Graphics Card R.I.P.

Gorth

I would suggest the Radeon HD6870. It's really good value for the performance it gives. Right now there's no incentive to get anything more expensive than that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It may not be rational, but I really want the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2. >_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It may not be rational, but I really want the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2. >_

Only problem with that one is that Swiftech is doing the waterblock. They are the worst manufacturing quality I've seen on water blocks. Made the mistake of buying one once for my CPU. I took a look at it, the low production values, the screws that didn't quite fit and a few other things and threw it all in the rubbish bin. Bought EK products instead. If they had had somebody else making the blocks, I would probably have considered it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

All that still requires a water cooling cabinet right.

Right >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It may not be rational, but I really want the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2. :o

Only problem with that one is that Swiftech is doing the waterblock. They are the worst manufacturing quality I've seen on water blocks. Made the mistake of buying one once for my CPU. I took a look at it, the low production values, the screws that didn't quite fit and a few other things and threw it all in the rubbish bin. Bought EK products instead. If they had had somebody else making the blocks, I would probably have considered it.

Oh? I'd know nothing about such things. Good food for thought. But perhaps the waterblock on the card isn't as bad as what you bought as a separate piece for your CPU, if that makes sense. I've seen some reviews that think they're awesome, so...sigh. Never can tell, always a crapshoot seems like...and I personally think almost everything these days is built w/inconsistent quality, so ten ppl end up w/something cool and 5 ppl end up w/something that's junk. Not that it matters much anyway, since I won't be buying one anytime soon. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

I don't wish to seem like the drunkard I am, but how cool would it be to have a brandy cooled graphics card?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, a flammable substance inside a very hot computer would a great idea.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, a flammable substance inside a very hot computer would a great idea.

It would if it started coughing flames out the top when action got really intense.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...
It may not be rational, but I really want the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2. :teehee:

Ok, LadyCrimson made me curious as to how good it is, so I tried to buy the shiny new EVGA GTX 590 Hydro Copper, created an account on their (EVGA) webstore, put it in the cart and tried to check out... "we only ship in the US, Canada and Mexico" or some such >_

...and no, Aussie stores don't stock it. So much for satisfying my curiosity ;(

• 4 months later...

So, anybody tried the GTX590's yet? Curious minds wants to know :(

My current ATI5970 was a disappointment, with the excessive coil whine and constant "your display driver has stopped working etc." which makes most games a challenge to play. Mind you, it didn't start before I replaced the fan with a water block, so It might not have been noticable when running with the built in speed throttle that lowers the speed when relying on fan cooling.

That's what I have I think. Mine has the souped up cooling system from ASUS. Really happy with it. No noise, no blue screens, very cheap for what you get. I think your block just wasn't making contact everywhere it needed to.

I noticed when I took my other card apart that there were like 8 or 10 separate chips covered in thermal paste aside from the large GPU one, all in contact with the copper plate holding the fan.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

That's what I have I think. Mine has the souped up cooling system from ASUS. Really happy with it. No noise, no blue screens, very cheap for what you get. I think your block just wasn't making contact everywhere it needed to.

I noticed when I took my other card apart that there were like 8 or 10 separate chips covered in thermal paste aside from the large GPU one, all in contact with the copper plate holding the fan.

I'm not really sure why Asus charge more for their cards, but I'm seriously tempted by the MSI one. Might just give it a shot. Just wondered if it would be better to put two 580's in there instead of a single dual gpu card like the 590.

*Whimper*

Caved in an ordered this one 10 minutes ago.

Even if it says 'usuall ships in 1 to 2 months'. I'll just have to suffer in silences.

[silence]*suffering*[/silence]

Not saying anything...

Cruel world...

Wouldn't make much of a differnce I suppose, as each an every Aussie online store has ETA unknown for all 590 and most (except from some brands I'm not familiar with) of the 580 cards.

@Spider: I'm not sure I can squeeze two 580's in on top of each other. Heck, even the 5970 required some tearing out of things that normally is part of the casing :sorcerer:

Let's just say time is for me a more valuable currency :sweat:

Which is why I sometimes don't have the patience for stuff that doesn't work.

You mean it's already prepped for water cooling. I don't know that ATI cards work any worse than Nvidia, or that paying extra will somehow improve on that.

Well, the advantage (as far as I see it) is that I don't void the warranty. My old card started misbehaving about a month after I had replaced the cooler (and voided the warranty). It only just became really pronounced when I started playing FO:NV, because it was the first time in a very long time that I played something that didn't run on VirtualPC, Dosbox or otherwise didn't require much from a card. I've had very bad luck with my last two ATI cards, one lasting almost 2 years and one lasting less than 2 months before starting to act up. My old Leadtek Geforce 5900 Ultra is still running on its 7'th or 8'th year. I'm just trying to see if I would have more luck with nVidia again.

@Spider: I'm not sure I can squeeze two 580's in on top of each other. Heck, even the 5970 required some tearing out of things that normally is part of the casing :(

Yeah, but the 580 is a shorter card. But if there are hd cages or stuff in the way I can see how there is a problem. Although that would have been easy to figure out with any ruler. But I'm sure the 590 will be fine, when you get one (there is a shortage worldwide, apparently nVidia underestimated demand and didn't produce nearly enough of the higher end cards).

Edited by Spider

I'm ready to buy a new video card and was thinking about getting one of the hydro cooler thingies this time...but then remembered I'd have to configure my pc case for the water cooling blocks etc. and I don't feel like it...didn't build this PC with that in mind so it'd probably be a hassle (and extra expense above the card itself). Next PC...I'll just keep using the room AC instead. :shifty:

But I'm gonna run out and buy a GTX 580 now. Can't believe they're still close to 600 bucks for the 3GB memory one. Better be awesome...and maybe serve me dinner too.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Well...the store didn't have any 590's (expected) but they did have some of the 590 Classified's ($30 more for it vs. just '590'). I agonized a while whether the $140 increase over the 580 was worth bothering for but in the end I said F-it and bought it. I'd have bought the plain old 590 if they had it but for $30 wasn't going to stop me so...

Keep in mind I don't have water cooling and SLI'ing two hot-running cards that are going to be practically sitting on top each other in my case isn't a good idea, so single-card is it for me. Besides, I don't run super-resolution for games. AC unit in the room does pretty good and I always have it on anyway since I don't like hot weather....

Anyway...since I don't OC no problems with that one issue. I've never bought the "latest & greatest" before, so we'll see what I think of spending the ridiculous sum of $830 (that's w/tax) to get it. :shifty: