Wish me luck

Cantousent

whatever it is you do to wish someone luck, do it now. I've just thrown my hat into the ring for an adjunct faculty position at California Baptist University. If I get it, it's a way to earn money while I continue school. It's close to UCR. The course material I'll teach compliments the course material I currently have under study. It would be great.

On the down side, the position is for teaching survey courses to a bunch of obnoxious students, mostly freshmen. It's an adjunct position which means the faculty will consider me one step above dirt. ...And I'm sure I'll have to share an office with at least two other people who may or may not bathe regularly.

Still, wish me luck!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

...And I'm sure I'll have to share an office with at least two other people who may or may not bathe regularly.

Still, wish me luck!

but then again, maybe they'll be hot party chicks!? ;)

uh, you are a dude, right?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Good luck! My ex-girlfriend used to work as an adjunct and it wasn't so bad. Of course, she taught 19-21 year old swedish girls how to speak french.. ;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, I am a guy.

Yes, I would love to teach 19-21 year old Swedish girls how to speak... well anything. I'd make it up if it came to that. I don't know that my wife would let me take the job. lol

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Even if you don't get to teach 19-21 swedish girls french something, good luck anyway (you old tree-hugger) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well I don't have any candles but I just lit off the stuff in the burn pit a couple hours ago so I will gues that will have to do. :lol:

Good luck man.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

...And I'm sure I'll have to share an office with at least two other people who may or may not bathe regularly.

Still, wish me luck!

but then again, maybe they'll be hot party chicks!? :)

uh, you are a dude, right?

taks

hot party chicks at someplace called California Baptist University? is possible, but for some reason we find the notion... disturbing.

our short-lived career in academia was actually quite enjoyable. good luck to eldar.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, I sacrificed the goat (with a house brick, which was a tad noisy) and had a quick look-see at the beast's steaming entrails. The neighbours were a bit shocked, but I'm sure they'll get used to a 6'3" 175 lb pagan living next door.

Good news!

The shiny pancreas tells me that tenure is assured for Eldar in the department of his choice.

Furthermore, the silky smooth liver revelas that his study will be shared with the flaxen-haired Nordic scholars Ingrid and Helga who are studying for their doctorates in Sapphic Studies on attachment from the University of Stockholm!

Lastly, the goat's slippery but pounding heart was of superlative quality....what this tells me I will reveal later!

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not nearly so boring as a candle. ...And much more entertaining to read. hehehehe

Bikini studies in CBU? Hmmm, let me see, this is the final question I had to answer:

"In the space provided please describe how your Christian experience is related to your philosophy of higher education. What influence do you think a teacher should have upon his or her students? How do you propose to integrate the Christian faith with the teaching of your particular subject area?"

I gave an honest and straightforward answer to it. ...And I don't think the fact that I'm Roman Catholic (leaning towards Monte's Pagan cult right now) will hurt me. I hope.

Obsidian Plays

We welcome converts from all denominations and faiths into my Pagan cult.

It's fun. Well, it can get a bit chilly dancing naked around a menhir in January, but the heavy drinking and orgiastic rites make up for it.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Good luck to you, Eldar. I'm sure you'll do very well.

That question regarding Christian experience is a bit off-putting, as I dislike religious agendas in education.

But, I know you to be a fair-minded, balanced, kind and intelligent individual, which is a lot more than I can say for some Christians I've experienced. I suspect you'd bring the core beliefs of good-will from your faith to your teachings, not blinkered ideology.

I hope your office-mates bathe regularly.

newlogo.gif

You know, it's funny, Phosphor. I have quite a few stories to tell.

My biggest worry is that I will be trapped during the interview process. I've already exchanged emails with the head of the history department at California Baptist University. It was an encouraging and positive experience. With that in mind, I'm looking forward to speaking with him.

Growing up, my best friend belonged to a christian family. I remember getting him involved in Dungeons and Dragons. Then the mandate came down from the pulpit, Dungeons and Dragons is evil. Okay, so I invested some money in an alternative: Gamma World. Oops, ALL role-playing games are now evil? Hmm, I say, I'm Catholic. I go to church. I help old ladies across the street. It's not like Dungeons and Dragons has caused me to join the Pagan Cult of Goat Slaughter. Well, my friend went home and told his mom all about my compelling argument. Her response, Catholics worship Satan. At the time, I just thought it was this particular family. Nope, I've heard it since.

