battle or something, as long as Iwanttehkotor3 doesn't do anything like blast the rock into nothing with his magic missile, your actions can remain canon. In non-combat situations, you can post in any order after the DM's post. But wait for my next post until you post again. If you are in a way different location than the other players during the story, and they still haven't gotten back to me, I might just post for you an individual update if it's taking them too long, so that your story doesn't necessarily have to be put on hold if you're simply talking to people in the market or something. If you're in other players' presences, that can't really work. But PM me secret things you are doing that other players shouldn't see. Like when Walsingham kills a guy, Tigranes will PM me to tell me he sneaks some loot from the dead guy while Walsingham is killing the next one, but on the public in-game thread he will say he does something like check the dead guy's pulse. Sorry to give away your plans Tig.

AD&D 2e Revised is the golden edition in my opinion, compared to the preceding editions and the following abominations, the good parts of the latter being based on this edition. I'm pretty much sold on the Forgotten Realms setting now, specifically the Sword Coast. I do know it better than others, and probably likewise for the majority of you. There are a ton of possibilities and innumerable things that can happen there.

I'd personally enjoy a mixed and rich character-driven story and combat campaign. It depends on how you all will play, but let's try and have an entertaining, quality game here. It would be failure in my eyes if all that happened was fight after fight after fight, and no character development. As I mentioned earlier, this correspondence style of D&D has some strengths when it comes to these elements, e.g. you have the time to read the post about your character, think through what you will do, and write a fitting response as to what your character would do. This even compliments the combat. Now, I don't want you all severely metagaming, but if your character is an experienced warrior, perhaps in a certain situation you might research some tactics that your character would probably know, and then use them. I will be flexible on how you get things done, or even where you go in this realm, and I'll reward you guys for thinking through this stuff.

At Awesomeness: if you're feeling confused, I recommend that you play some NWN or NWN2 and get yourself acquainted with the setting. Take some looks at the window on the bottom left of the game's screen, which details the game's equations and mechanics that take place behind the scenes, though most of the game mechanics are common sense. For example, you can guess why a character with higher dexterity points would be more likely to hit a guard's head with a rock she threw from thirty feet compared to the character who has less dexterity, or why that character with less dexterity but, say, more strength, would be more likely to knock out said guard if he succeeded in the lower chance he had to hit him.

I have the basic information for our classic game here of AD&D 2.5e. Pick a combination that strikes your fancy and I'll PM you the details so you can get creating. I think I'll be pretty open with your choices; I'll try to be as eclectic as NW2.

The basic race choices are Human, Dwarf (includes hill, duergar, mountain, and derro), Elf (includes grey elf, wood elf, drow), Half-elf, Gnome, Halfling. Considering I have access to the Monstrous Manual, maybe I'll even allow an unusual choice like a tiefling, centaur, half-ogre, or even a kobold if you give me a good case for one taking up adventuring in the Sword Coast, but be aware that not all populations you come into contact with in this area will be extremely welcoming of creatures stereotyped as hostile. For example, if there have been kobold raids on human travelers on a trade route, as is known to happen, the towns which are connected by such trade routes may potentially treat you with disdain and even hostility, attacking you on site if they feel threatened.

For class, I'll likewise open the possibilities. Express your interest if you have an irregular choice. Basic choices are Warrior (includes fighter, ranger, and I have kits for some others like barbarian), Wizard (includes mage, illusionist, etc.), Priest (includes cleric, druid, etc.), Thief (includes rogue, bard). Be aware that your choices for race can restrict what class you choose. For example, the illusionist class is only open to humans and gnomes. The purpose of this restriction, as the DM guide explains, is to be accurate as to what the races and their cultures are inclined to. As dwarves hold contempt for magic and its users, you probably won't be able to convince me that your character should be a dwarven mage. Though I am not so close-minded as to eliminate all exceptions, let's try and keep choices true to the setting we've selected. PM me if you are just dying to be a dwarven wizard and cannot play the game otherwise if I do not grant you such a thing.

Let me know if I forgot anything. In conclusion, PM me once you have your character and selection, I'll get you the details (like age, rolling your attributes), then you'll build your character, I'll PM you the equipment, decide with me any special items you think your character reasonably already has in possession, and I'll allot you realistic amounts of bacon, some of which will be in the form of your gear and equipment. If there's any leftover money, you can purchase things later in the game, or use however you see fit. Also, once your selection is approved by me, PM your background. Or if you are trying to convince me of your Dwarven wizard or kobold gladiator, send a background that supports your case. I might reward you if your creativity demands it of me. If all of you try to do this though, I will definitely get more stingy about character choices, but for now, this is the deal.

Edited by Blank

I'll try to think of a decent character concept.. is there, perchance, some streamlined manual for AD&D 2.5 somewhere on the net (I'm talking about legal means of course)?

While I've played both Baldur's Gates and Planescape Torment I'd still like to see if I can get a better grasp of the mechanics.

Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale manuals maybe?

I'll try to look into the dvd of Baldur's Gate (and BGII) since the Trilogy edition didn't came with a printed manual (they also didn't put Tales of the Sword Coast, and Throne of Bhaal is only localized, and trust me, I'm still bitter about it).

Well i DMed a campaign in the 3.5 version on the FR, precisely in the Sword Coast, so, while the details now are a bit fuzzy, I'm familiar enough, I just will need to refresh myself a bit (and probably read the 2nd ed. manuals about the setting). Fortunately I believe a lot of settings manuals were (are they still?) available for free on the WotC D&D website (I distinctly remember dling a manual about the northern coast just because I wanted to get a better feel of Neverwinter).

I never play as a wizard, so I'm going gnome illusionist.

-Elwood Blues