The Flaming Lips - Best Band Ever or Just an Orgasm For Your Ears?

Humodour

The Flaming Lips are so good. Some of their albums/songs are whack but they have so much amazing content it doesn't matter - see Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, At War With the Mystics, Clouds Taste Metallic, and Transmissions from the Satellite Heart.

Anyway, does anybody know of any other music like theirs?

Flaming Lips albums are the very definition of awkward pacing. I love most of their songs individually, but I can never get through an album without getting too bored to continue halfway. Play them on random and you're guaranteed to enjoy them more, despite the fact half of their stuff forms vague narratives about chinese girls and pink mechanical toys.

A lot of people who like The Flaming Lips also dig The Decemberists, Beck or the Eels. I don't see the similarities, but it's a trend I've noticed.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Their new album, Embryonic, is amazing, one of their best. Can't go wrong with The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and At War With the Mystics either.

As for similar bands. Maybe Yeasayer? Pink Floyd is similar in some ways as well, especially some of their early albums.

Edited by Thingolfin

Dammit. Anytime somebody mentions the Lips, I end up with "She Don't Use Jelly" stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

For me it's either "Do You Realize" or "Racing for the Prize."

Great band. ;)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Dammit. Anytime somebody mentions the Lips, I end up with "She Don't Use Jelly" stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

I know a girl who thinks of ghosts

She'll make ya breakfast

She'll make ya toast

She don't use butter

She don't use cheese

She don't use jelly

Or any of these

She uses vaaaaaseline

I saw the Flaming Lips 15 or so years ago when 'she don't use jelly' was on the old alternative / modern rock charts.

They played well live, but I can't say I know any other of their songs, except for 'labia'.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

The best advice I can give people new to The Flaming Lips is start with Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. The album actually flows really well, too - only a single song has that jarring quality TrueNeutral spoke of, IMHO - and you'll know it when you get to it.

They did a pretty bitchin' cover of Knives Out if I'm not mistaken.

I think you're talking about the Brad Mehldau Trio.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.