What you did today

Gorth

Had my second road test this morning. Was failed out on bull**** last time around, but was only dinged for a couple very minor things this time. I've got my full license now, just in time for it to expire in 3 months! Will have to figure out if they have the renewals in the same spot as the used to be. There was talk of moving it, but I don't think it went through.

Also I have a giant mosquito bite on my arm that appeared seconds after passing my test. :/

As usual when I'm sad I keep seeing humour all over the place. Just spent about five minutes giggling because I realised one of my major clients is an amalgam of David Suchet, and MC Hammer.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Whilst making an afternoon snack, I looked out the kitchen window and noticed the plastic stepstool was sitting on top of the covered tablesaw, on the patio. Which makes me wonder wtf my husband was doing this morning before work, while I was still snoozin'.

Try as I might, I can't come up with anything. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Col. Mustard, in the library, with the candlestick.

By Jove, I think you've got it!! >_<

...I did consider maybe he was using the stool for step exercising, but then why would he put it on the tablesaw instead of leaving it on the ground. Oh well, he'll be home soon, I can ask then....but maybe...I don't really want to know. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Maybe the tablesaw is a motivation thing... is there a timer on the power socket in the wall?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

We brought Logan home yesterday. He's still a bit yellowish and we need to keep getting tests, but it is a huge relief to have him at home and not spend 14 hours at the hospital every day. My 3-year old daughter ranges from being a total sweetheart to a total monster right now, but she is pretty excited to see him.

I stopped by my condo tonight only to find the front door locks changed, with no notice of any sort posted. Color me unimpressed.

I also tackled some personal demons and had a checkup at the doctors office today. I think the last time I went to see a doctor was close to a decade ago. I'm somewhat relieved to find out he's a pretty decent guy. Next week I get to go get some bloodwork done, and also an x-ray of my wounded shoulder, which I injured close to 20 years ago and never bothered to get it checked out. Spiffy!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

today at work i met the new manager

we discussed the fact that we shall both be working saturdays and therefore shall look after eachother in the event of extreme hangovers

she seems alright so far

other than that i've just been stuffing around trying to persuade a friend to get "Shryke was here" tattooed on her lower back hehe

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

We brought Logan home yesterday. He's still a bit yellowish and we need to keep getting tests, but it is a huge relief to have him at home and not spend 14 hours at the hospital every day. My 3-year old daughter ranges from being a total sweetheart to a total monster right now, but she is pretty excited to see him.

Great news to hear he's back home and doing well-ish. I meant to ask last night but got distracted by the need to be pompous.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I bought a cheap "super-zoom" lens today...with cheap ($630) being relative, considering the prices for the very high quality lenses. :ermm:

Was going to get one of either 2 Canon lenses but store guy convinced me to try the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC. I'm not sure if I like it yet. I guess I can get used to it...definitely a decent "casual walk around" or "vacation" lens & it does have some image stabilization but meh, it has lots of issues, too. But it is a (big) zoom, which is never going to be as good as a prime. My Canon 100mm/macro beats this new lens, image quality wise, to hell & back.

But when they say it has super zoom, they aren't kidding. Especially when mounted on a non-full frame DSLR.

The pic on right is the middle fence post from pic on the left, standing in same spot.

twitter-pic-0191.jpg

Note to self: do not again forget that fully cleaning of the teeth and gums is inadvisable directly after eating.

This is particularly true when you have just eaten hot chilli. Ow. Ow. Ow.

-Elwood Blues

My compact camera has a built-in 25-300mm zoom lens..

Yeah, and these days some of those aren't bad either, for walkabout/vacation cameras. They certainly make fine small/medium prints or web postings. >_<

Problem (to me) is, the glass in those compact cameras aren't what I like. Pics will look fine around 50% but even at 100-ISO there's usually a lot of noticeable grain/pixelation at 100%. Which is my complaint about the zoom I bought. It's better than in compacts of course, & for a non-prime lens it's good I suppose, but I guess my eyes want the $4k-8k glass. Oh well. One day I'll be rich.

