The New Zealand Economy

Humodour

Hey, all you Kiwis, give me some info...

I'm travelling to South Island for 10 days on the 20th of June and am wondering about currency conversion (specifically, when to do it). Is your economy starting to get hotter yet? Are you still in recession? What's your unemployment and growth rate for the past few months/quarters? And most importantly, have you raised interest rates any yet, and are any rate rises planned?

The NZD hasn't been this low against the AUD since 2000, so now is a good time to convert, but I wanted to know if it might go lower still.

Also, what's good to visit on South Island?

Edit - Looks like sooner rather than later is a good time to convert: http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?i...150&rf=true

Edited by Krezack

I'm going to Queenstown with my gf around late august/early september. Last time I went was back in 2007 and remember the NZD being $1.20 and thought it was CHEAP at the time. The only thing I found expensive was the petrol but when you convert it to AUD, it's about the same. It's the shock of seeing 1.50/L and the dollars spinning fast on the bowser that makes you nervous. This time hopefully it will be even cheaper with the current rate.

Depends on your interests. Shopping, Culture, Scenic Vistas?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't know of one place that has it all. Queenstown is a nice tourist base. Good eating and nice hotels. More importantly, all the tour operators work out of there. Milford Sound is sort of a must see trip. For temperate rainforests, you might want to go to Kaitoke (a bit outside Wellington) and the volcanic activity, probably Rotorua somewhere on the North Island. That one also has kilometer long caves where visitors can see some parts of. Glaciers... the only one I know of is the Franz Joseph Glacier on the South Island.

Climbing and skiing? Beats me. Not really my thing :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

All I know is, when you get to the Shire, keep your eyes peeled for Ted Sandyman.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't know much on economy, but sooner than later for conversion, I'd think. Don't think there are any massive shocks re. unemployment / interest rates in the next couple of months, but the rate is definitely good for Aussies at the moment.

Hiro, petrol is around 1.75-1.80 now. I still remember in 99 or so when everyone went crazy because the petrol went over the dollar. :ermm:

I haven't been to the South Island (I know, I've been here, what, 13 years?), but Queenstown and Milford Sound obvious picks.

Hiro, petrol is around 1.75-1.80 now. I still remember in 99 or so when everyone went crazy because the petrol went over the dollar. ;)

;)

That's incredibly high. Even when you convert it to AUD it's still more expensive than here. NZ$1.80 / 1.30 = AUD$1.38. Petrol at the moment here fluctuates between AUD$1.20-$1.30 (NZ$1.56-$1.69). Even a couple of weeks ago I filled up at around AU$1.17. I remember back in 2007 I was shocked at NZ petrol prices. Now even more so than ever. I don't know how you guys manage.

:ermm:

Petrol prices are high because of taxes which are seen as an easy way to gain revenue much as taxes on ciggies and booze are- they're basically trying to follow the European model. They also use the "well, you like roads, and police? Well then, we need to increase tax on petrol" even though most of the tax on it goes straight to the consolidated (general use) fund and is not ringfenced for use on transport.

June isn't a great time to visit as it will be cold, but probably not cold enough to be interesting. Tourist attractions: Milford Sound and Queenstown as listed, whale watching at Kaikoura has a good reputation though you won't always see whales, wine etc around Blenheim (up north) if you like a drop and the Marlborough Sounds is pretty good for scenery. June is too early for skiing, unfortunately, though there will be some snow. If you like scenery the whole West Coast is good, I particularly liked the Haast Pass area (south west coast fairly close to Queenstown/ Milford Sound, one of my favourite drives) and the area from Westport-Punakaiki (central to north West Coast) down to the Fox/ F-J Glaciers, but the weather can be terrible. Christchurch is a pretty decent city though it's hardly a Paris or Rome. Basically there's tons of nice scenery and outdoors type stuff pretty much everywhere, but the whole island has only around a million people so don't expect awesome shopping or anything like that.

Shryke would likely know of some good places to visit, although I think he might be on the northern island. :lol:

yeah i'm in the north island, and haven't been down south for ages, so i'm not the greatest of people to ask :shifty:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Maybe he can hire you as a guide for a fun night out in Wellington :thumbsup:

Guest The Architect

Don't do it Krezack, a beer or two - yeah, sounds innocent enough at first, but then the night rolls on and before you know it you'll wake up the following afternoon in his bed wondering where you are and more importantly - what happened to your clothes.

Edited by The Architect

Don't do it Krezack, a beer or two - yeah, sounds innocent enough at first, but then the night rolls on and before you know it you'll wake up the following afternoon in his bed wondering where you are and more importantly - what happened to your clothes.

Surely the more important question in that situation would be 'what happened to my body?' rather than your clothes.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect

Surely the more important question in that situation would be 'what happened to my body?' rather than your clothes.

If you woke up in Shryke's bed, wouldn't it be best if you didn't know what happened to you?

don't be silly, i never bring one nighter's back to my own place

if they end up being completely crazy i don't want them knowing where i live :thumbsup:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

If you woke up in Shryke's bed, wouldn't it be best if you didn't know what happened to you?

Are you kidding? Think of the XP!

-Elwood Blues