Texas school board is full of morons.

Oblarg

Unfortunately, Texas, history doesn't care about your political views.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Heh, what would the next step be... a Chinese style firewall to protect Texas against the damaging influences from the rest of the world?!? :(

Whatever happened to presenting information from different sources and teach the kids critical reading and questioning their sources?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Heh, what would the next step be... a Chinese style firewall to protect Texas against the damaging influences from the rest of the world?!? :(

Whatever happened to presenting information from different sources and teach the kids critical reading and questioning their sources?

What, you mean not just feeding them information to regurgitate onto horribly designed tests later?

Why would you ever do that?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

We don't support that sort of thing here.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey, we don't get taught how to think, why should Texas?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

While I find it hard to criticise their affirmation that the Founding Fathers were broadly in favour of religion, I lament their obvious neglect of their equal support for slavery and terrorism.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

USA is a country started by a bunch of rich kids butthurt over tea. Belgium is a country started by a bunch of rich kids butthurt over a banned opera.

I do not know which of the two is worse.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

USA is a country started by a bunch of rich kids butthurt over tea. Belgium is a country started by a bunch of rich kids butthurt over a banned opera.

Opera is obviously worse than tea.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I have to agree.

I'm guessing there'll be a bit of a backlash against this. And if Californias textbook policy ends up near the other end of the spectrum (which it might given that this state seems to enact stuff simply out of spite) then it'd allow for the more "liberal" books to be published.

Also some parents might end up pulling a Dover and suing the school district for this sort of thing (by not consulting experts etc).

Also adds to my list of "Get out of the US" reasons.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

While I find it hard to criticise their affirmation that the Founding Fathers were broadly in favour of religion, I lament their obvious neglect of their equal support for slavery and terrorism.

And for revolution!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh noes!

I'm sure this will have as big a negative effect on America as health care reform! :p

apple-orange-comparison.jpg

Thoughts?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Although you have to admit the historically based (and tragic story) of the over throw of Spanish rule of Naples that ends with the revolutionary leader being poisoned by his former friend, a ruler marching an army into the revolution to save his fiance and a mute girl tossing herself into an exploding volcano is pretty stirring stuff.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The bit about the changes to the world history curriculum at the end was particularly funny:

Cynthia Dunbar, a lawyer from Richmond who is a strict constitutionalist and thinks the nation was founded on Christian beliefs, managed to cut Thomas Jefferson from a list of figures whose writings inspired revolutions in the late 18th century and 19th century, replacing him with St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and William Blackstone.
Why do they hate America?

In my experience, elected school board positions are one of those offices that people only tend to run for when they have an axe to grind.

Nothing wrong with bringing a little balance, education has been skewed to the left for like forever. If someone goes too far in pushing creationism, etc, they tend to lose elections, even in conservative districts. I suspect Dunbar may be in trouble in the next election over Jefferson.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Oh noes!

I'm sure this will have as big a negative effect on America as health care reform! :shifty:

apple-orange-comparison.jpg

Thoughts?

I admit, I lol'd.

I would have preferred a picture of a red herring, though.

Nothing wrong with bringing a little balance, education has been skewed to the left for like forever. If someone goes too far in pushing creationism, etc, they tend to lose elections, even in conservative districts. I suspect Dunbar may be in trouble in the next election over Jefferson.

The reason get a lot of flak if they go too far in pushing creationism (or push it at all, for that matter) is because you have to be a complete and utter idiot to literally believe the bible creation story. It's not because "education is skewed to the left," it's because education is supposed to be teaching kids, to the best of our ability, truth. Anyone with half a brain knows that the bible creation story (or its renamed counterpart, "Intelligent Design") is scientific bull****. The only reason creationists get any recognition at all is because they tend to be very loud and obnoxious, and enjoy pushing their nonsensical beliefs on people who are actually interesting in learning how the world works.

Edited by Oblarg

The reason get a lot of flak if they go too far in pushing creationism (or push it at all, for that matter) is because you have to be a complete and utter idiot to literally believe the bible creation story. It's not because "education is skewed to the left," it's because education is supposed to be teaching kids, to the best of our ability, truth. Anyone with half a brain knows that the bible creation story (or its renamed counterpart, "Intelligent Design") is scientific bull****. The only reason creationists get any recognition at all is because they tend to be very loud and obnoxious, and enjoy pushing their nonsensical beliefs on people who are actually interesting in learning how the world works.

That's a bit harsh, I think.

I'm not sure what this really has to do with the creationism argument, this is history curriculum. I don't know any history teachers that stick strictly to the textbook. History is about looking at as many sources of information as you can gather and then thinking critically about them.

There were no historians, sociologists or economists consulted at the meetings, though some members of the conservative bloc held themselves out as experts on certain topics.

To be honest, this is the type of stuff we deal with in every state when it comes to textbook creation. That is why all decent teachers supplement lessons heavily with different sources. Textbooks are mediocre compendiums of curriculum, they help create a skeleton for a teacher to follow, but the teacher has to flesh it out themselves.

That's a bit harsh, I think.

The truth is harsh.

People who honestly believe that god created the world and all the animals exactly how they are and nothing in the natural world changes by means of evolution have no right to be on a board of education. Ever. In order to have that belief, you have to actively disregard a *very* large chunk of well-established scientific knowledge.

The reason creationism isn't taught in science is because it's religious and doesn't have any real scientific backing to it (How can you scientifically prove that there is a diety that creates the universe, but by definition you can't detect it?).

As to the Textbook issue, Hurl, as much as I wanna say you're right, I'm guessing that if a teacher deviates to much from the text they get yelled at by the district. Personally if I ever taught school (and I might being a physics major) I'd probably end up not really using the text that much, at least in classes that weren't really mathmatics. Also, as much as there are good teachers that don't really follow the book, there's probably a dozen who use the text because they're out of their league (I've had several, including one who was boggled when students started yelling about the fact that their project was worth more than anything else in the gradebook when they had been told it was only 15% of their grade because she weighted the grades but didn't put in a representation of the weight).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.