An interesting analysis of liberalism.

lord of flies

It is the unique curse of the modern liberal to understand the past but never the present - to understand how the system works but to never be able to apply that knowledge. Any good liberal who looks into the Spanish-American war will come to the conclusion that the atrocity stories were highly exaggerated if not fabricated and that US intervention increased the bloodshed anyway. They will see that the stated reasons for war were a laughably thin cover for mere ambition and greed. He will recognise that the sinking of the Maine may well have been a false flag attack. He will then dismiss outright any such analysis of current imperial projects. Our leaders are not evil but merely misguided, mistaken or ideologically driven.

Thus is it that the liberal exhorts his friends not to believe everything they see in the mainstream media - and then he believes the mainstream media when they claim there is a genocide underway in Yugoslavia. He preaches against racism but is terrified of the rise of the perfidious Chinese and says that Africa has some really terrible cultural problems that it needs to work through - with UN help of course. He passionately believes in representative democracy - and that's exactly why it shouldn't be reformed to allow people to vote for those they feel really do represent their interests. He may condemn CEO's for oppressing, dispossessing and starving millions in India but he reserves his real hatred for the revolutionaries who shoot them. He hates neo-nazis but he also hates anybody "extreme" enough to go out into the streets and crack their skulls.

The curse of the liberal also has a moral dimension - a sure sign of a liberal is that they oppose a war because too many of our soldiers will die or it will be too expensive - or, most commonly, that it won't work. The implication being that it would of course be a noble undertaking to liberate the poor Iraqis/Yugoslavs/Vietnamese from independence if only the scheme were feasible. A war with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea would be absolutely desirable, if only it were winnable.

Yet another dimension is a peculiar dialectical cowardice - in any debate between a conservative and a liberal the liberal will seek consensus and dialogue, reassuring the conservative that there is common ground between them. The conservative meanwhile will tell the liberal that he a coward, utterly wrong, possibly a traitor and probably damned.

The liberal also suffers from a kind of arrogance - the liberal observes that George Bush has got away with heinous crimes, started multiple wars, pushed through exactly the regressive economic changes he wanted and made a huge amount of money for his friends, family and above all his class. Observing this he chuckles to himself - "what an idiot George Bush is!".

Pity the poor liberal - doomed to understand everything except what's right in front of his face - to know how to think but never reach the right conclusion - to be the smartest guy in the room with the stupidest opinions. He has a telescope at his disposal but his myopia renders it no more useful than a [masturbatory device for women designed to simulate the male sexual organ] made out of a poisonous ****ing cactus.

He hates neo-nazis but he also hates anybody "extreme" enough to go out into the streets and crack their skulls.

Are you the skull cracker or just the cactus?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, this liberal prefers to only attack those who have proven themselves to be a direct threat against the United States. The Taliban and AL Qaeda prved that. We should wipe them out, erase their existence off this mudball. Iraq was not a direct threat of the United States therefore we should have never invaded. Indirect threats, such as China, we simply have nothing to do with. Remove our ambassadors, set an embargo against them, and do not have any relations with them whatsoever.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I'm a liberal who thinks sometimes war is justified and that Political Correctness is the worst thing to ever happen to society.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm a liberal who thinks sometimes war is justified and that Political Correctness is the worst thing to ever happen to society.

Agreed.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I'm a liberal who thinks war needs as much justification as gravity, and political correctness is to equality what sex ed is to making love.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm a liberal who thinks war needs as much justification as gravity, and political correctness is to equality what sex ed is to making love.
What exactly do you mean by "war needs as much justification as gravity"? It seems to imply that we can/should go to war literally "whenever," but that's a very extreme opinion I don't think virtually anybody holds.

And what the hell does political correctness have to do with anything posted in this topic?

Sometimes war is justified, sure. The Great Patriotic War, for example, was justified on the part of the Soviet Union (not on the part of the Nazis though, obviously). The point that the original poster of the quote was making is that most wars the US was involved in throughout history were more or less naked wars of imperialism (i.e. War of 1812, Mexican-American War, Spanish-American War, World War 1, Vietnam War, Gulf War, Yugoslav Wars, Iraq War, and to a lesser extent the ongoing military occupation of Haiti), and that modern liberals are capable of recognizing this in the retrospective but fail to do so in the modern day.

And what the hell does political correctness have to do with anything posted in this topic?

lol. Obviously nothing.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"