Graphics Card R.I.P.

Gorth

I said F-it and bought it.

Decisiveness :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not my usual style, but this time I did it. Yay. :lol:

Goober question...single GPU/card use, do I need the multiple-GPU function/choice? Or can I check the "disable it"? What I'm not understanding is that EVGA's Precision thingie, only GPU2 gets "hot" to any degree when gameplaying, like it's largely/only using that one/is only one, yet it shows settings for 2. That normal? Does it only use GPU1 if you're actually drawing upon the "amazing real time physics effects?" I don't understand?

2gpus.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not my usual style, but this time I did it. Yay. :lol:

Goober question...single GPU/card use, do I need the multiple-GPU function/choice? Or can I check the "disable it"? What I'm not understanding is that EVGA's Precision thingie, only GPU2 gets "hot" to any degree when gameplaying, like it's largely/only using that one/is only one, yet it shows settings for 2. That normal? Does it only use GPU1 if you're actually drawing upon the "amazing real time physics effects?" I don't understand?

I'm no expert (and haven't looked at nVidia settings for many years), but I would guess that the disable multi-gpu thing is for compatibility reasons if you have games/apps that really don't like the SLI/Crossfire thing (which is what you essentially have now). It is normal for one GPU to get warmer than the other (mine always do). Presumably because you really only need to invoke the second if you put more work on it than a single GPU can handle.

I will have to wait until Amazon gets mine in stock and shipped. I haz green demon bag full of envy :x

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ah...ok, that makes sense. I'll leave it alone then. So far it does seem to run slightly cooler than the old 275, but that could just be because it has no dust in it. :shifty: Heats up the CPU/overall case innards a bit more because the 590 doesn't blow all the GPU heat directly outside of the case, however. Two Worlds2 is the only dx10 specific game I have at the moment, I think, and the 275 was getting 30-35fps using that mode & seemed less stable. Playable, but I've gotten used to having at least 50-60fps in all games so that's why I ran out for a new one. (spoiled now...) 275 was getting 50-60 in dx9 mode tho.

Anyway, haven't tested it a lot yet but it's definitely a nice card for a single configuration. The reviews/benchmarks I've read online seem to be about right. Still think it's stupidly overpriced tho. Now to have fun trying some other games. :lol:

Here's a couple full-size, low-compression 2W2 screens, both using the 590 but one is dx9 and one is dx10. Not the best game to use (since for some reason it doesn't allow AA in dx9, in-game) but it's what I'm playing right now. Interesting to notice the differences between the dx, like how dx9 is so much more "glare-y/bright". I have no clue what dx10 is supposed to do "better." Didn't force any higher settings via the card itself.

dx9

2W2-000000033.jpg

dx10

2W2-000000032.jpg

Edit:fixed link

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The first one looks blurry and "bloom" like, the second one looks clearer on the details :shifty:

The game is so weird...I have their Bloom setting turned down to 0 but it still does that in the dx9 version. It's icky. heh

I need a graphic-hungry/pretty game (FNV doesn't count)...

Battlefield 3 is out soon (tuesday int eh US I think), if that's your cup of tea. That's about as pretty as it gets these days. Otherwise maybe Deus Ex? It's at least very pretty and a very good game to boot.

I'm not much into highly military-styled shooters, if that makes sense (I know they're all gun/whoohaa themed, just prefer more fantasy settings). Deus Ex is a maybe...

The 2 GPU thing on this card still confuses me (the fan settings, the heat stuff) but whatever....as long as it turns me on when I play the games.

Whee!... got an email from Amazon that they expect to deliver my card sooner than first promised. Like shipping tomorrow and arriving early November (which is an improvement over late December) >_

Well, I'll save the true celebrations for when the card is securely fastened in my PC.

It's always makes me a bit nervous putting a new shiny in the rig, wondering/hoping that everything will be fine with it when I turn it on. :D

I have two dx11 games now...probably not the bestest, but they look nice. Still, despite all the new stuff, I'm still of the opinion that the AA/AF are two of the biggest appearance-difference makers. If you put everything back on low/dx9 except with a high AA/AF, it still looks pretty darn good/shiny.

It's always makes me a bit nervous putting a new shiny in the rig, wondering/hoping that everything will be fine with it when I turn it on. :D

I have two dx11 games now...probably not the bestest, but they look nice. Still, despite all the new stuff, I'm still of the opinion that the AA/AF are two of the biggest appearance-difference makers. If you put everything back on low/dx9 except with a high AA/AF, it still looks pretty darn good/shiny.

I don't even know if I have any dx11 games :unsure:

The ad on Amazon said I would get a digital download version of some Arkham game as part of the offer. I noticed too that it (this particular model) is out of stock again :rolleyes:

I'll probably end up getting IP banned, thinking I'm a hacker for constantly refreshing the tracking info (it should arrive on Friday, Aussie time) :sorcerer:

Let there be light... with the latest shader technologies and dynamic shadows! :rolleyes:

UPS Guys dropped off box of goodies at my doorstep this morning. Looking forward to get home from work and play with my new toys. Lets see if this thing works :)

How's it going/what do you think so far? :grin:

:wub:

I should have done this a year ago. Of course, it was pretty much what I did a year ago :lol:

Not having much (i.e. pretty much none) spare time outside work, I did put it through its paces with some of the games that just a month ago would "hang" my system after 10 minutes of play. Only one game bsod'ed my PC, but that was an improvement I suppose over just hanging the system :grin:

I expect that I now have to work my way through that laundry list of games I've purchased over the last 12 months (like 40 titles or so), that I haven't been able to play due to stability issues. Even better, I now have a warranty that lasts past the first 14 days :sorcerer:

