Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Graphics Card R.I.P.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts
I am still using my 8800 gts g92.

It still rocks.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts

Usually when I can't think of anything to waste my money on I save it. Because you never know how ****ty the future can be.

I earn enough to both buy useless shinies and save. Good times. :shifty:

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Dialing the number for Skatteverket... :shifty:

My very noisy and constantly crashing ATI card is getting on my nerves. I seriously considered the EVGA GTX580 1536MB FTW 015-P3-1589-KR Hydro Copper 2 for a while. That is, until I discovered that Swifttech makes the water cooling block it comes with. Then I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
http://www.nordichar...tstart=#content

It's a review of 6970 and 6950.. but in Swedish. I'm now undecided if I'm going to upgrade. I was hoping for a bigger difference between my 5870 and the 6970. I mean, the 6970 is faster and my 5870 is slacking.. but compared to Nvidia they're not doing so good. The 6970 is equal to the GTX570. AMD has no competitor for the GTX580 yet.

Maybe I should wait for the 6990? Decisions.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts
6950 Crossfire might be turn out to be the best value high end solution - costs about 20% more than a single GTX580 but 50-70% faster. That'd be the upper bound of the 6990 I imagine, depending on how much they end up having to cut it down to fit in the 300W envelope.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9114 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Since I prefer a single GPU, the 580 is making me drool. But $500...blech. Maybe it'll drop to $400 by summer/years end when I really want to upgrade from the 275. Not that the 275 is giving me any issues, still runs everything like a champ. I just want new toys.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
At the moment my budget-minded 5770 with the slaved 9800 GT is enough to run anything I've needed it to, so I'll likely stick with that until I need to upgrade to something else.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts
So, nVidia launch the GTX590 to attempt to smoke AMD ....and end up taking it a bit too literally. With some mild overclocking/overvolting within the protection parameters, several review sites, using a mix of samples and retail boards have reported their test cards blowing up - indeed one tester had both his cards independently fail. Thermal imaging of the card in a closed case have shown the PCB heating up in excess of 110C.

This mad pursuit of power isn't really the way forward. Hopefully both vendors get their act together and end this stupidity much how the gigahertz wars ended after the ill-fated Prescott Pentium 4.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

So, nVidia launch the GTX590 to attempt to smoke AMD ....and end up taking it a bit too literally. With some mild overclocking/overvolting within the protection parameters, several review sites, using a mix of samples and retail boards have reported their test cards blowing up - indeed one tester had both his cards independently fail. Thermal imaging of the card in a closed case have shown the PCB heating up in excess of 110C.

Actually i just call this an opportunity for an integrated marketing campaign. Graphics card comes with a subscription service of posted toaster muffins or something.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts
Watercooling is the way to go. So many nuclear reactors can't be wrong :lol:

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

Actually i just call this an opportunity for an integrated marketing campaign. Graphics card comes with a subscription service of posted toaster muffins or something.

In terms of hybridisation, Deep Fryer + PC has been done: http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1104341

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

In terms of hybridisation, Deep Fryer + PC has been done: http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1104341

I may have to show that to a fireman, just so I can see a grown man cry.

He deep fried chips on his floor?!!!!!!

baWOOOOMSH!

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts
I have been getting sporatic blue screens with my HD 4500 (i think) older model anyway, but much worse than that, the fan has started howling something awful every time I go into full 3D, starting a game etc, it makes no perceptible noise with light activity, browsing, watching movies etc. My attempts to clean it out have all failed.

What's the consensus on the best value if you were buying right now ?. Things like power consumption are a concern. I rarely ever turn my computer off.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts
HD 4800. I remember now.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts
At increasing price points I feel the best options for the time being are: GTX460 1GB (not the SE model), HD6850/70, HD6950 (2GB useful for resolutions over 1080p).

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
I would suggest the Radeon HD6870. It's really good value for the performance it gives. Right now there's no incentive to get anything more expensive than that.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9114 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It may not be rational, but I really want the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2. >_<

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts

It may not be rational, but I really want the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2. >_<

Only problem with that one is that Swiftech is doing the waterblock. They are the worst manufacturing quality I've seen on water blocks. Made the mistake of buying one once for my CPU. I took a look at it, the low production values, the screws that didn't quite fit and a few other things and threw it all in the rubbish bin. Bought EK products instead. If they had had somebody else making the blocks, I would probably have considered it.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I just bought a used Radeon HD 5870 a couple weeks ago for 150. I think the HD 5000 series is faster than the HD 6000 series.

Either way, awesome card!

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts
All that still requires a water cooling cabinet right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users