Graphics Card R.I.P.

Gorth

Assuming I ever get this rig running properly again, that is. :lol:

That was my thought too when reinstalling the 3rd time in 2 months :sweat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You give me hope that it's a simple problem, Gorth. :sweat:

Hubs did that test of his on the new WD drive. It almost immediately started making bad noise and after a partial pass of the test, it went "offline" on it's own. Hubs stared at it & the stats he managed to get, said "It's bad. Your bad-sector old HD even did better than this one. Take that crap back." I lol'd.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 1 year later...

Gfx cards just hates me :unsure:

Not even 15 months old and it now has decided to put up a psychedelic display of flashing vertical lines in interesting patterns =]

I wonder what deity I have offended?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Obviously it is your destiny to remain forevermore with integrated graphics. :sorcerer:

It seems to be an intermittent thing. It doesn't crash my PC, but it sure as heck is a pain to look at. I had planned on a new PC at the end of 2013, I would hate to have start spending already (I wouldn't have the funds before mid-February anyway) >_

The laptop I'm typing this on hasn't been able to render any 3D graphics without breaking into random grey artifacts for about two year now, but no problems whatsoever in 2D. Last card I had fail put green pixels all over the place in 2D even fresh after a cold boot. In the former case it's almost assuredly the GPU core, but the latter I think is likely symptomatic of failing graphics memory.

I recall that you water-cool your system, so perhaps it's possible the failures are due to inadequate VRAM cooling (assuming your waterblock covers the GPU only)? Individual RAMsinks without direct airflow over them?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I recall that you water-cool your system, so perhaps it's possible the failures are due to inadequate VRAM cooling (assuming your waterblock covers the GPU only)? Individual RAMsinks without direct airflow over them?

Yeah, water cooled alright :)

Got an EVGA GXT590 Classified Hydro Copper with factory fitted water block, covering the entire card (both gpu's, all vram, voltage controllers and just about everything else). I was too lazy to keep fitting water blocks on my cards when they rarely lasted 6 months.

Crossing fingers and hoping it will keep running for at least a few more months.

How quiet is your system. On paper fans are supposed to offer a good noise ratio, but over time **** gets into all the nooks and crannies and they start making an infernal racket. Some of that dust also gathers inside your graphics cooling unit where you can't get to it easily and requiring faster spinning under full load to compensate for reduced efficiency.

There are still fans in a water cooled system, notably one fast spinning one near the CPU connection, but is that something that can easily be replaced, say once every year.

No, 'g.ook' is not a racial slur. I should be offended the filter thought me so crass.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Lets just say, it's not as quiet as it used to be. My former Zalman radiator/pump used passive cooling and had no fans. May it rest in piece. My current system has the sort of mandatory PSU fan on the back of the PC and then 3 fans on the radiator (of which I sometimes disconnect 1 or 2, depending on need, I can also regulate their speed, but I already run them at low speed). So it's not "noiseless", but compared to the vacuum cleaner sound of a fan cooled high end gfx card under load, it's doing pretty darn good in comparison (unlike fan cooled systems, the noise is constant, even when put under heavy load).

• 4 weeks later...

This is getting frustrating... the flickering is now constant and a pain in my rear anatomy. I still don't know if it's the motherboard, the gfx card, the monitor or the power supply that is not up to the challenge.

I think I'll bring home a laptop to hook up to the monitor, just to rule that one out. It seems resolution independent, so even the humble laptop should be able to provide a test screen. I'm seriously tempted to buy a "disposable" gfx card after that, to see if it's the culprit and carry me over until the regularly scheduled system upgrade. If it's not the gfx card, then it will still be usable on my old (current) system as a "No. 2" pc. Some day, a card manufacturer is going to come up with a card that lasts for a full 2 year and the world will end.

Hope it's not the psu, because that's a Pandoras box of problems, been there.. In case it's the PSU I hope the model you have got some fail-safe protection vs. over/under-voltage.

My old ATi HD 4850 still works, even though I replaced it, but it was having a problem with one of the DVI outs for quite some time, which were showing up as a very annoying flickering.. Like some kind of Winter Olympics game in the background. Have you tried switching the gfx output?

(Signatures: disabled) 

Hope it's not the psu, because that's a Pandoras box of problems, been there.. In case it's the PSU I hope the model you have got some fail-safe protection vs. over/under-voltage.

My old ATi HD 4850 still works, even though I replaced it, but it was having a problem with one of the DVI outs for quite some time, which were showing up as a very annoying flickering.. Like some kind of Winter Olympics game in the background. Have you tried switching the gfx output?

I've finally placed an order for a new case, so I figured when it arrived, I would try a few things, amongst them switching the "rails" on the PSU (tried the monitor output on the gfx card to no avail), just to see if it's the cause. Doesn't help I'm going to be out of state all next week, so it wont be before the week after that again :(

Seems weird that you have such trouble with GPU's. :( Not that I'm an expert in such things. Maybe they're just allergic to your rig. :lol:

When I buy a new GPU I toss the old ones towards hubby, if he wants it, since he doesn't care at all about graphic bells and whistles. So typically they're still going/seeing use 3-4 years later. There's only been one card I bought in all these years that failed within a year.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Seems weird that you have such trouble with GPU's. :( Not that I'm an expert in such things. Maybe they're just allergic to your rig. :lol:

When I buy a new GPU I toss the old ones towards hubby, if he wants it, since he doesn't care at all about graphic bells and whistles. So typically they're still going/seeing use 3-4 years later. There's only been one card I bought in all these years that failed within a year.

I could understand it if it had been the same rig, but just about everything was replaced at the same time. First few cards died on the old PC and the recent batch of cards on my current PC (the last card did last almost 2 years though).

I have an old Leadtek FX5900 card which is still chugging away in my old Pentium 4 archeotech computer (it's AGP though, not PCI, so I can't use it elsewhere), getting close to its 10th year :)