Question About Copy Protection (PC version)

I think this will not be up to Obsidian Entertainment to decide, but it is still a good question - they might at least know. Or somebody else here might know.

Thats what I figured I know its usually up to the publishers. Hopefully, their will be info on it soon.

Edit: AVP and NTW both use Steamworks :bat: If AP uses SW as well, Sega/Obsidian have themselves a guaranteed sale/preorder.

Edited by Daracus

Why on earth would you be happy about Steamworks foisting itself on everyone? Frankly compulsory Steam is about the only thing which would stop me buying it. Isn't a Steam version (one of which there will definitely be) enough?

It won't be Steamworks most likely anyway, as other Digital Distributors have it as a pre-order and they won't sell games with Steamworks since it spams their customers with offers, and AP does not have a multiplayer component so doesn't need the matchmaking.

Why on earth would you be happy about Steamworks foisting itself on everyone? Frankly compulsory Steam is about the only thing which would stop me buying it. Isn't a Steam version (one of which there will definitely be) enough?

It won't be Steamworks most likely anyway, as other Digital Distributors have it as a pre-order and they won't sell games with Steamworks since it spams their customers with offers, and AP does not have a multiplayer component so doesn't need the matchmaking.

Easy there, I'm just saying that there could be worse forms of DRM implementation for the game, say Ubisoft's current "persistent online" model. If they were to have some type of "Impulse DRM" that would be fine with that as well, since impulse includes an "offline" mode like steam. I'm not saying every game should come with it, but I would prefer SW/Impulse to other forms of DRM/copy protection software (Ubisoft/Bioshock 2's GFWL/Securom/C&C4 etc).

Look as long as publishers continue to believe that copy protection software curbs piracy *coughBScough* they will include some type of DRM along with there games. I would rather go with the lesser of 2 evils... say the one you can play offline if your net connection is craptacular that day.

Easy there, I'm just saying that there could be worse forms of DRM implementation for the game, say Ubisoft's current "persistent online" model. If they were to have some type of "Impulse DRM" that would be fine with that as well, since impulse includes an "offline" mode like steam. I'm not saying every game should come with it, but I would prefer SW/Impulse to other forms of DRM/copy protection software (Ubisoft/Bioshock 2's GFWL/Securom/C&C4 etc).

Look as long as publishers continue to believe that copy protection software curbs piracy *coughBScough* they will include some type of DRM along with there games. I would rather go with the lesser of 2 evils... say the one you can play offline if your net connection is craptacular that day.

Well, if you put it that way...

But it's just because things are getting worse and worse as time passes. I would say that, the only good thing, is that THERE IS piracy on PCs. Imagine DRM on consoles.

Oh well, I play on 360 anyway so it doesn't really affect me... but it worries me. A lot.

But it's just because things are getting worse and worse as time passes. I would say that, the only good thing, is that THERE IS piracy on PCs. Imagine DRM on consoles.

Oh well, I play on 360 anyway so it doesn't really affect me... but it worries me. A lot.

No worries and yes I agree there is piracy on PC, never said there wasn't, but I also believe that when publishers include a butt-load of excessive DRM on PC games it turns off a lot potential buyers... and well more or less encourages piracy... which then forces companies to include more DRM.... which then forces customers to pirate... which then... ok I think I've made my point. Its a cycle.

And I do apologize, as I know a lot of you are getting tired of the whole argument of DRM and piracy, but I always feel like it merits attention.

Ubisoft's current "persistent online" model

Yeah, I can't stand that form of DDRM. In fact, I don't buy any games that have online/server-based DRM, even if it is less draconian than Ubisoft's. I don't like the possibility that one day the authentication servers will go down (company no longer finds it economical to run them, company goes bankrupt, company wants you to move to a new version of the game) and the game will cease to function, so I vote with my wallet.

I think you are right to be worried. There is piracy on the X-BOX 360 too, I believe, though it is much lower than on the PC. Still, if 360 piracy rises or if the online DRM systems are deemed successful on the PC, it is feasible that they might be introduced for consoles too. I don't own any consoles, so it wouldn't affect me, but I would definitely sympathize with my fellow gamers if it happened.

Yeah, I can't stand that form of DDRM. In fact, I don't buy any games that have online/server-based DRM, even if it is less draconian than Ubisoft's. I don't like the possibility that one day the authentication servers will go down (company no longer finds it economical to run them, company goes bankrupt, company wants you to move to a new version of the game) and the game will cease to function, so I vote with my wallet.

Agreed, some publishers have not given a straight answer to "What will happen if the servers go offline permanently or if the company is no longer around?" I no longer purchase titles that use this model of DRM, which kinda sucks because that means I don't play those games whatsoever... at all :lol:

A big reply I get from ppl who are in favor of DRM is "Don't be such a noob who plays games that are 5, 10 years old anyway?" To which I sincerely answer " I do... half life 2 is ~5 years old and I still play it... Deus Ex & System Shock 2 are 10 years old and I still play those titles. Just because something is old doesn't mean no one will play it... a great title is like art... it can be appreciated over time."

