Fallout: New Vegas

Huh, for some reason the news post I first saw this on had the price at $100. As much as I have a beef about paying for stuff I really don't want, I'll reverse myself on this one. Well then, will be sure to watch Canadian sites (and by that I guess just Amazon) for it.

Obsidian sure will be getting a good chunk of change from me this year. Well ok, Bethesda might get some too (hisssss).

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maybe I'm just unlucky, or I stroll across into different zones or something. But in an average six game hours I get through about 12 giant radscorpions and 6 yao guai. That's a lot of predator meat to just wander along. If you ask me Bethesda just have the retard view that players aren't happy if they aren't in a fight every minute. It's fine if we're forging new territory, but limping back down the trail it gets real tiresome.

I don't see that radiation isn't a problem. Radaway is a rare item, and quite valuable. on top of which, just read the diary of the nurses at the Germantown police station.

I dunno, I never had it be a problem. In fact the only animal encounters that annoyed me was when the friggin' bloatflies could nail me when I couldn't even see where they were firing from (because a shrub was between us - I couldn't target it but it could target me?)

Radaway is a rare item? Egads, not the last time I played it where I was carrying enough radaway and rad-x to be the main supply of a small army.

My favorite accidental encounter first time playing was a random fight where I was walking along the wasteland in the middle of the night and found robots fighting mutants (at least until they spotted me and they all started firing on me - I was lazered and rocket launched into oblivion (not the game)). Good times.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

From memory radaway is something like 36 caps a shot. That's more than a basic laspistol or combat helmet.

BTW, if you do the Outcast quests and sell them items in exchange for radaway you can come along later, kill the bloke and get it all back. Which is just logical, but I still like it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

really, out of all the previews the ONLY things I've seen which come across as possible negatives to the game are:

1. perhaps too much silly comedy? mutants in wigs? frank sinatra gang? i won't say its too much right now since i don't know, but from the previews it's showing up more than i'd like

fallout 2 was funny at times but the humor was far and away at its best in fallout 1

2. perhaps not enough new art assets/textures... i wouldnt bring this up except that i think it would go a long way to change up some of the basic ground and wall textures so they didnt look the same as f3. i dont know how hard this would be to do, but if it wasn't too time consuming then i think the benefits would be substantial to many folks

all the other information we've gotten has been A++ in my book and I'm REALLY excited about this game

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

dude, it's like 10 bucks more than just the game itself. :/

I'd pay 10 (or 13 or 15 or whatever the equivalent for 10 bucks is in euros) for a Fallout graphic novel by Chris Avellone.

But still, no NCR T-shirt? Quite a disappointment.

Edit: i need to share this mental image i got when i read about this mr. House character.

hugh-laurie-new-movie.jpg

Edited by jero cvmi

But still, no NCR T-shirt? Quite a disappointment.

well...people don't exactly come in one size. this would never happen.

True, true. Still, XXL (they fit all don't they?) promotional T-shirts are a common thing for e.g. the music industry, but that's a totally different deal.

your greatest hope is that the Bethbeast opens up a Bethstore where you can buy all sorts of nifty Bethproduct.

*gag*

NEVER.

Nice looking collectors edition they'll have out.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Mr. House? As in, The House Always Wins?

Guffaw!

Yep. Pretty pathetic, ain't it.

Game developers should leave the "funny" names to Pynchon and Barthelme and just play it straight. Better for everyone.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Perhaps its just me being blindly optimistic, but I assumed "Mr. House" was a pseudonym as opposed to a real name.

Like Mr. Big in those 70s urban crime flicks; dude wasn't actually named Eugene Robert Big or something.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Perhaps its just me being blindly optimistic, but I assumed "Mr. House" was a pseudonym as opposed to a real name.

Like Mr. Big in those 70s urban crime flicks; dude wasn't actually named Eugene Robert Big or something.

It may very well be, and without the context we can't really know.

I'm just picking up the strong stink of grade-z attempts at humor from this game. If it's just a bit of "humor", used sparingly, in the background, then it will be fine. But a little of that sort of thing goes a long way.

I freely admit it is a personal bias: I'm not a big fan of "comedy" games and I am really not a fan of bad-comedy games. I much prefer an attempt to play it as a serious story/world, even if they attempt fails at times. A bit of humor here and there is fine.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I see a pretty significant difference between humor attempted via entertaingly over-the-top characters who nonetheless have some thematic consistency with the gameworld (which appears to be what Obsidz is going for here) and humor based on reciting quotes from contemporary movies (i.e., most of Fallout 2). The former is fun if it can be pulled off (I'd argue that Harold and Bob in FO1 is a good example); the latter should generally be avoided.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I see a pretty significant difference between humor attempted via entertaingly over-the-top characters who nonetheless have some thematic consistency with the gameworld (which appears to be what Obsidz is going for here) and humor based on reciting quotes from contemporary movies (i.e., most of Fallout 2). The former is fun if it can be pulled off (I'd argue that Harold and Bob in FO1 is a good example); the latter should generally be avoided.

Harold had Bob only from 2 onwards though.

Forgot about that; My mistake.

I think my point still stands, though.

Forgot about that; My mistake.

I think my point still stands, though.

Yup, your point still stands, true. I actually believe that Fallout 2 got a lot of things right, but also a lot wrong, though with a figure, I don't know, we could call him/her a 'cohesion lead' that controlled that all the content fit the same tone, it could have been much better.

I could go on about how I would change the game, but probably (and rightfully so) no one is interested, so let's just settle discussing New Vegas.

On this subject, I'd like to point out that Super Mutants have indeed lips. And straps on their faces. Thank God (well, actually no, I'm agnostic).

I generally agree. Although "over-the-top" is a concept that needs delicate handling lest it become insipid. Restraint is usually the best bet.

Though, is what we've seen right now really SO over-the-top?

A supermutant with a wig - is it any worse than the straps on their faces?

Fantastic (the guy of Helios One) - is he any worse than Tandi? (I don't know, actually, since we didn't even have a quote from his dialogue).

I agree that too over-the-top humor, and especially over-the-top humor that doesn't fit the setting can ruin a game, but for now, everything I've seen seems to fit.

Maybe I'm just blinded by the fact that I like almost everything I've seen about the game though.

Though, is what we've seen right now really SO over-the-top?

Nope. That's whay I said I'm only a little concerned. Without the context of the game to see how it all plays out it's impossible to know to what degree adn how much the humor and silliness will play a part.

But there is a substantial amount of of apparent humor attempts in much of what has been seen. Is it too much? Too little? Just right? Successful? Not successful?

Can't say at this point.

There will obviously be some humor, much of it goofy. My personal hope though is thatt he bulk of the game will be played straight and humor will be incidental rather than excessively staged.

I understand your concern Slowtrain, but it's something I've heard a lot, not just here, and since I personally am not THAT concerned (maybe it's because it's Vegas, and.. you know... over-the-topness is the whole point of the city) I wanted to understand how some would be able to make a judgement so quickly.

EDIT : Just to be clear, I'm not talking about you hear. You've already clarified your position on the issue.

ANOTHER EDIT : http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/05/12/s...cebook-twitter/

Fallout New Vegas Q&A organized by Bethesda. I'm pretty sure the questions asked on Twitter or Facebook will have a higher priority, but since I have neither I just went with the comment section.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver