Fallout: New Vegas

Unless you're Infinity Ward, I suspect all companies refer to it as "we" as they should.

Fallout: New Vegas, and your excitement for it, wouldn't even exist if Bethesda hadn't agreed to let Obsidian work on it.

You might not like it, but that's the way it is.

Seems like a pretty insignificant thing for you to get upset about personally. Oh well.

Unless you're Infinity Ward, I suspect all companies refer to it as "we" as they should.

taking credit for something you're not actually responsible for does not fall into the "should" of my world.

Fallout: New Vegas, and your excitement for it, wouldn't even exist if Bethesda hadn't agreed to let Obsidian work on it.

if this game is better than 3 it is because Obsidian developed it, not because "Bethesda learned from their mistakes" etc.

You might not like it, but that's the way it is.

did i argue that this isn't the way it is? i don't recall having done that.

Seems like a pretty insignificant thing for you to get upset about personally. Oh well.

oh. right. because generally forums and things like video-games are "significant". right. i'm not here trying to save the world, i'm bored at work.

Seems normal PR talk to me, it's not like is the first publisher to use the 'we' form, not to mention that Bethesda has a much closer relationship with the developer than most publishers for a variety of reasons, like the fact that, like it or not, it's their franchise now, the fact that Obsidian is building on their technology base and the fact that, for all their fault, Bethesda seems like a very good publisher to me (though they sometimes publish very very ****ty games like Rogue Warrior).

It's pointless tring to explain it. Once you've been branded a "FO Defender" or a "Bethesda Basher" people stop reading what you're saying and simply attach whatever meanings they want to your post.

I still make my posts re: Fallout 1/2/3 and Bethesda but I don't bother going back and forth with people about them. Absolutely an exercise in futility.

Oh please, if anyone on this forum has been a 'victim' in the Fallout 'vs' discussions it has been people who enjoy Fallout 3. You get called a retard here if you like Fallout 3.

Nah, Fallout 3 is pretty well received here. Not Best Game Ever well-received, but good enough. I enjoyed it.

But its still got aspects worth criticizing, especially in the hopes that Obs and NV might be in a position to make some positive changes.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

im late to the party but regarding red shield and damage threshold in FNV....

oh hell yes!

also iron sights = awesome

also again, damage threshold = thank god. sawyer's explanation of the red shield makes perfect sense to me and i fully approve

oh and not to forget: checks being threshold instead of constantly hitting f5 = MUCH MUCH BETTER

sawyer is no fool, he's making sensical and smart decisions to improve the mechanics of the game. lets hope that the other people on board can follow up with interesting level design and smart and fun quests

imo: fallout 3 was a fun video game, but a lousy fallout game. and it was NOT a fallout sequel, but rather a spin off like tactics

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

im late to the party but regarding red shield and damage threshold in FNV....

oh hell yes!

also iron sights = awesome

also again, damage threshold = thank god. sawyer's explanation of the red shield makes perfect sense to me and i fully approve

oh and not to forget: checks being threshold instead of constantly hitting f5 = MUCH MUCH BETTER

sawyer is no fool, he's making sensical and smart decisions to improve the mechanics of the game. lets hope that the other people on board can follow up with interesting level design and smart and fun quests

Same here on all points, including the first line. I think you meant F9 though... :lol:

fallout 3 was a fun video game, but a lousy fallout game.

I remember saying almost exactly the same thing to a friend some time ago. There was something that made the originals special which cannot be clearly explained. You might call it "soul" I guess. And with Obsidian, I believe that soul will return, simple as that. That's why I know I'll enjoy it both as a great FPRPG and a great Fallout game.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

im late to the party but regarding red shield...

Why do I keep thinking "Salvation Army" everytime somebody says "Red Shield"?... >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I remember saying almost exactly the same thing to a friend some time ago. There was something that made the originals special which cannot be clearly explained. You might call it "soul" I guess. And with Obsidian, I believe that soul will return, simple as that. That's why I know I'll enjoy it both as a great FPRPG and a great Fallout game.

yep. it felt like the cast of Friends trying to recreate a Monty Python episode.

