Rockstar Asks For Favorable Reviews

Tsk.. a good western game sounds like a certain win. Dang it. I just have to wait for them to get around to that pc version...

sigh

I could almost pout. But that would be too dangerous on these forums... :bat:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The hardest thing so far is keeping other people alive. I've failed a couple side missions already. But the game is very good. My daughter likes it too, she gets on her rocking horse and swings her cowboy doll whenever I play, and yells yeehaw. She is also a big fan of the train whistle.

I had about 3 innocents hanged before I got good enough to shoot the rope off of the victims necks. :thumbsup: Its so incredible watching the wildlife interact in the world. I remember early on when I visited a little farm. I hung out just to admire the gorgeous scenery and watch the farmer work grinding away at a table, then I heard yelping and saw a pack of coyotes rush through the farm and grab chickens. The farmer yelled angrily and pulled out a pistol managing to kill one as the pack ran away with their meals. I just stood there with my mouth open at the unscripted event. :p

The hardest thing so far is keeping other people alive. I've failed a couple side missions already.

Ugh. I hate it. I hated protecting / saving NPCs in any game I can name. I'm fine with just watching my own arse, thank you very much.

But the game is very good. My daughter likes it too, she gets on her rocking horse and swings her cowboy doll whenever I play, and yells yeehaw. She is also a big fan of the train whistle.

Adorable. ;)

And as far as I'm concerned, it's proof that the game really nails the western feeling. "Hear it from the children." or whatever the saying goes.

I had about 3 innocents hanged before I got good enough to shoot the rope off of the victims necks. :shifty: Its so incredible watching the wildlife interact in the world. I remember early on when I visited a little farm. I hung out just to admire the gorgeous scenery and watch the farmer work grinding away at a table, then I heard yelping and saw a pack of coyotes rush through the farm and grab chickens. The farmer yelled angrily and pulled out a pistol managing to kill one as the pack ran away with their meals. I just stood there with my mouth open at the unscripted event. :)

Are you doing this to torture us PC gamers? :-

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

So, are there Indians Native Americans in the game?

I've seen some in the trailer, but I haven't run into any yet and I'm about 50% into the game according to the stats after 19 hours of play. There is a section in the northwest called 'the great plains' and I'm betting I'll run into them up there. I've currently made it across the border to Mexico and I'm playing both sides in a revolutionary war.

The guns in the game are awesome for any history buffs. http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Red_Dead_Redemption

I got pretty excited when I was able to buy a Browning Auto 5. I love that the game doesn't make shotguns completely useless at more than 20 feet away.

Back to the original topic, so far I do not find this game over-scored at all. It is incredible. My girls love it, my wife loves it, and I'm struttin' around like a cowboy even when not playing.

I'm embarrassed to admit I have taken to wearing my leather cowboy hat when playing.

Cool feedback. Is the game really deep(besides story) or is there just a wide variety things to do as opposed to things being fully fleshed out?

I've been fairly addicted to the card games the last couple nights. I'm fairly terrible, and I've yet to successfully cheat (although I did win a duel from getting caught.) I'm also horrid at horseshoes.

I guess the game is realistic in that regard. There does seem like a lot to do, although I wouldn't call any of them super deep. It's maybe a bit better than previous GTA mini-games, but not a ton.

I can see the Western setting not applying to non-US folks. I have ghost towns in my vicinity, I've travelled through Nevada, so the Western spirit is something I've seen firsthand.

It must be and I'm glad because I'm so sick of the medieval/fantasy setting or the super duper alien/mutant monster thing and the Fallout post apocalyptic is boring as hell. So a big Western is welcome territory to me.

I've been fairly addicted to the card games the last couple nights. I'm fairly terrible, and I've yet to successfully cheat (although I did win a duel from getting caught.) I'm also horrid at horseshoes.

I guess the game is realistic in that regard. There does seem like a lot to do, although I wouldn't call any of them super deep. It's maybe a bit better than previous GTA mini-games, but not a ton.

I can see the Western setting not applying to non-US folks. I have ghost towns in my vicinity, I've travelled through Nevada, so the Western spirit is something I've seen firsthand.

Oh cool, yeah. Well what about the whole trading part of the game? Is there a decent amount of stuff to buy or trade? Weapons? Clothes? Horses? Wagons? Prostitutes? Slaves?

Edited by Blodhemn

The western setting actually appeals me a lot, but I guess I'll either see if my brother buys it or wait for a PC version.

I don't like the idea of buying a game for a console I don't own (I technically can play the game on my brother's Xbox360, but it would be in an extremely limited fashion and not at my own pace at all).

Is the gameplay very similar to Grand Theft Auto though? I always found myself bored after 3 minutes with those games, for some reason.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Must be an American thing. A Western setting does not appeal to me at all.

the western setting does not appeal to people with bad taste.

same as ennio morriconne(sp?) scores

in all seriousness though, any person who thinks The Good The Bad and The Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West are bad films has absolutely ZERO credibility when it comes to their opinion on entertainment.

zero.

imo.

I'm sure someone out there thinks I have no taste nor credibility because I think the transformers movie from the 80's is better than the michael bay travesty.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Oh cool, yeah. Well what about the whole trading part of the game? Is there a decent amount of stuff to buy or trade? Weapons? Clothes? Horses? Wagons? Prostitutes? Slaves?

There is actually quite a bit of cool stuff to get. Survival maps that will mark all plants within your vicinity, bait to lure animals (I finally tried it and a couple of bucks came along to rub on the scent), apples & other items to restore horse stamina, deeds to NUMEROUS breeds of horses and donkeys which you can also break in the wild and weapons (they unlock based on certain percentages of game or activity completion, haven't quite figured it out yet). The guns all look and perform great and feel different from each other. There are old revolvers and newer semi-automatics like a German Mauser pistol (the game does take place in 1911).

I don't think you can buy wagons, though there are numerous opportunities to get them from waylaid individuals and bandits.

There are cool outfits, but you have to complete various quests and activities to aquire them. The game gives you a list of things to do, from winning at poker in a certain town to beating a story mission and it will check these off. Once all are checked off the uniform is yours. One thing I love is that the game's preorder bonus, a pretty sweet 'dead-eye' outfit straight off the villain from Once Upon a Time in the West actually requires work to get. Most preorder bonuses feel like cheats immediately given to the player at the start.

As for prostitutes, they are everywhere, but you can't 'use' their services as Marston is actually the honorable/faithful type in matters of the heart. Sure, he'll gladly blast a whole town away if you want, but he wont cheat on his wife. o:) Speaking of prostitutes, they are constantly getting in trouble. People are always trying to stab them or carry them off into the desert. :ermm:

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

treasure maps!

im looking forward to these more than pretty much any other feature of the game.

i just hope that the treasures found actually feel worth finding

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

This game is all kinds of awesome.

I decided to peak at multiplayer and ended up spending about 6 hours straight with it. I guess R* wasn't content just making an awesome single player, they had to go and make an awesome multiplayer too. It doesn't hurt that I was pwning noobz left and right, spinning my gun at the end of most of the matches while my character hurled old timey insults at my victims. :p

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Lol, I haven't even touched multiplayer yet. It's been loads of fun just getting the mechanics of the game down and pissing around endlessly. Using the lasso is getting easier. Horseshoes is not.

Seth is ugly, and pretty damn twisted.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

same as ennio morriconne(sp?) scores

I so wish Obsidian could have commissioned that guy to write some new music for Fallout: NV.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein