Asking Straightforward questions to politicians...

This November the Governor elections are taking place in Iowa. A lot of Republicans wants to create a Constitutional amendment to our state's Constitution to ban gay marriage. Stupid and bigoted, eh?

Any hoot, there are three front runners on the Republican side and I sent each one an e-mail that asked:

Should a majority have the ability to determine the rights and privileges of a minority?

I wonder if I will get an answer...

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

That's not a straightforward question. It's a vague abstraction designed either to rope them into an obvious rhetorical trap, or to make them look shifty by having to qualify their answers with a lot of little nuances.

And, depending on how well-funded and well-run each of the candidates' operations are, you might get a reply or two written up by some intern that does little more than refer you to the campaign webpage.

Edited by Enoch

I see it as a yes or no question. You are either for allowing a majority to dictate the rights and privileges of a minority or not.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

For any reasonable (read: not-entirely-manichean) viewpoint, there are 1000 examples where the answer is yes, and a 1000 examples where the answer is no, depending on the particular "rights" and "privileges" you're talking about.

I wonder if I will get an answer...

It's almost pointless to bother asking. Bigotry never runs out of ways to justify itself.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You should add attachments where the words "rights" and "privileges" are clearly defined within the context of your question.

If your question was context-free, you could easily ask the following:

"Should rapists in prison have the right to vote for who first has the privilege to pop the cornhole cherry of the prisonguard?"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Should a majority have the ability to determine the rights and privileges of a minority?

I don't wish to mock your involvement, which is good. But your question is rather odd. Surely the whole point of democracy is that if rights and privileges are to be determined it must be by a majority?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, but should those rights and privileges or a lack thereof discriminate against a minority?

In a democracy, if the majority says so, yes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So, even if the majority in the South wanted the Jim Crow laws that discriminated against blacks you would be okay with that? After all the majority of the representatives passed them so it is okay to treat blacks as second class citizens, beat them if they get out of line, and do the old time lynching thing once in a while.

:sorcerer:

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

In a democracy any minority is supposed to have the right to self-determination and disaggreement with the majority, otherwise its opinions will never have a chance to influence the majority, and then voting becomes useless.

But they won't answer your question. They're republicans. They believe in shooting first, asking questions later. Did you forget to shoot first?

So, even if the majority in the South wanted the Jim Crow laws that discriminated against blacks you would be okay with that? After all the majority of the representatives passed them so it is okay to treat blacks as second class citizens, beat them if they get out of line, and do the old time lynching thing once in a while.

:sorcerer:

I'm not saying I'm ok with it. Evidently, I'm not a democracy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What about the right to look at child pron? Or to drive 180 MPH on the highway?

If you say 100% "no" to Sandy's question, you're an anarchist. If you say 100% "yes," you don't believe in "rights" at all. It's a blanket distinction that simply doesn't work unless there are a whole lot of nuances, complications, and specific definitions of terms thrown in.

What about the right to look at child pron? Or to drive 180 MPH on the highway?

If you say 100% "no" to Sandy's question, you're an anarchist. If you say 100% "yes," you don't believe in "rights" at all. It's a blanket distinction that simply doesn't work unless there are a whole lot of nuances, complications, and specific definitions of terms thrown in.

I agree with this behatted chimpanzee fellah.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That question will never be answered by a politician. Bit unfortunate, really.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS