What you did today

Gorth

saw my nephews last night and went out for dinner with them and my sister

was cool to see them. i hadn't seen them since i went to visit my mother in hospital last year, and it's weird to see how much older they seem

then afterwards went to a friend's for her birthday and played with the kitten ^_^

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I'm pretty much done with Uni until September now. Life is good and not busy once again \o/

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Got to see an osteopath yesterday. Great to have some firm data, or at least some known unknowns. Basically I have two big things ****ed in my spine, one at base one at midpoint. But exactly how bad they are isn't going to be clear until I get some x-rays. Bottom line is that I am going to be out of action for at least 4 months, and maybe as long as 18!. Somewhat suboptimal.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeouch!

That is heckuva long time to be out of commission. I hope it is more on the 4 side than the 18. At least you know what the problem is.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Yeouch!

That is heckuva long time to be out of commission. I hope it is more on the 4 side than the 18. At least you know what the problem is.

Thanks. What I hate is being so bloody helpless, and not being able to do much exercise.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Do what you can, I guess. Build up that upper arm strength. At least the time recuperating you can get some gaming in, right?

Just feel lucky it isn't much worse. Any injury to the spine upto the brain can cause lasting effects.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Got to see an osteopath yesterday. Great to have some firm data, or at least some known unknowns. Basically I have two big things ****ed in my spine, one at base one at midpoint. But exactly how bad they are isn't going to be clear until I get some x-rays. Bottom line is that I am going to be out of action for at least 4 months, and maybe as long as 18!. Somewhat suboptimal.

Wow. Best of luck.

Exactly how incapacitated do you mean by "out of action"?

Edit: I am currently awaiting delivery of a new refrigerator. The old one was slowly dying (it was running all the time and failing to achieve adequate temperatures), so we ordered a replacement over the weekend. This morning I have emptied the old one, taken the doors off (necessary to get it through the kitchen door), cleaned the area underneath it (disgusting), and unhooked the water supply to the icemaker. It is now smack in the middle of the 2-hour timeframe the delivery company gave me.

Edited by Enoch

Do what you can, I guess. Build up that upper arm strength. At least the time recuperating you can get some gaming in, right?

Just feel lucky it isn't much worse. Any injury to the spine upto the brain can cause lasting effects.

Yeah, like I say, compared with a proper injury it's pretty wussy. Which actually adds to the suckage. I'd be far happier if I'd lost twice the functioning to a terrorist attack. Maybe a cool limp, and some facial scarring. :)

EDIT: out of action means I can walk from my chair to the front door, and at a stretch to the pub. BUt anything like running or lifting even a heavy book is beyond me. Plus it hurts all the damn time.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

What I hate is being so bloody helpless, and not being able to do much exercise.

Don't complain, you can still wank. In fact, it is a great excuse to do so.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest The Architect

Can anybody think of reasons other than genetics and handling that affects the friendliness of kittens towards people? Because that's all I've got. I'm supposed to think of different experimental confounds in an experimental design where 3 groups of kittens, each group handled for different amounts of time, by different people each day, with no food used, are handled for 15 minutes, and the friendliness of the kittens was measured by how long they stayed on the persons lap and how long it took for them to approach the person when called. Basically, the longer the handling the friendlier the kitten, and the handling skills are not a confound in the experimental design because they are within the experimenters control.

Can anybody think of reasons other than genetics and handling that affects the friendliness of kittens towards people? Because that's all I've got. I'm supposed to think of different experimental confounds in an experimental design where 3 groups of kittens, each group handled for different amounts of time, by different people each day, with no food used, are handled for 15 minutes, and the friendliness of the kittens was measured by how long they stayed on the persons lap and how long it took for them to approach the person when called. Basically, the longer the handling the friendlier the kitten, and the handling skills are not a confound in the experimental design because they are within the experimenters control.

Well, bonding. The kitten as it stays around a person probably grows a bond that can get pretty strong if extended periods are maintained. I my cats who are pushing 8 right now both have decided we're all part of the big family, and our girl cat brings in mice and birds and voles so that we can learn to hunt.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

What a bummer Wals. Best of luck, we are all pulling for you to get back in action.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Planning to go on vacation next week. I'm taking one of my dogs with me. Should be interesting.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

met up with a friend i hadn't seen in ages

she asked what had been going on since she saw me last, and when i told her she was kinda amazed that i seemed so chilled out

sure there's been some pretty messed up stuff going on, but i've come to the conclusion that there's no point letting it get me down

was good to see her though. she's been a bit of a hermit lately, but she said she'd try and make the effort to come out and see me more often :thumbsup:

Picked up a brand new Fender Telecaster about two days ago. Very awesome. 20w amp and the guitar ran me about $550, which isn't horrible. Played for about 8 hours between today and yesterday.

for anyone whose interested this is it:

59985_l.jpg

Edited by Krookie

*Grumble*

I feel like kicking my PC. After the initial hassle with defect HDD's, the poorly performing motherboard and the unpleasant experience that was Samsungs socalled "support" when my monitor deceased, I finally thought I should just kick back and enjoy for a couple of years. Now the gfx card seems to be acting up, Emphasis on seems since i don't have a spare pc of similar technology that I can swap components with for testing purposes :p

It displays random pixels and characters during POST and crashes regularly everytime it does anything powerhungry, e.g. running games or using OpenGL accellerated features like previewing in 3D applications. Even when not, I now get a windows error every now and then that the display driver has stopped working but recovered. Could be anythign from powersupply over motherboard to gfx card. yay :lol:

Yeah, logging the temperature was the first thing i did. Looks all good.

Too soon for a new PC dammit (although getting one where I can finally put 24gb ram in would be nice).

[/rant]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What I hate is being so bloody helpless, and not being able to do much exercise.

Don't complain, you can still wank. In fact, it is a great excuse to do so.

Wait. I need an EXCUSE now?

~

I just got back from a big conference, and I have to say that in some ways being in serious pain was immensely helpful. After about two hours I lost my temper with everything, and started stamping around demanding answers from everyone. I got a huge slew of cards, and many friendly reactions. Although, to be fair, I can barely move today.

-Elwood Blues

went to see a friend after work for coffee (as per usual), then went to another friend's place and chilled out talking bollocks and playing guitar hero

eventually made my way home at like 2am, and had an interesting walk home...

got stopped by some random girl who asked me for a cigarette, then completely out of the blue she asked me if i had a girlfriend. when i said no she straight away started trying to chat me up...

avoided that and continued my walk home

when i got about 2mins away from my place i had some random dude jump out of a car right in front of me and offer me a bong

strange night :lol:

Now the gfx card seems to be acting up..

I forgot which graphics card you have?

The Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870X2. I've been very happy with it so far. I sort of hope its one of the other parts acting up.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein