Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Graphics Card R.I.P.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10612 posts
So, with everything up and running smoothly, fast and quiet... my old Zalman Reserator 2 decided to die on me. Turns out that there is s design flaw in the flow measuring gadget and as a result the product has been pulled from the market. No spare parts available either :rolleyes:

All that nice hardware is now sitting and gathering dust, due to lack of cooling. I already started ordering alternative cooling solutions. One EK-CoolStream RAD XT (360) and 3 NB Blacksilent XLP - PWM 120mm fans plus barbs and mounting brackets. That still leaves me with a decision to make on reservoir and pump. Currently in my sights is the RP-1000BK combo product.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Come to papa..

http://www.techspot....ts-xt-core.html

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Really? I'd thought you'd wait for the high end cards instead of the middle range ones? This would be the 5770 of the next generation, I doubt it'll perform much better than the card you already have.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Rumours. Noone knows what's up yet.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Crap, Spider (and the rumours) were right. The 6870 consumes less power than the 5870, but is performing equal or even slightly worse. At about 60% of the price of a 5870!

http://www.guru3d.co...50-6870-review/

So it's incredible value but not what I am looking for. I am guessing the high end will now be called 69XX.. but what will the dual-GPU setup be called then?

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Also 69xx.

The performance cards will be 6950, 6970 and 6990 according to all info I've seen.

They should be released in novemeber, so you won't have to wait that long to upgrade.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
To clarify, he 6990 will be the dual-GPU version - which is slightly confusing in terms of naming. (I prefer the old 4870x2 idiot-proof naming convention), although it's not obvious what kind of compromises it makes in relation to the single 6970. 68xx Crossfire scaling has been amazing (you get ~90% improvement from the second card this gen vs 60-70% last time around) so there's high hopes that the 6990 may turn out to be better relative to its little brothers than the 5970 was.

The 6950 and 6970 are late-ish November, the 6990 won't be until mid-late December.

Nvidia planning to retaliate with a GTX580 but rumours are that it'll be nothing but two high-binned GTX460 chips on one board.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Let's hope these numbers are correct:

http://www.tweaktown...ults/index.html

Approximately 25-27% faster than the 5870. Reason enough for me to upgrade, especially since I'm not very fond of my Powercolor (which is a replacement product because my retailer screwed up my Sapphire Vapor-X order).

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
Hard to tell, AMD have been known to not-infrequently release fake leaks about their own products - apparently in response to some pretty widespread real leaking of pre-release stuff in the past.

I have no idea whether to categorise that as smart or stupid business strategy ....just a confusing one.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2177 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Let's hope these numbers are correct:

http://www.tweaktown...ults/index.html

Approximately 25-27% faster than the 5870. Reason enough for me to upgrade, especially since I'm not very fond of my Powercolor (which is a replacement product because my retailer screwed up my Sapphire Vapor-X order).

Just out of pure curiosity:

Why get a brand new GFX card that runs game X 80fps with max settings if the old one runs the same game most likely around 60-70fps?

What's the difference with different manufacturers? As far as I know, pretty much the only real difference tends to be the cooler?

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
On numbers alone I wouldn't upgrade for anything less than +50% performance, but for a lot of people it's not the only metric for evaluating an upgrade. There's noise, heat, power consumption, exclusive features (e.g. Eyefinity, 3D, PhysX, audio bitstreaming) or even something like one's favourite game having issues with a particular chip. I upgraded my X1950XT to an 8800GT not for performance but because the fan on the former was starting to wear out and click. Of course, those better financially resourced than myself could probably justify any performance upgrade on that criteria alone.

Aside from coolers, card vendors might differentiate on software bundle (free games), included accessories (probably not so common these days), warranty length/tranferability, PCB colour (for people with windowed cases), packaging (there was a card recently that came in a large novelty rifle plastic case) and of course, price. There are also the factory overclocked variants, although this tends to be more obvious a decision than the aforementioned.

Edited by Humanoid, 27 October 2010 - 03:58 AM.

Slinky

Slinky

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2177 posts
I see, thanks.

I guess I'm just not enough pro to care much more than the noise level. I always replace the cooler with a third party cooler to cut the noise down.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
I just need something new and shiny to spend my cash on.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
OK, it is now December and the 6970 is nowhere to be seen.

I AM DISAPPOINT

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
It's not until the 13th now, apparently Texas Instruments screwed up a shipment and there's a big parts shortage.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

OK, it is now December and the 6970 is nowhere to be seen.

I AM DISAPPOINT

Name me one game that needs such horsepower to run properly.

Hell, even Crysis 2 will run better than Crysis 1, and Rage even runs with 60 fps on a 360. I have no need to upgrade anytime soon.

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Metro 2033

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Bah, who cares. Why do girls buy make-up? Why do you buy candy? Why do people buy luxury items in general?

I just want the latest shiny for no logical reason.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts
No graphics card in the world can run Battlecruiser 3000AD well.

Edited by Humanoid, 03 December 2010 - 05:55 AM.

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10099 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Bah, who cares. Why do girls buy make-up? Why do you buy candy? Why do people buy luxury items in general?

I just want the latest shiny for no logical reason.

Well, whatever floats your boat.

Usually when I can't think of anything to waste my money on I save it. Because you never know how ****ty the future can be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users