Fallout: New Vegas

reverse-pickpocket
Who came up with this euphemism and why isn't he dead yet?

Peter Hines, was it you?!

Plant an item! Plant! Aaaargh!

Would you prefer The Shady Sands Shuffle? :brows:

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Why does every interviewer want to know if F:NV will be a better "shooter/FPS"? I mean, obviously the combat is a big thing in the game, but instead asking "So are the FPS elements improved??" why doesn't anyone ask exactly how does the combat work skill/stat wise since they're supposed to be the defining elements of efficiency? How are the the RPG elements of combat improved/tweaked? That's what I'd like to know. Otherwise a good read.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

reverse-pickpocket
Who came up with this euphemism and why isn't he dead yet?

Peter Hines, was it you?!

Plant an item! Plant! Aaaargh!

Would you prefer The Shady Sands Shuffle? :brows:

Yes actually. It's better than The Shady Shands Reverse-Organizing.

1. Talon company don't, but those bear things, and giant radscorpions breed like amoeba. So do raiders and enclave.

Never found the raiders or enclave fast to respawn.

With Yao-Gui and radscorpions yeah, but outdoors it makes sense that animals might roam into an area you've cleared out so intellectually that's never been a problem.

3. (the BBC did a dramatised documentary on the after effects of a nuclear strike called Threads. Watch it.) Living above ground after a nuclear strike means absorbing a lot of rads. People die in their mid teens. The old don't pass on skills, since there's no time. Language devolves. 'Fortunately' with no social restrictions or protection the young breed younger. Don't get me started on how creepy it is that little lamplight has only little kids in it yet they're breeding.

Except the Fallout universe has a magical pill that removes all radiation from a person. So any argument about what should happen with radiation is kinda moot.

And everytime people come out of a vault into the wasteland they're bringing science, math, reading and writing with them.

I wondered about little lamplights population. Its curious.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, or I stroll across into different zones or something. But in an average six game hours I get through about 12 giant radscorpions and 6 yao guai. That's a lot of predator meat to just wander along. If you ask me Bethesda just have the retard view that players aren't happy if they aren't in a fight every minute. It's fine if we're forging new territory, but limping back down the trail it gets real tiresome.

I don't see that radiation isn't a problem. Radaway is a rare item, and quite valuable. on top of which, just read the diary of the nurses at the Germantown police station.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The constant critters got extremely annoying after a while I think, especially certain critters like the radscorpions. I know a freeroamer has to have some content in the game while you travel, but there are times in the game where I've stood on a high place in the terrain and looked around and saw freakin' robots, radscorpions (which often come in pairs at higher levels it seems) and other crap in the same general idea. There's not much in the game that can annoy me as much as hearing the combat music starting up and finding that a radscorpion has spotted me from a mile away and is now superintent on following me to the end of the world.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The constant critters got extremely annoying after a while I think, especially certain critters like the radscorpions. I know a freeroamer has to have some content in the game while you travel, but there are times in the game where I've stood on a high place in the terrain and looked around and saw freakin' robots, radscorpions (which often come in pairs at higher levels it seems) and other crap in the same general idea. There's not much in the game that can annoy me as much as hearing the combat music starting up and finding that a radscorpion has spotted me from a mile away and is now superintent on following me to the end of the world.

Nice one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, random encounters shouldn't be that random, they should mean something. When you scout the area from a hilltop (which I love doing) and see a couple of radscorpions etc. you should say "holy crap! it's a [critter name here]", and not "arghh not this s*** again..."

Also what Walsingham said in the same sense; about being in a fight every minute. It's a wasteland FFS, but there was just too many creatures / encounters even for it to be a "hunting ground".

What I said earlier about Talon Company mercs reminded me of something:

That problem in general has a lot to do with some sort of "spawn proximity limit", or lack thereof. You can always literally bump into enemies when you teleport to a place with an encounter, be it random or special. Of course by teleport I mean area transition (going back outside from an enclosed space or even fast-traveling in the world map).

Much like if you fast travel to a town entrance you might bump into a caravan, or rather, they spawn right before your eyes, which is a fixed encounter. When it happens with enemies, it becomes a problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, random encounters shouldn't be that random, they should mean something. When you scout the area from a hilltop (which I love doing) and see a couple of radscorpions etc. you should say "holy crap! it's a [critter name here]", and not "arghh not this s*** again..."

Got it in one.

Didn't we once suggest that survival skill should factor into hostility of baddies. So maybe the key is survival allwos you to skew what you run into. So you can set your attitude to 'spoiling for a fight' or 'just trying to get home'.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Got it in one.

Didn't we once suggest that survival skill should factor into hostility of baddies. So maybe the key is survival allwos you to skew what you run into. So you can set your attitude to 'spoiling for a fight' or 'just trying to get home'.

Yes! That last part could just do the trick.

Also, a simpler approach could be like the one in Borderlands, where enemies have two "threat levels". You get near, they see you, start taunting you like "you wanna piece of me?" or "get the f*** out of our turf!", creatures start getting agitated and hissing at you and such; and when you get closer, they attack. Very simple. Works great.

BTW, survival skill? :blink: Do we have new skills other that the 13 in FO3?

I really should learn to do my homework... :ermm:

This just reminds me that Mark Morgan needs to compose the score for NV. :blink:

It'll likely be the first thing I mod into NV, but I'll give the Inon Zur original a chance before I do.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

IIRC they confirmed that the game will have the same skills.

And to be honest, Outsdoorsman doesn't work very well in a 1st/3rd person game.

They could do with toning down the spawn in the wasteland a bit and making monsters less intent on fighting just you when there are a lot of worse threats nearby.

Also, a simpler approach could be like the one in Borderlands, where enemies have two "threat levels". You get near, they see you, start taunting you like "you wanna piece of me?" or "get the f*** out of our turf!", creatures start getting agitated and hissing at you and such; and when you get closer, they attack. Very simple. Works great.

Yes, I can vouch for this system too. They've been using in in the Gothic series since 2001 and it's very instinctive, very audiovisual and it gives you a chance to at least avoid some enemies, if not all. I would vastly prefer this to being hunted by one hundred giant rad scorpions all over the wasteland.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, I can vouch for this system too. They've been using in in the Gothic series since 2001 and it's very instinctive, very audiovisual and it gives you a chance to at least avoid some enemies, if not all. I would vastly prefer this to being hunted by one hundred giant rad scorpions all over the wasteland.

I dunno. Now you mention it the thought of you being pursued by a chitinous wave of clacking pincers is quite funny.

-Elwood Blues

IIRC they confirmed that the game will have the same skills.

And to be honest, Outsdoorsman doesn't work very well in a 1st/3rd person game.

They could do with toning down the spawn in the wasteland a bit and making monsters less intent on fighting just you when there are a lot of worse threats nearby.

Outdoorsman didn't even work wonders in the previous games... :blink: I mean, by the time you could have a decent percentage of that skill, you would already have a decent build and/or party that could hold their own in a fight, so why pass up on that little extra xp?..

But talking about NV, I would definitely consider the Borderlands type of approach with encounters. You wouldn't believe the genius gameplay elements in such a shallow shooter game.