Never played F3 in 3rd person mode, never will.

of course not, who would? since it was obviously only added so people could "look at themselves" and not as a game-play element. since many people prefer 3rd person though, i'd imagine this is why it's of interesting note to read that New Vegas is being tweaked to make 3rd person actually playable.

I always played in 3d over the shoulder. Which was also why I was running around in raider badlands armour towards the end of the game. The only gear I could stand looking at. I only discovered by accident that it was possible to zoom in with the mouse wheel all the way to FPS view. I honestly don't think many people played the game in first person.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

yep. it felt like the cast of Friends trying to recreate a Monty Python episode.

:w00t: Absolutely spot on.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How about some general grittiness for the setting?

The original two "Fallout" games -- especially the second -- were surprisingly grim and gritty. Prostitution, drugs, a general disdain for the human spirit

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Going by other Bethesda games and what I've garnered from here there will be nothing even remotely X rated about FO NV.

If, by X rated, you mean visual representation of pixelated nudity, sure. And there doesn't need to be. In fact, not having anything such would be a good thing. What's more important (imo), are the references and the mentioned effects to the people. The feeling of grime often comes from things you do not witness first hand but are made aware of them and see the effects.

Edited by Undecaf

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I dunno, the screenies I've seen tend towards being more goofball than grimey.

I can agree to that. Then again, we haven't seen the Strip. In general, though, I don't pay too much attention for screens as they tend to not show the best parts - or anything to particularly look forward to - of the game in this genre.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for mutant transvestite prostitutes.

Awww. My castle in the clouds just came crashing down and killed the cattle. :p

A quick question. Do we know how large will Fallout: New Vegas be compared to Fallout 3?

About the same size.

As most of you probably noticed (and enjoyed) FO 1&2, while visually inferior to today's games, had that claustrophobic, even scary atmosphere that FO3 lacks. In FO3 they tried to give us the "scary" in the form of ambushing feral ghouls, lurking yao guai / deathclaws etc. and I'm not exactly a fan of horror games. I just liked the feeling that something baaad is going to happen around the corner, not the fact that it actually happens.

Even running around in DC ruins covered in grey rubble or metro tunnels with wrecked trains couldn't convey that feeling. I think it's largely due to the color palette / textures / lighting used in FO3. When used out of place, even a slight blue/green hue can succesfully take all the fun out of a well designed environment / atmosphere.

I think this could be (more or less) overcome with a simple lighting tweak. For me, the ideal color palette for any FO game would be ash grey + blood red + dusty yellow + radioactive green. Actually, dirty / dark / neutral colors overall... :p

On another note:

The music / ambient sounds.

In FO3 the music worked pretty well for the "desert adventure" that FO3 is. But in NV, I'd prefer something more "Fallout-y" to really get that eerie atmosphere going again...

I never felt Fallout 1/2 atmosphere to be particularly claustrophobic. Oppressive? Yes. Desperate? Yes.

But not claustrophobic. (Yeah, semantics, but they're important for me :p )

I think a lot of the atmosphere in Fallout 1/2 was conveyed through the use of the soundtrack and sound effects.. something Fallout 3 did well, but not as well as the originals.

To be honest, though, I don't expect that kind of atmosphere from New Vegas, and wouldn't want that too.

We're talking about the desert surrounding Vegas, and I think Obsidian is touching the themes of the city nicely so far : a contrast between the humour of the location and the quite depressing occupations of the wastelanders.

snip

Agreed. The use of lighting and colors can do wonders to the atmosphere. Which reminds me about how eastern european games (like the Witcher and Arma 2 for example) seem to be using less overpowering colors and more natural lighting and thus succeed in creating greater atmosphere than their western counterparts. Is that some East Europe thing or what, I don't know, but I do wish other developers used that technique too.

And agreed about the sounds and music too.

Edited by Undecaf