NHL

Gorth

What the hell is wrong with Vancouver's defence? They have 6 guys out with injuries right now!

Alberts (Broken Wrist)

Ballard (Sprained Knee)

Bieksa (Broken Foot)

Edler (Back Surgery)

Hamhuis (Concussion)

Sweatt (Broken Foot)

I think Vancouver is cursed. There is no other explanation.

They won't unless it is the Canucks. Sorry, but Kanadian teams have proven they'd wire make money of their hardcore fans but don't do anything serious to actually push for a cup and therefore deserve every loss they got. Toronto is the biggest punk in that regard. And, then you got a team like the Oilers whoa re so poorly managed no superstar in his prime would want to waste their time in such a crap team.

Poor management for Kanadian teams is a product of Kanadian arrogance who think they own hiockey b/c most Kanadians ar ebigoted as rpoven by Don Cherry being a 'national hero'.

LONG LIVE AMERIKA HOCKEY TEAMS, DEATH TO KANADIAN HOCKEY TEAMS (except vancouver)!!!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They won't unless it is the Canucks. Sorry, but Kanadian teams have proven they'd wire make money of their hardcore fans but don't do anything serious to actually push for a cup and therefore deserve every loss they got. Toronto is the biggest punk in that regard. And, then you got a team like the Oilers whoa re so poorly managed no superstar in his prime would want to waste their time in such a crap team.

Poor management for Kanadian teams is a product of Kanadian arrogance who think they own hiockey b/c most Kanadians ar ebigoted as rpoven by Don Cherry being a 'national hero'.

LONG LIVE AMERIKA HOCKEY TEAMS, DEATH TO KANADIAN HOCKEY TEAMS (except vancouver)!!!

dude learn to spell "america" lol

I hope toronto makes the playoffs, even if they don't win anything. it'd be nice to give canada some hope seeing as how the canucks seem to choke all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
216253IMAGE.png

Max Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and a fractured vertebrae. Will Chara get suspended?

Nice angle at 1:00.

I was watching that earlier. It is terrible, but Chara was clearly just trying to rub him out along the boards. Anywhere else on the ice it would be a standard interference call. I keep wondering if there is a better way to design that partition? I had my shoulder driven into one of those a few years back, it really sucks.

No suspension for Chara.

It was a scary and ugly play, but I don't think Chara should be punished for it. Unfortunate, yes. Intentional? Who knows.

Hopefully the Montreal player can play hockey again sometime down the road.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

No suspension for Chara.

It was a scary and ugly play, but I don't think Chara should be punished for it. Unfortunate, yes. Intentional? Who knows.

Hopefully the Montreal player can play hockey again sometime down the road.

The issue with this hit is the turnstile, that's all. Chara made a late hit (and was penalized for that, right?), it just so happens the late hit came in the worst spot on the ice. I don't think he should be punished for it either, but holy s**t that was a scary hit.

"This hit was only bad because of the location."

"That hit from behind was only bad because he was by the boards."

How does this argument make any sense? Why would it matter what the hit would have been like if it was placed elsewhere? It wasn't elsewhere. It was right there by the end of the bench.

Looking at the recent history between the two players I find it hard to believe it wasn't intentional. Do I believe that Chara wanted to concuss Pacioretty and fracture a vertebrae? No, but I completely believe he intended to hurt him to some degree.

Chara has no history of dirty play at all. Their history explains why he rode him into the boards late, but it is a bit much to presume he purposefully lined him up for the partition. Guys get rubbed out along the boards 50 times a night in the NHL.

I'm not opposed to a suspension of a few games. It is important to raise awareness here. But everything about this screams horrible accident to me.

edit: Big article on it

Hmm, after reading what all those players are saying, I might have to change my opinion of the play. I know I personally don't have a ton of awareness about where this stuff is when on the ice, but I'm not a professional.

Edited by Hurlshot

The location makes a difference because if the turnstile wasn't there he would have been simply ridden into the boards, probably wouldn't have even been a penalty called on the play.

The location makes a difference because if the turnstile wasn't there he would have been simply ridden into the boards, probably wouldn't have even been a penalty called on the play.

But the glass was there. Why does it matter what happens if the hit is in a different location? If you hit someone from behind in open ice you get a penalty. You hit someone from behind along the boards you

"If you cause a player to be injured, then you have to be responsible for the play that you're involved in, if there's any carelessness or recklessness in it." -Colin Campbell, after suspending Ovechkin last year.

I phrased my last post poorly. I should have said, why does it matter where the hit was not, rather than where it was.

Edited by Deraldin

Deraldin, the turnstile makes a difference because he would have simply been rubbed out along the boards if it was in a different area. Getting rubbed out along the glass doesn't cause injury, it's probably the most common hit in hockey. Chara did just that, road him into the boards, but because there was the turnstile, his face hit that instead of just getting pushed into the glass like what would happen if it was on the other side of the ice.

They really look like they are side by side in the video, so I'm not sure if I'd call it a hit from behind.

Didn't mean to imply that he was hit from behind.

Deraldin, the turnstile makes a difference because he would have simply been rubbed out along the boards if it was in a different area. Getting rubbed out along the glass doesn't cause injury, it's probably the most common hit in hockey. Chara did just that, road him into the boards, but because there was the turnstile, his face hit that instead of just getting pushed into the glass like what would happen if it was on the other side of the ice.

You're not getting the point I'm trying to make. Of course the turnstile makes a difference. I'm saying that people who argue that this hit doesn't deserve a suspension because if it was anywhere else it would have been a nothing play are wrong. It doesn't matter what happens if Chara rubs out Pacioretty on the other side of the ice because that's not what happened. You don't (not) punish people based on what could have happened. You make your decision based on what did happen.

Once again:

"If you cause a player to be injured, then you have to be responsible for the play that you're involved in, if there's any carelessness or recklessness in it." Are you saying that you don't think there was any carelessness or recklessness on the part of Chara in that play? When the puck was a good 35 feet away from the play?

They really look like they are side by side in the video, so I'm not sure if I'd call it a hit from behind.

Didn't mean to imply that he was hit from behind.

You're not getting the point I'm trying to make. Of course the turnstile makes a difference. I'm saying that people who argue that this hit doesn't deserve a suspension because if it was anywhere else it would have been a nothing play are wrong. It doesn't matter what happens if Chara rubs out Pacioretty on the other side of the ice because that's not what happened. You don't (not) punish people based on what could have happened. You make your decision based on what did happen.

Once again:

"If you cause a player to be injured, then you have to be responsible for the play that you're involved in, if there's any carelessness or recklessness in it." Are you saying that you don't think there was any carelessness or recklessness on the part of Chara in that play? When the puck was a good 35 feet away from the play?

No, I'm saying that it was reckless to hit him with the puck 35 feet away, so he should be punished on the grounds that it was a late hit. A penalty for rubbing someone out along the boards is a 2 minute minor. Not a suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel Sedin is leading the league in points, with his twin brother Henrik in second place. Has it ever happened that two brothers has taken the two top spots in the points race in the NHL?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Daniel Sedin is leading the league in points, with his twin brother Henrik in second place. Has it ever happened that two brothers has taken the two top spots in the points race in the NHL?

Nope. Never happened before.