Graphics Card R.I.P.

Gorth

My traitorous card seems to be unable to recover from whatever ailment befell a month or two ago, inflicting all kinds of bsods and crashes on my computer whenever it gets pushed even slightly. Not likely to be a driver problem, since it happens during post too. Temperatures, as far as I've been able to log them with ATI Tray tools seems Ok, around the 50-60 degrees (there always was a slight difference between the two cores) when working.

So, I'm currently falling back on using my trusty old ATI Radeon 2400 while looking around for a new card and could use a bit of advice...

I had a look at the ATI 5970 cards, but besides being way overpriced down under (prices range from $850 to $1100), they are ridiculously oversized at 34 cm length, which means it wont fit in any mid sized Antec casings (i have the 182).

A question for the panel, just out of curiosity, are there anything smaller than server casings that the above card would fit in?

The actual question, anything out there that currently gives decent performance, has a water cooling options (most nVidia and ATI cards do) and will fit physically in the empty space left behind by an ATI 4870x2 (which was in itself a very tight fit inside the Antec case)?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't know exactly how much space is available in that box, but ATI's 5-series is the current performance leader, at least if you count performance/price.

The new NVidia card has a slight performance edge compared to their single GPU counterparts, but their flagship is priced closely to the 5970, which has them beat.

Now, the 5970 is basically two 5850 combined, with a bit more ram I think. So you could buy two 5850 in crossifre to get similar performance. You could also get two 5870 for very good (but more expensive) performance.

I don't know if either of these options will fit in your case, but if they don't I don't think the new NVidia cards will either (I seem to recall they are larger, but I'm not sure). If nothing fits, you could always get a new case to go with your new graphics card. Corsair's Obsidian series is supposedly very good with water cooling and should have decent space. 800D if you like transparent side and/or hotswap, otherwise 700D.

Here's a fitting card for you, the not-yet released HD 6990:

20100402amd.jpg

I am seriously worried about this thing falling off. That little plastic bit and a screw aren't going to keep such a monster in place.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't know if either of these options will fit in your case, but if they don't I don't think the new NVidia cards will either (I seem to recall they are larger, but I'm not sure). If nothing fits, you could always get a new case to go with your new graphics card. Corsair's Obsidian series is supposedly very good with water cooling and should have decent space. 800D if you like transparent side and/or hotswap, otherwise 700D.

Yeah, that is sort of the tricky point. I'm currently checking out other casings. I have my eyes on a Thermaltake VA8003BWS which, if the lower HDD bays aren't used, looks quite spacy on the lower, inside. The Antec casing, while being very nice and silent, really does make you appreciate every cm3 you can get :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest Slinky
I am seriously worried about this thing falling off. That little plastic bit and a screw aren't going to keep such a monster in place.

No worries, it comes with stick welder so you can weld it to the case!

And if anyone wonders, that picture was a april fool photoshop

Edited by Slinky

Card ....... length

GTX 470 ...9.5"

GTX 480 ...10.5"

4870x2 .... 10.5"

5870 ........11"

The sizes are based on the reference boards I don't know if any of the manufacturer's boards differ in length.

Here's the article where I got some of the information on the sizes. It also has a good set of benchmarks comparing the current top end cards along with the top end cards of the last generation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...x-480,2585.html

No worries, it comes with stick welder so you can weld it to the case!

And if anyone wonders, that picture was a april fool photoshop

Hey, I still worry about the more recent GPUs falling off anyway, even if it's not *that* oversized. :shifty:

EDIT: wait, they're already at the GTX 400 series? I have a GTX260 and it runs everything fine, who the hell needs that much?

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Card ....... length

GTX 470 ...9.5"

GTX 480 ...10.5"

4870x2 .... 10.5"

5870 ........11"

The sizes are based on the reference boards I don't know if any of the manufacturer's boards differ in length.

Here's the article where I got some of the information on the sizes. It also has a good set of benchmarks comparing the current top end cards along with the top end cards of the last generation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforc...x-480,2585.html

The sizes seems about right. Add the 5970 to that list with a staggering 13.36" (same size for Asus and Sapphire 5970 cards)

480 GTX. Best single-card show around. Also, if you're looking at a case, either the 800D or the CoolerMaster ATCS-840 would be my recommendation.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

480 GTX. Best single-card show around.

Depends on your system and what games you're running - also, you have to keep in mind that the 4XX series draws more power, makes more heat, and is loader than any of the other cards on the market. If you're buying a single card I would go with ATI because, frankly, unless you have a ALI set-up the new GeForce cards are too expensive when compared to, say, the Radeon HD 5870 or Radeon HD 5870 2GB (two cards that match, or beat, the GTX 480 in real-world gaming benchmarks). The fact that other, last-generation GeForce cards such as the GTX 295 beat the 4XX series on occasion, albeit only in DirectX 10 and 10.1 mode, is another strike against the cards - but if you're not upgrading from one of those it doesn't matter. But, yes, again, I would not recommend the 4XX series as they're, in my mind at least, not worth the premium when there are equally-good, cheaper alternatives available that preform just as well if not better than the new GeForce cards.

