Starwars, any idea of who that "rope kid" guy on the SomethingAwful forum is? He seems to be Obsidian or ex-Obsidian...

He's JE.

To save anyone else the trouble of scrounging around, here is the thread. The poster with the preview build starts posting about it on page 66 (using forum defaults).

Bonus quote:

Early on in development I remember running around kicking open doors all over one of the levels and not once was there a dude standing on the other side. I think I went to JR Vosovic and said, "God dammit if I kick down five doors and there is not at least one guy who just 'happens' to be standing on the other side next to a railing and a 50' drop, I am going to be pissed."

That is what guards do: stand in front of outward opening doors next to railings and a 50' drop.

The fact that he complains about pistols being inaccurate when he puts 3 points there.... really, since when character development became just an interface in which you put funny points but you don't expect your perfomance in the game to depend on those?

It was probably more of a concern due to the range of the attack. If he really got as close as he said he did, it probably wouldn't require any pistol skill (i.e. me) to effectively shoot the guy in the back of the head.

I would really have to wonder about how he's doing that. If you take the time to line up a crit on someone's head (yes we do grant more damage for head shots) with a pistol, they are almost always going to die. Obviously this is not true of bosses, but standard guys are going to drop, and crits are a for sure hit if you are on target.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

If you take the time to line up a crit on someone's head...with a pistol, they are almost always going to die.

WIN. Is it June yet?

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The fact that he complains about pistols being inaccurate when he puts 3 points there.... really, since when character development became just an interface in which you put funny points but you don't expect your perfomance in the game to depend on those?

It was probably more of a concern due to the range of the attack. If he really got as close as he said he did, it probably wouldn't require any pistol skill (i.e. me) to effectively shoot the guy in the back of the head.

I would really have to wonder about how he's doing that. If you take the time to line up a crit on someone's head (yes we do grant more damage for head shots) with a pistol, they are almost always going to die. Obviously this is not true of bosses, but standard guys are going to drop, and crits are a for sure hit if you are on target.

thanks Joseph for take your time to answer ; i was worried about that because i love HS. Is nice to see a developer active in the forums.

"Almost" always? :p

I keed I keed.

There are a lot of factors at play. Did you mod a low level pistol down a whole lot on damage to favor accuracy and silence, and then shoot one of the buffer enemy types? In those cases, you might not take a guy down, depending on some of your skill ranks.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Well, mission accomplished at last. The game looks like a lot of fun overall, the most negative thing I saw is that the enemy behaviour seems a bit funky at times and there was some strange collision errors near the beginning with one particular guard. A positive thing is the number of times the guy actually died, it does seem like you can really screw up and die. Granted he was probably distracted with all the other people in the room but even so.

Which brings me to another point, god those people are annoying. Would've been a helluva lot more informative if they had the guy playing plus one person keeping an eye on the chat.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I gave in and watched it, pretty fun. My main concern is how bad Mike's aim is at low weapon levels. Anyone with military firearms training (which we can assume someone like Mike has) should be able to make a shot on a stationary man-sized target a few meters away when they have that much time to aim and the target isn't aware of them. Of course, we probably shouldn't bring realism into a game :p

But I like. Apart from the old man crouchwalk. That's not so hot either :)

Edited by Baeus

Pretty good video (tho blurry), have some bullet points:

-3,5 missions, the Nasri one, a side mission from Darcy, one from Yancy and the one from the GDC walkthrough (tho they stopped when the guy died at Nasri's lieutenant).

-Player was a Field Agent, had 3-3 lvls in Stealth and Pistol, 2 in Martial Arts

-Some skill info: Fury is level 5 skill, as is Awareness(Master) if I'm not blind, lvl 6 is a passive damage boost (CQC Proficiency), lvl 7 is Jump Attack, lvl 1 Technical Aptitude boosts healing, lvl 4 Pistol was Armed and Dangerous (double pistol ammo capacity, a TA skill also gives a general ammo capacity boost).

-Lvl 4 Stealth costs 8 AP, compared to Pistol 4 5 AP.

-Martial Arts moves got more varied as the skill lvl'd up.

-Josh got praised for the door-kick thing.

-Lock Picking minigame looked simple but good (I don't remember it being showcased before), you have to align the locks with the, uh.. lock..I'm tired.

-As Starwars said, AI had some weird moments, but they were effective overall. They're brutal with shotguns and love to throw grenades at you.

-Love hit and death animations.

-Level design looked great, not that boring, sterile, rectangular crap that the KotOR games were. Some good ideas too, for example in one mission there were periodic sand storms that obstructed enemy vision, with some visual feedback (enemy shielding his eyes, I wasn't expecting this)

-EXPLODING CROTH!

-Release the damn game already!

Some weird stuff:

-People floating above ground, enemy walking animation, Mike's frontal takedown (all I saw was a tap on the nose), some colission problems with other takedown animations.

-Darcy's mission ends with a helicopter evac. Darcy wasn't keen on providing covering fire.

And now...there's no poin in going to sleep anymore. :l Oh well, 2 hours of AP has it's price I guess.

the only thing that didn't like it to me ; was that that the enemy you killed disappear after some seconds if i am not wrong...nothing really bad but i would like to see the corpses until finished the level. Hopefully the blurry be the vid and not the game ; Looked like Velvet Assassin some times. I am getting the game anyways.

Edited by Alpha

Gametrailers Preview

Ok, *now* I'm excited about this game. That looked awesome.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by funcroc.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Almost" always? :)

I keed I keed.

There are a lot of factors at play. Did you mod a low level pistol down a whole lot on damage to favor accuracy and silence, and then shoot one of the buffer enemy types? In those cases, you might not take a guy down, depending on some of your skill ranks.

Haha yeah I figured that. I was just joking around.