Rockstar Asks For Favorable Reviews

What I find kind of interesting is that they're opening up a touch more "choice & consequences" in it compared to the GTA games... The fact that there's an "honor" system or some such that keeps track of how you act, grows your legend, and changes how people react to you when you visit places and encounter npc's....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What I find kind of interesting is that they're opening up a touch more "choice & consequences" in it compared to the GTA games... The fact that there's an "honor" system or some such that keeps track of how you act, grows your legend, and changes how people react to you when you visit places and encounter npc's....

In GTA IV, you could see the first attempts at implementing a C&C system for R* games, though the consequences were generally small

(gameplay-wise)

. I still remember Niko saying "decisions, decisions..." near the end of the game, which was like *HINT HINT* :-

They simply like mixing genres, I guess. Which is something I'm comfortable with I love when done succesfully. They tried putting "skills" in San Andreas but I think it wasn't very succesful so they dropped it in GTA IV. They're again going for something like that in RDR, aren't they? Or am I simply misinformed? :-

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

They tried putting "skills" in San Andreas but I think it wasn't very succesful so they dropped it in GTA IV.

I don't think they were unsuccessful in putting skills into San Andreas. In fact, I think the skills in San Andreas is a major part of why I think that's the best GTA to date. That and the gigantic world, of course.

To me, it was immensely satisfying to notice improvements in my character after playing for a number of hours. I could run longer, I could bike faster (and not fall off as easily), I could drive cars better, I could shoot, reload and aim better and so on. I actually think those skills worked better than the skills in most RPG's! Mainly because after playing San Andreas for 100 hours, I still hadn't maxed out anything except the weapon skills. I still had improvements to make. In most RPG's, there's an upper limit to the skills you're advancing and you usually reach if pretty early in the game. Not so in San Andreas.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

They tried putting "skills" in San Andreas but I think it wasn't very succesful so they dropped it in GTA IV.

I don't think they were unsuccessful in putting skills into San Andreas. In fact, I think the skills in San Andreas is a major part of why I think that's the best GTA to date. That and the gigantic world, of course.

To me, it was immensely satisfying to notice improvements in my character after playing for a number of hours. I could run longer, I could bike faster (and not fall off as easily), I could drive cars better, I could shoot, reload and aim better and so on. I actually think those skills worked better than the skills in most RPG's! Mainly because after playing San Andreas for 100 hours, I still hadn't maxed out anything except the weapon skills. I still had improvements to make. In most RPG's, there's an upper limit to the skills you're advancing and you usually reach if pretty early in the game. Not so in San Andreas.

Personally, I liked the skill system in SA, I meant it wasn't successful financially / publicly*. And that's not all that surprising considering it was a bit "experimental".

If they indeed put skills or a similar RPG aspect in RDR (like the reputation system) I think this time it'll be smoother, more matured, and readily available to a wider audience.

*I think the target audience simply couldn't "connect" with the system.

Edited by Nemo0071

Game Informer gave 9.75 :lol:

While I seriously doubt that game is worth high score like that, it's a real shame that Red Dead Redemption ain't comin out for PC. Just finished Episodes of the Liberty City 100% run and GTA - Wild West would have been perfect for me.

GTA IV received perfect 10s at IGN.com & GameSpot.com. When I first saw the scores I rolled my eyes, but when I finally played the game it was the first time I agreed with a reviewer giving a game a 10. GTA IV was not only my favorite GTA game to date but one of my favorite games to date. While I can understand some of the complaints, 'Niko! It's your cousin! You want to go shoot some pool?', the game just did almost everything right. I actually liked the main character in a GTA game for once, the story was interesting, I liked the tone of the game, the physics are mind boggling, the gunplay is almost on par with an actual 3d action shooter game, the voice acting and sound were all phenomenal.

Red Dead looks to have all that great stuff in a setting that I love... only 4 days left! :(

Personally, I liked the skill system in SA, I meant it wasn't successful financially / publicly*. And that's not all that surprising considering it was a bit "experimental".

If they indeed put skills or a similar RPG aspect in RDR (like the reputation system) I think this time it'll be smoother, more matured, and readily available to a wider audience.

