Does anti-colonialism play a role in this game's plot?

Neocolonialism is a political and economic system, primarily enacted by the United States with aid from organizations such as the IMF and the UN, which retroactively or proactively justify and commit to United States political interests abroad. One would not be remiss from judging neocolonialism to be the defining characteristic of modern geopolitics, as it defines the worldwide economic system in a unique and modern way. Imperialism, the previous system of global control, had an incomplete stretch and was less efficient, but neocolonialism has its own weakness, namely its ability to be corrupted and destroyed from its outskirts.

Given that this game purports to be about a spy in the REAL WORLD taking place TWENTY MINUTES IN THE FUTURE, neocolonialism and anticolonialism should take a prominent role, especially given that the country takes place in countries which suffer heavily under US imperialism, such as Taiwan, Russia and Saudi Arabia. Especially Russia. And especially Saudi Arabia.

"It's not easy for some to accept, but the Soviet Union really did spend decades of time and untold fortunes in efforts to undermine non-communist government arounds the world. The USSR attempted to use espionage, propaganda, two-headed transplant operations, blackmail, the Olympic games, murder, kidnapping, ESP, military force, drugs, lies, imprisonment, ballet, torture, terrorism, and an army of half-man, half-ape soldiers (no, we're not making any of this up) to make the globe turn red. Those commies really did want to take over the world, were quite ruthless about it, and non-jackasses should be supremely grateful they failed.

If the Soviets had won the Cold War, their system would have been imposed on us and (for a start) many of us smart-ass gamer types would be gulag-bound.

Sure, there are those who say America is a fascist country, but here's a test for them. If a person can criticize his government for being fascist without winding up dead or in jail, it's not really fascist. Moreover, everyone who has lived in a real totalitarian state earns the right to punch them for trivializing their plight.

The previous section outlined a litany of sins the USSR commited during its losing effort in the Cold War. It's a matter of public record that the US and its chosen allies did pretty much all the same things to win (no half-ape super-soldiers though). To be sure, it was often for shorter periods of times and in smaller numbers, but it happened all the same. Was it worth it for the sake of democracy, etc.?"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Why did I know this was a LoF thread when I saw the title?

The US isn't an empire, LoF (ok, technically it is, but not the sense you're referring to). It has international influence. And if your complaining about imperialism, look at your beloved Soviets. They ruled half of freaking Europe.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Hold up, I need to know more about these half-ape super soldiers. Linky?

Dr. Ilya Ivanov was a pioneer in artificial insemination amid Livestock, IIRC. I think he did the first zebra/domestic horse crossbreed. In the 1920s he attempted to create a human-ape hybrid by using donor sperm in chimpanzee females. None took. If memory serves me he tried to organize human female volunteers for an attempt with ape sperm, but a number of factors ended the project. While the experiments were supported by the government (Academy of Sciences and the Society of Materialist Biologists), I don't recall a specific rationale that these ape-humans would be the soldiers of tomorrow as a reason to do it.

This kind of thought wasn't necessarily unusual if a bit radical - see Serge Voronoff's research into introducing grafting chimpanzee testicle tissues to human testicles in an attempt to jump start human glands and improve/prolong life or Skevos Zervos the first person to attempt such a transplant.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hold up, I need to know more about these half-ape super soldiers. Linky?

If memory serves, the guy who tried those didn't stop there, I think he tried a lot more things, some even crazier. I think his work also involved improving and "mixing" vegetables at some point. Stalin used him and his crazy research (which never worked) for propaganda. The guy entered history as one of the biggest mad scientist and charlatans ever.

Sure, there are those who say America is a fascist country, but here's a test for them. If a person can criticize his government for being fascist without winding up dead or in jail, it's not really fascist. Moreover, everyone who has lived in a real totalitarian state earns the right to punch them for trivializing their plight.

Well, americans had the red scare, though i think you mentioned that below. I don't mean to defend the USSR because, like LoF, i'm a Trotsky person, but american freedom of speech, and specially american foreign policy on freedom of speech isn't so far away from fascism (things like Vietnam or Iraq or the CIA involvement in Latin America). Sure, it's not "so bad" for americans themselves as the USSR was for russians but it's far from acceptable.

We can't really know what would happen if the world was under the USSR, but i doubt it'd be good things either. The thing about the USSR, though, is that corruption is what broke it, while in the US, it's not the corruption of capitalism, but merely capitalism working how it's supposed to.

Anyways, on topic, i don't know, i don't think this game necessarily has to make a point or anything. It's more James Bond than Jack Bauer, fortunately, so i'm betting it'll have a very basic anti-war message and that'll be it. I think it's silly to ask more from Obsidian, considering this game's supposed to be sold for money. I wouldn't mind Obs throwing a few Deus Ex-like political conversations but i just don't see it happening.

It's a laid back, american spy game. Let's just be thankful the bad guy isn't a russian dude with an eyepatch called Kaptain Kulaksux. Or that it doesn't have subliminal Obama propaganda o:)