Also, if you're looking at a case, either the 800D or the CoolerMaster ATCS-840 would be my recommendation.

I'd go with an Antec myself. :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'd go with an Antec myself. :ermm:

I have an Antec (Antec p182), that is part of the dilemma :)

The only way you can put a newish card in my current case is by cutting out the middle hdd bay arrangement (because of 1cm of overlap). So I was looking for either shorter cards, larger case or a compromise between the two. Frankly, I would hate having to move all that stuff into a new case. Just thinking of it gives me the shivers. It does look like post GTX4xx/ATI4xxx stuff is getting bigger physically though. Currently checking casings and maybe older cards although I would hate to by "older" products.

The 5870 seems to fit fine in that case according to this review and this review says that you can just remove the upper harddrive cadge to fit the 5970. So this-generation cards might not be out of the picture.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I might have to investigate if I can put some of my drives in the 5.25" bays then... the lower hdd cage is full. Yes, I like my space, including harddrive space :ermm:

Meh, since I am going to have to take it apart anyway, I might as well replace a few more things. Ordered an Intel i7-960 CPU and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard (and kits for mounting hdds in 5.25" bays) and then see how much space is left after removing that hdd cage.

Meh, since I am going to have to take it apart anyway, I might as well replace a few more things. Ordered an Intel i7-960 CPU and a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard (and kits for mounting hdds in 5.25" bays) and then see how much space is left after removing that hdd cage.

You and I soon have the exact same computer. I am using the Antec P180 case, the exact same motherboard (which I highly recommend) and a Radeon HD5870. There's no problem fitting it into the case, by the way.

Although I only have a Core i7-920.. clocked at 3.2 GHz.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You and I soon have the exact same computer. I am using the Antec P180 case, the exact same motherboard (which I highly recommend) and a Radeon HD5870. There's no problem fitting it into the case, by the way.

Sounds promising, thanks :ermm:

The 5970 is physically a bit larger than the 5870, but I could easily live with a 5870 too. Once everything else is in place (hdds rearranged, cage removed etc.), I'll measure it up with a ruler and see what my "disposable space" is ;(

I just saw the prices for 24Gb kits... :)

I just saw the prices for 24Gb kits... :ermm:

I whimped out on the 24Gb kit. Four times the money for twice the RAM, I settled for 12Gb Corsair Dominator 1600MHz (CMD12GX3M6A1600C8)

"Upgraded" my powersupply to an Antec Quattro 1200W. Quotation marks because I didn't really need more power I think, but it offers more physical rail lines than the old one, making the cable work easier to manage.

Just for kicks, ordered the OCZ gaming keyboard. My almost 4 year old Microsoft Keyboard shows a history of every meal eaten at my desk. Rather gross really.

Ironically, that leaves me with the graphics card (and watercooling block for same) to get sorted out. Need to put the new parts together first though. Wouldn't surprise me if the 5970 turns out too tempting. I'm bad...

Damn. That's a beastly rig...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I like your 12 RAM. I only have 6. I need more. Oh ok, I don't need more, I just want more.

I really wanted the 975 back then but it was so much more....thus I decided the 920 was good enough. pfffft.

In another year or two it'll all be considered slow anyway. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I like your 12 RAM. I only have 6. I need more. Oh ok, I don't need more, I just want more.

Don't worry about it, you won't be needing 12GB for a loooong while. Also, it's easier to overclock with fewer/smaller RAM sticks. The worst overclockers use 3GB (3x1GB).

I don't over-clock, since knowing me I'd do more damage than good...but I have used up to 4.5GB of my RAM while running multiple instances of games at the same time. :p

But yea, don't need much for regular pc use. heh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't over-clock, since knowing me I'd do more damage than good...but I have used up to 4.5GB of my RAM while running multiple instances of games at the same time. :rolleyes:

But yea, don't need much for regular pc use. heh

How do you play more than one game at once? Do you have four hands?

lol! Sometimes I wish I did! :rolleyes:

...not playing all at once...just running them/having them open & switching back and forth.

Anybody knows of any significant differences between Gigabyte, Asus and Sapphire when it comes to the same GPU? -_-

I.e. they all currently make 5970 cards, specs look similar, prices look similar etc. Same card with a different sticker slapped on it?