Don't know how developers could connect those dots. Take2 tell us that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has sold over 21.5 million units and only for PS2 it has sold more then 17 million units. EVERYTHING in GTA: SA has been successful. Like Mkreku said, even the skill development system worked better then in most of the CRPGs. While I loved GTA 4 and especially Episodes from Liberty City, I think skill system (even optional) would have made 'em even better.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Don't know how developers could connect those dots. Take2 tell us that Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has sold over 21.5 million units and only for PS2 it has sold more then 17 million units. EVERYTHING in GTA: SA has been successful. Like Mkreku said, even the skill development system worked better then in most of the CRPGs. While I loved GTA 4 and especially Episodes from Liberty City, I think skill system (even optional) would have made 'em even better.

I don't know how to explain it exactly... Like I said it wasn't... smooth, perhaps? Tbh I'm just looking for a way to justify the fact they didn't use that system in GTAIV. I guess it may have to do with GTA games giving you more freedom and needing less abstractions than an RPG.

"You wanna drive better? How about we (try to) implement a driving mechanic as realistic as possible, and you get better at that by way of your own skills, not your character's?" Stuff like that.

only 4 days left! :lol:

Not for us PC only gamers :(

Bleh. I have a lot of games I need to play in the meantime. If that's the way they want to do it, let them do their console thing. *shrug*

I just feel it's unfair. When (if) it comes out for the PC, they could justify it by maybe a better price etc. e.g. The Episodes from Liberty City is great value for the price. (on Steam, that is. it's ridiculously expensive on retail where I live.)

Something along those lines, maybe?

ugh, i hate it when a game won't let you remap all the controls. borderlands on xbox was extremely obnoxious in that regard because it had 10 preset control schemes and NONE of them had button placement that made sense to me...

oh well, the controls in gta 4 console version didnt bother me, so hopefully i'm fine with them here

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm planning on heading to my local Gamestop late tonight for the Midnight release party. Should be fun, haven't done one of those in a few years.

Last time I did was for Resident Evil 5. I'm so going to regret this in the morning at work.

Maybe I can get mysteriously ill and call in sick for work tomorrow... :p

Been messing around with Red Dead for the past few hours. Did a few story missions but most of the time has been spent kicking dogs, shooting wildlife, hogtieing citizens and dropping them off at the train tracks, off cliffs, lassoing people and dragging them behind my horse, pushing people down stairs/off cliffs.

The game is fantastic... all the stuff you can do to cause trouble, the physics, the wildlife... speaking of wildlife... I noticed some movement in the brush, figured it was a coyote so I hopped off my horse to blast it and to my shock it turned out to be a cougar which proceeded to maul me to death. I'll be more cautious next time. :)

Another awesome moment was starting a fist fight in town which escelated into a gunfight, I then ran out towards the train tracks, saw a train coming by and managed to actually leap into one of the cargo containers, then I climed outside and onto the roof, only too have the train pull into the station where I had a last stand against a pissed off town. It wasn't the best escape route.

I HATE leaving the game, but my day tomorrow is going to be miserable enough as is with what little sleep I'm going to be getting tonight. It was totally worth it though. :p

If you guys are trying to decide between xbox and ps3 version, here is an honest comparison:

X360 vers. (left) vs. PS3 vers. (with exclusive hat)

2zodcg9.gif

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So, it's the Second Coming then ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's easy as long as you use dead eye. turn off auto-aim and stop using dead eye and the game becomes much harder

EDIT:

doesn't the ps3 version get some extra free DLC goodies as well?

Ya, which was reflected in my honest comparison:)

Edited by vault_overseer

Well people playing here tell me that even without using dead eye ( no one uses auto-aim anyway) you don't have to worry about a thing. enough bullets, enough money and health regenerates fast , so other than misjudging the situation or falling recklessly into a trap there's no real danger.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Well people playing here tell me that even without using dead eye ( no one uses auto-aim anyway) you don't have to worry about a thing. enough bullets, enough money and health regenerates fast , so other than misjudging the situation or falling recklessly into a trap there's no real danger.

Considering that I had to consult an IGN video to figure out auto-aim after two days of wondering where it was, I'd have to say that I've found it challenging enough.

The hardest thing so far is keeping other people alive. I've failed a couple side missions already. But the game is very good. My daughter likes it too, she gets on her rocking horse and swings her cowboy doll whenever I play, and yells yeehaw. She is also a big fan of the train whistle.