The performace isn't noticeably faster than my 5970 card, but the silence of not having the squeeling capacitor/coil and the constant "The display driver has stopped responding" errors is worth every cent :)

Glad to hear it's going so well. I love new toys! :lol:

Going to OC yours or leave it at stock? Someday I'll learn how to do that...maybe. heh

Glad to hear it's going so well. I love new toys! :)

Going to OC yours or leave it at stock? Someday I'll learn how to do that...maybe. heh

I suppose there is a certain irony in me having a liquid cooled system, when I was never really into the OC thing. It all came about back in time when I got tired of listening to the "vaccuum cleaner" standing next to my monitor. While there now are two low noise fans cooling the external radiator, noise levels are at least still "tolerable" compared to having case, cpu and gfx card fans running full speed all the time.

Maybe some day if I feel adventurous and my hardware is a bit past its best by date, I might start tweaking voltages. For now, system stability is more of a priority (which is why I got the new card in the first place) :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gorth, what kind of PSU are you using? I'm wondering if my current 750w PSU might be a little weak for the card+all the other PC stuff it has to supply...eg if it's possibly part of my current pc troubles. I'm sort of doubting it, since the pc problems occur even when the GPU is idling (eg, not doing anything but browsing folders on the desktop), but never know...

(edit) Even on gaming load, most places say the 590 is using about 500W...so just for GPU alone I think my PSU is fine...but since PC's are not made of GPU alone, maybe I need an 850w or something)

Edited by LadyCrimson

Hey Gorth, what kind of PSU are you using? I'm wondering if my current 750w PSU might be a little weak for the card+all the other PC stuff it has to supply...eg if it's possibly part of my current pc troubles. I'm sort of doubting it, since the pc problems occur even when the GPU is idling (eg, not doing anything but browsing folders on the desktop), but never know...

(edit) Even on gaming load, most places say the 590 is using about 500W...so just for GPU alone I think my PSU is fine...but since PC's are not made of GPU alone, maybe I need an 850w or something)

I'm using an Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W. Helps keep the place warm during Winter 8)

Best question to ask might be, do you have any stability issues or are you planning on adding a handful of extra HDD's? 750W should be plenty for most needs. I got the overkill version because a) I didn't know better and b) the price difference was insignificant when I had to buy all new components anyway (and I planned on adding 6 HDD's and a few extra gadgets).

Apart from a seasonal lack of time, it has been a smooth ride so far and quite a relief getting the new 590, as the past constant 'display driver has stopped working...' were really driving me up the wall :p

I have stability issues with the O/S HDD. 8-9 days ago the C: drive decided to made grindy noises and freeze (not BSOD), which started a long chain of HDD stability troubleshooting. The noise is not the mechanical failure click-click sort, just a loud grindy noise like it's stuck. Tests show the old drive had bad sectors that for some reason neither Windows/Linux recognize, so they kept writing into those bad sectors & then would get stuck trying to access from there. If I waited long enough it would usually recover from being 'stuck' and you could keep going, but occasionally it would crash/auto-boot.

So replaced the C drive with a new bought drive (different brand), and about 2 days after installing Windows+GPU/sound drivers & Firefox (and nothing else), that one did exactly the same thing. Same noise, same symptoms. Reformatted & reinstalled Windows, 10 minutes later, same symptoms. Tested the new HDD and it had some minor errors that the diagnostic repaired...waiting for hubby to run his more extensive tests on it as well. Going to try to exchange/buy another HDD & new cables, but if that one does the same thing, I have to assume something is wrong with the rig itself, causing HDD sector failures. Hence...maybe I need more/new PSU. :D (edit: going to run meter test on the PSU later)

But happens when just sitting at idle and there's been no flickering or other weird stuff that sometimes occur if power is unstable. Temps for all things are below 35C. System RAM is not an issue (tested). Pretty sure house circuits are not an issue, altho it is remotely possible.

Besides GPU, I have a soundcard, 2 internal drives (C: + storage drive), the DVD drive, mobo/CPU+lotsa RAM, 6 case fans...that's it. Fairly sure the 2nd HDD has no issue, altho it's a bit hard to tell when they're both plugged in at once (it's currently not connected). For 3-4 weeks after I bought the 590, everything was fine/solid like usual. Then kaboom. hehe

Edited by LadyCrimson

Best thing would be if you could borrow a PSU and try out for a few days. Unfortunately I gave my old Antect TruePower Quatrro 1000W to my dad when I gave him my previous components (pre-I7 architecture).

About the HDD's though, I would say it can be darn hard to get anything reliable these days. When I built my curret PC, no less than 3 drives failed withing 2 months. First two Samsung drives, which I got replaced (a different brand). One of the replacement drives then failed and I thought I was cursed. According to the vendor it was unfortunately not unheard of. The symptoms were strange "struggling" noises and a creeping increase in bad sectors.

Are your drives new?

The original C: drive (Seagate) was purchased when I built the PC, so maybe a two to 2.5 years old? The storage drive (Hitachi) is less than a year old. And of course the one I just bought (Western Digital).

I knew some of the HDD companies aren't as good as they used to be, quality-control wise, and of course that quality in general is becoming more & more disposable on all electronics....so I haven't had big expectations of them typically lasting 5-6+ years like most older ones I've had (I was thinking 3 years maybe) but it's startling to think they could be that consistently bad out of the box, so to speak. Definitely going to be running those HDD tests before I install them, next time. And stock up on yet more external drives for backups. Assuming I ever get this rig running properly again, that is. :p