So, based on my Roman Catholocism, I've been called a whore, a Satanist, end worse.

Then there's the fact that, while I'm not ashamed to claim my Christianity, I tend to be private about it. If asked, or if it's pertinent to a conversation, I'll be forthcoming about my religious beliefs. I don't broadcast my religion. Why? Not because I'm ashamed. Rather, I have always believed that my actions and my demeanor should properly convey my beliefs. So, if it comes to religion, then I'll have a frank and honest discussion. The outcome of those discussions that arise from a mutual desire to explore religious belief with another person have been my way of spreading the word over the years. I don't believe I have always made an impact, but I know I have made some sort of impact on others by sticking to one core value, that my religion should not impose itself on the unwilling.

Because of this, I have, based on my personality not on my religion, been said to be an atheist, to lack conviction, and a coward. My religion, that I supposedly don't have, keeps in check my inclination to knock on his ass someone who calls me a coward.

So, I often feel as if I can't win. I'm not an atheist. I go to church and I engage in the sacraments.

Now, this is my theory, living a good life is more important than preaching the good word. Does that mean I look down on folks who go door to door preaching to others? Not really. I answer the door and step out on the patio and discuss the issues with folks. I have no problem engaging in discussion with others and I find religion fascinating. Some seem weird to me and some seem somewhat disgusting. Hell, Monte's scares me! ...But I recognize that my personal beliefs probably seem strange to a good many folks.

Still, I think living the life of a good Christian, in as much as we are able, speaks far more to the skeptics than any number of words. We should not exhort others to be worthy of Christ unless we endeavor to be worthy of him. Acts that show true conviction must be in your heart and done by your hand before they come out of your mouth. ...and since perfection is outside of our reach, I truly believe a gentle word is far more compelling to non-Christians than the harsh one. I may be wrong. Who knows what the ultimate truth is? I trust that I'm following the right path in adhering to my Catholic beliefs. God willing, I will be a positive influence on the world. ...Or at least my own little corner of it.

Obsidian Plays

Then there's the fact that, while I'm not ashamed to claim my Christianity, I tend to be private about it.  If asked, or if it's pertinent to a conversation, I'll be forthcoming about my religious beliefs.  I don't broadcast my religion.  Why?  Not because I'm ashamed.  Rather, I have always believed that my actions and my demeanor should properly convey my beliefs. 

Now, this is my theory, living a good life is more important than preaching the good word. 

Still, I think living the life of a good Christian, in as much as we are able, speaks far more to the skeptics than any number of words.  We should not exhort others to be worthy of Christ unless we endeavor to be worthy of him.  Acts that show true conviction must be in your heart and done by your hand before they come out of your mouth.  ...and since perfection is outside of our reach, I truly believe a gentle word is far more compelling to non-Christians than the harsh one.  I may be wrong.  Who knows what the ultimate truth is?  I trust that I'm following the right path in adhering to my Catholic beliefs.  God willing, I will be a positive influence on the world.  ...Or at least my own little corner of it.

I'm not a religious person, but that's not to say I do not believe in any faith, I just lack, for want of a better word, faith. There's also elements of Christianity (and other religions) that I simply cannot reconcile myself with. Whether those elements are in the religious texts or espoused by many followers, I'm not sure.

However, the comments I've plucked out of your post I agree with 100%. I believe that is the core intent of Christianity, and, given my limited knowledge of the faith, think it's how Christians "should" act, that such actions are very much in the spirit of the faith. My parents, whom are Anglican, act in the same way. Show, or lead, by example, not by dictating dogma and doctrine.

It's very much a situation of the old "do unto others..." adage, which I try to adhere to, though don't always succeed.

newlogo.gif

when exactly, did you become a moderator, phosphor?

taks

Earlier today!

There are a few new mods about (crazy.joe and Adria Teksuni); Guildmaster contacted me asking if I'd be interested as my name had apparently been suggested. I accepted.

Now I am the Cruel And Viscious Overlord of General Banter.

newlogo.gif