(dialup warning)

This is a (boring) full-size quick test pic from the zoom at 100/mm 100-ISO. (u may have to click on pic in browser to expand to full size, depending on your browser). The grain quality at 100% is actually ok, but many other test shots it wasn't. The more zoomed out you are, the 'softer' the corners/edges became, giving it a bit of that circle-of-vaseline look even when actual pixelation was minor.

This is a full size from my macro 100mm prime lens, at 800-ISO. While there's some definite grain, I think it's still pretty good for that ISO & my now-ancient 20D.

Edited by LadyCrimson

(dialup warning)

This is a (boring) full-size quick test pic from the zoom at 100/mm 100-ISO. (u may have to click on pic in browser to expand to full size, depending on your browser). The grain quality at 100% is actually ok, but many other test shots it wasn't. The more zoomed out you are, the 'softer' the corners/edges became, giving it a bit of that circle-of-vaseline look even when actual pixelation was minor.

You know, with all the pictures you've posted, I've always wondered where you lived. Seems really nice.

(dialup warning)

You know, with all the pictures you've posted, I've always wondered where you lived. Seems really nice.

That would be the Northern California Bay Area for you. There is just a ton to see, an amazing variety of locales. I believe LadyCrimson lives somewhere near Marin (although I might be wrong) which is a wonderful area just across the Golden Gate Bridge. I take my family out there about once a year, and we ride the ferry across to San Francisco city. From there we can visit Alcatraz, Angel Island, Fisherman's Wharf...we somehow manage to discover something new every time we go.

That would be the Northern California Bay Area for you. There is just a ton to see, an amazing variety of locales. I believe LadyCrimson lives somewhere near Marin (although I might be wrong) which is a wonderful area just across the Golden Gate Bridge. I take my family out there about once a year, and we ride the ferry across to San Francisco city. From there we can visit Alcatraz, Angel Island, Fisherman's Wharf...we somehow manage to discover something new every time we go.

Certainly a difference from up here in northern New Jersey. Can't say I don't love it. Almost went to school in North Carolina but had a change of heart, staying in Jersey for at least another 4 years I suppose.

California in general runs the gambit, but within a few hours I personally can hit any particular climate I want (grasslands, mountains, beach, desert, scrub like she posted, abandoned farms, old west historic sites...) I'm FAR more centrally located than they are probably (as Sac is midway between SF and the Sierras).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

What the flying heck. I thought you were asian lady? I've been lied to this entire time. Reality has collapsed.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Just being sad.

Keeps getting to me first thing in the morning when I should be working.

-Elwood Blues

I live in what they call the "Peninsula" area of the Bay, on the W. side of the water, halfway between SF and SJ.

It would take us 5-6 hours to reach Lake Tahoe/Sierras in good traffic.

Pic:

Black circle=area I currently live & area I grew up in)

Red circle= area where I lived when I first started posting on this forum.

Green circle=park/area where that photo was taken.

bayarea1.jpg

What the flying heck. I thought you were asian lady? I've been lied to this entire time. Reality has collapsed.

What does that have to do w/where I live? Melting pot, y'know. :lol:

I live a bit further south of that red circle, but I drive to Cupertino for work.

We were one small road-bump from Morgan Hill, tho still officially in San Jose. I used to cruise down Monterey Rd to 101 & beyond a lot, both to visit some friends & just for crusin' sake. :lol:

Can't recall, but I don't think I posted this pic here before. If I did, sorry for repeat. But it's a stitched together view of the Peninsula/Bay from atop Windy Hill park. It's nothing special/gorgeous, with all the saturated city haze/bluish color but kinda fun to look at maybe. The pink-roof buildings on the right are Stanford U.

(1.1MB)

http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/med...l-panorama5.jpg

and if you follow 80 (up north crossing the bay) east, you'll find me (well almost).

Crimson, aren't you like 5 minutes from half the dev houses known to man?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.