No worries and yes I agree there is piracy on PC, never said there wasn't, but I also believe that when publishers include a butt-load of excessive DRM on PC games it turns off a lot potential buyers... and well more or less encourages piracy... which then forces companies to include more DRM.... which then forces customers to pirate... which then... ok I think I've made my point. Its a cycle.

And I do apologize, as I know a lot of you are getting tired of the whole argument of DRM and piracy, but I always feel like it merits attention.

Don't worry, I hate DRM too.

And I was saying that, in a certain point of view, piracy is A GOOD THING, because is the only way to bypass those DRM.

That's why I'm worried about the console market. On PC you can pirate, so if Ubilol servers in 2012 explode, you can always download Assassin's Creed 2 from a torrent and play anyway. What about consoles?

And what if Ubisoft, in 10 years, decides to shut down Assassin's Creed 2 servers? What should I do, then, with my useless game?

Agreed, some publishers have not given a straight answer to "What will happen if the servers go offline permanently or if the company is no longer around?" I no longer purchase titles that use this model of DRM, which kinda sucks because that means I don't play those games whatsoever... at all :ermm:

A big reply I get from ppl who are in favor of DRM is "Don't be such a noob who plays games that are 5, 10 years old anyway?" To which I sincerely answer " I do... half life 2 is ~5 years old and I still play it... Deus Ex & System Shock 2 are 10 years old and I still play those titles. Just because something is old doesn't mean no one will play it... a great title is like art... it can be appreciated over time."

Yep, I also fire up old classics from time to time. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, for example, is at least 17 years old (and the company that made it no longer exists), Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is 11 years old (yet again, the company that made it no longer exists), Civilization II is another classic that I like to return to once in a while - (yes, you guessed it - it is 14 years old and the company that made it no longer exists), Syndicate was made 17 years ago (the same story - the company that made it no longer exists), X-COM is another classic 17-year old game (yes, yes, the company that produced it no longer exists) and so on and so on.... OK, my age may be showing here, but younger gamers will also eventually be my age and will want to play the classics of their early gaming years. ;)

So yes, old games, if good (and I try to buy only good games ;) are something I like to return to. Hence, any server-based DRM is unnacceptable to me. If all developers and/or publishers move in this direction, I will quit PC gaming (apart from the classics I already possess, of course).

Uniloc was also used in another Sega-published game, Football Manager 2009. It had a 5-machine installation limit, and from memory, needed online activation with a key upon installation - but afterwards required nothing, no CD in drive, to play. Oh, and if you uninstall, you get an activation back.

Seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

That sounds basically like Mass Effect PC.

Well, why not.

AP EVEN COPIES MASS EFFECT DRM!!! OBSIDIAN HAVE NO ORIGINALITY!!11!!!

Sorry, but when I read that I just had to do it. :)

Anyway, I don't particularly like this DRM scheme, but since I want to support Obsidian, the game seems one I'd enjoy and I prefer playing on my PC rather than on my brother's X360, I'll buy it anyway.

Automatically?

Still ****ing horrible. I hate limited activations.

If if is the same system as the EA one for Red Alert 3, no it isn't automatic, and you of course need an internet connection. But if it is the same system, you don't need to uninstall the game to free an activation, you can simply unregister the game, it will ask you to register again when you launch it. The main problem with this is that you have to remember to deactivate the game when you uninstall it.

I've no problem for that kind of DRM in a game like AP. I can see less problems than with Red Alert 3 or Spore, who have a strong multiplayer element.

Not a fan of the limited activations at all, blergh. Really wish they had gone the route of DA or F3 in this regard. As annoying as it can be to have to have the disc in the drive I think it beats this feeling of having to activate a game that you freakin' buy.

Not a deal-breaker for me, but kinda meh.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Uniloc was also used in another Sega-published game, Football Manager 2009. It had a 5-machine installation limit, and from memory, needed online activation with a key upon installation - but afterwards required nothing, no CD in drive, to play. Oh, and if you uninstall, you get an activation back.

Seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

Bleh, could've been worse.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So pirates will enjoy free of drm version, while paying cutomers get treated to drm bull****...nice

and all you have done is put some crap in to hasstle people that baught your game legit, your game will still get cracked spread throughout the net, probably more as pirates hate developers that put this drm/protection software crap in there game

i dont know why you bother wasting your time or money doing this really, i know its not right that your hard work is copied for free but still, you should think of the customers that do fork out cash on your game rather than the pirates that will in the end break your protection,i feel your customers will thank you for it in the end/long run, by supporting you more, maybe even get people that pirate games to see if they are worth buying the retail version

anyway cant wait get this for ps3

Edited by Kostchtchie

Some Trolls, arnt looking for anything logical, they cant be questioned, talked to, reasoned or negosiated with, some trolls just want watch the forums burn

It really isn't all that terrible compared to more recent DRMs.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bah. I'll have to see if the Steam version will have any extra DRM, if not then I'll likely cancel my pre-order for the physical copy and pick it up there (even though I dislike Steam it's still better than this).

:thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot