Fallout: New Vegas

A quite interesting interview on Joystiq.

It's nice to see they're making improvements to the 3rd person camera too.

We're still kind of tweaking the third-person camera, but we have looked at it and made a few adjustments. And again, it's mostly like a feel thing. There are a few things about the third-person camera that can make things tricky. One of them we found is the sort of offset of the camera from the character itself, because, basically, the bullet is always originating from the weapon, and because it's like a pretty wide field of view -- it's like a 70-degree field of view -- it can produce a disconnect.

So, where you are aiming in terms of the screen versus where your character is aiming, there is a pretty big disconnect there. So we've tried to address some of that just by kind of pushing and pulling those angles and distances around a little bit. Because we have found that people here do like playing in third-person. And those changes seem to have made a pretty big improvement in the feel of third-person shooting especially. I'm sure there was another component to your question.

I'm very happy that they're addressing my greatest issue with fallout 3. I only wish they were addressing it in a more ...substantial way, like e.g. raycasting the players' crosshairs a la Bloodlines' 3rd person camera (not sure if feasible tho)

Never played F3 in 3rd person mode, never will.

of course not, who would? since it was obviously only added so people could "look at themselves" and not as a game-play element. since many people prefer 3rd person though, i'd imagine this is why it's of interesting note to read that New Vegas is being tweaked to make 3rd person actually playable.

It's pointless tring to explain it. Once you've been branded a "FO Defender" or a "Bethesda Basher" people stop reading what you're saying and simply attach whatever meanings they want to your post.

I still make my posts re: Fallout 1/2/3 and Bethesda but I don't bother going back and forth with people about them. Absolutely an exercise in futility.

Oh please, if anyone on this forum has been a 'victim' in the Fallout 'vs' discussions it has been people who enjoy Fallout 3. You get called a retard here if you like Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 was warmly received here originally. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but quite a few folks were enjoying it. Then Obsidian got NV and we ended up with a few new folks, and most of them treated FO3 like some sort of crime against humanity. The thing is most of the regulars don't really go in the Fallout threads anymore, it's just a few people and most of those are a bit rabid.

I wander in occasionally hoping for a new JE Sawyer tidbit.

I've never actually seen anyone here get bashed on for liking Fallout 3, or anywhere. Aside from posting praise which will obviously lead to a blow-up. Maybe people are over-sensitive ? Definitely seen some people react strongly to any criticism of the game, as people do with any game.

But yeah, I blame all these dirty untermensch people that joined after NV was announced :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wander in occasionally hoping for a new JE Sawyer tidbit.

Is it odd that when I first saw this I thought "Jade Empire Sawer" for some reason?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It means Bioware is seizing control of your brain.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually I really like a few of the folks that have come over with the NV news, like Slowtrain (I believe that's how he got here.) But that is because they have taken part in other discussions.

And I do appreciate Twinkie's honesty about being obsessed with Fallout 1 & 2. You are very dedicated and that is worth admiring. Although it's also slightly insane :)

Good Lord, go back to your owl avatar rather than...that...thing. :)

the possibility that the fo apologist might be correct.

how is there a "correct" here? there was something about the original games which gave me this "devotion" and reeled me in. those things, for the most part, are absent from Bethesda's version. those things (some more tangible and easily defined/explained than others) are things i want to return. that's as complex as the issue gets. it's not about right/wrong objectively speaking. 'least not from my perspective.

there is indeed "correct." sure, is no "correct" when you are discussing matters of taste. you liked fo... is not possible for Gromnir to find fault in your like/dislike o' fo.

'course not all issues discussed on these board is simple matters o' taste. were fo1 jnpcs well-developed? were fo1 skills balanced? did twink sudden do 180 when josh pointed out that fo1 hand holding were more extreme? etc. some fo:nv issues discussed is not matters o' taste. there is "correct."

adoration o' fo is not wrong. is many game developers that admire fo and maybe even enjoyed it more than does twink. there may be some developers that got into the biz Because o' their fascination and enjoyment o' fo. am well aware that immediate following the release o' fo2, there were numerous black isle developers that were eagerly anticipating the opportunity to work on another fo game... and they were greatly disappointed that black isle/interplay never managed to finish such a game. is loads o' folks in the industry (and possibly more than a couple at obsidian) who thinks fo were one o' the bestest crpgs evar. but so what? appreciate fo not mean you gotta defend fo design. is possible to like fo IN SPITE of some poor design, and there ain't nothing wrong with admitting that cain and co. didn't do everything right.

there is "correct." being an fo apologist not make you incorrect. apologist label is nothing more than a way to explain certain inconsistencies... and a recognition that there is point beyond which rational argument is pointless. for example, Gromnir is a Robert De Niro apologist-- we purposely didn't watch Rocky and Bullwinkle or Righteous Kill as we didn't wanna have to confront the possibility that De Niro could give a bad performance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Actually I really like a few of the folks that have come over with the NV news, like Slowtrain (I believe that's how he got here.)

Slowtrain is Crashgirl isn't he? He changed the name so people didn't think he was a girl. :)

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

not sure why i keep taking the bait, but that's what one does when a thread is slow i suppose.

did twink sudden do 180 when josh pointed out that fo1 hand holding were more extreme?

* first, there was no 180. a 180 would suggest i went from hating the idea of a thing to loving the idea of a thing. i certainly don't love the idea of the red shield. i went from "hating" it to "meh". that's more like a 40 degree angle at best.

* second, my feelings changed from "hate" to "meh" because Josh explained the red shield implementation in detail and i then had a better understanding of it. i had previously jumped to an unfair conclusion and admitted as much.

* third, i never agreed that fo1 had hand-holding, so that had nothing to do with saying "oh. well, meh". i specifically said there still seems to be something less like hand-holding about the text-box.

In what way Hurlshot?

Sounds like it's gonna be a real good deal for both companies, given the short development time.

I'd be worried if it didn't outsell FO3 what it'd mean for Obsidian given the high expectations.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I think you need to look at this in the same way people from Sega are saying, "we," when giving interviews and quotes about AP. To assume that no one from Bethesda has had anything to do with the development of F:NV is a little bit silly.

if this game is better than 3 it is because Obsidian developed it, not because "Bethesda learned from their mistakes" etc.