New preview with shocking info about real reason for delay

ME2 coming out in January isn't really a factor, post-EA Bioware are really in a different ball park now. They can release it in January because then the entire gaming media will gravitate to them, in the absence of other heavyweights. Alpha Protocol, as a new IP especially, can't really do that. It does look like the delayed release helped it get more attention - just wonder whether June wasn't overkill.

I'd have to say June is overkill. I wonder how many people who heard about this game last year still even know it exists?

EA/Bioware is there a difference?

ME2 coming out in January isn't really a factor, post-EA Bioware are really in a different ball park now. They can release it in January because then the entire gaming media will gravitate to them, in the absence of other heavyweights. Alpha Protocol, as a new IP especially, can't really do that. It does look like the delayed release helped it get more attention - just wonder whether June wasn't overkill.

I'd have to say June is overkill. I wonder how many people who heard about this game last year still even know it exists?

I was interested in this game last year and must admit I dod forget about it; the only reason I remembered about it was seeing a tiny article in a magazine.

I think against Red Dead - with the pulling power of Rockstar (i've seen more media about there next game after Red Dead which is in its very early stages than this game) and against Alan Wake which will have Microsoft throwing all its weight behind it; it will go unnoticed.

But it can not release in the summer as games do not sell well then and in the Autumn it will have Fallout New Vegas and Fable III to compete with so they have no other choice unless they wait until next year.

I was interested in this game last year and must admit I dod forget about it; the only reason I remembered about it was seeing a tiny article in a magazine.

I think against Red Dead - with the pulling power of Rockstar (i've seen more media about there next game after Red Dead which is in its very early stages than this game) and against Alan Wake which will have Microsoft throwing all its weight behind it; it will go unnoticed.

But it can not release in the summer as games do not sell well then and in the Autumn it will have Fallout New Vegas and Fable III to compete with so they have no other choice unless they wait until next year.

early stages?? It was gonna be relesed october last year before it too was delayed

It's a shame that AP could not come out before ME2 and the latest Splinter Cell, whatever it is called. It is very hard to compete with Mass Effect, Bioware is just about the strongest RPG maker going, terms of their employees and resources, so people will invariably compare the two games , especially as -- as I've mentioned long ago -- they share a number of similarities in design.

It would be nice if AP came out before Splinter Cell, because I think people will have their spy/thriller lust satisfied by just one game, and not need both; even if they are different genres of game.

I think the ideal thing for Obsidian to have done would have been to wait for a Hollywood spy movie to be in pre-production, then start the production of the game, in hopes of officially making the game based on the movie , thus generating a great deal of publicity. If the game was very successful in this matter they could then launch an original spy IP using the same base design and engine, as a sequel, without a movie tie-in. Besides a new Bourne and Bond of course, there is bound to be some other adaptable thriller that could work, as the character has flexibility to play as the fictional hero would, because of the different ways of playing the game. Thus you could work on the game and adapt in late in production to any IP you are working with .

I dunno. All easier imagined that done, I suppose.

Edited by kreese12

If this about the delay is true, then its over for AP. Not only did it set the expectations higher, Obs actually didn`t bother with polishing all these time (it might be Sega not letting them, but either way). This game is not polish enough at all, and thats 3 games in a row Obs rushed or left the game unfinished and release it. The graphics are not good, lip sync problem, and the damn bugs. Just with these the reviewers will give AP a low score. And unless the game have a large fan base, or its a well known franchise, the game`s score directly affect the games sales a lot more than it seems.

If this about the delay is true, then its over for AP. Not only did it set the expectations higher, Obs actually didn`t bother with polishing all these time (it might be Sega not letting them, but either way). This game is not polish enough at all, and thats 3 games in a row Obs rushed or left the game unfinished and release it. The graphics are not good, lip sync problem, and the damn bugs. Just with these the reviewers will give AP a low score. And unless the game have a large fan base, or its a well known franchise, the game`s score directly affect the games sales a lot more than it seems.

Lol wat.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

You haven't played the game but you already know about the bugs? Wow.