Games you should have played ages ago...

The Two Worlds thread is all about one of us picking up a game that was released a while back, universally loathed, yet enjoying it anyway.

I am just about to install STALKER, which I'm sure you all realise was released shortly after the end of the Nixon administration. I'll let you know if I like it.

What reasonably old games (I mean older than 12 months... this is the future, right?) should we be playing, if we missed them first time around?

sonsofgygax.JPG

For the slightly cheesey factor, Tron 2.0 was actually quite decent for a kind of fps that was released about 7 years ago..

If you want to try finding something that came out of the 90's... for the classic lucasarts adventure, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - captured the Indy spirit quite well.

Or for the other 90's classic.. Alien Legacy - oold sierra, an interesting mix of strategy game with some pseudo-rpg elements to the storyline. Throw in a nice colonise a solar system, resource management, building up research and assorted other factors..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Two Worlds thread is all about one of us picking up a game that was released a while back, universally loathed, yet enjoying it anyway.

I am just about to install STALKER, which I'm sure you all realise was released shortly after the end of the Nixon administration. I'll let you know if I like it.

What reasonably old games (I mean older than 12 months... this is the future, right?) should we be playing, if we missed them first time around?

X-Com Apocalypse. For turn based squad level combat.

Actually, now I think about it they should make the next Modern Warfare game as an X-Com.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, the next time I feel like throwing $10-$20 at Steam or GoG for some retro-gaming, I'm going to go for that multi-pack of old Lucasarts adventure games. For some reason I never played them back when they were new (although I did play several of their Sierra-made rivals).

Other cheap old games I have downloaded at some point in the last couple years: Deus Ex, The Longest Journey, the Might & Magic I-VI multi-pack (that one was based on nostalgia rather than covering something I had missed-- M&M I was actually my first CRPG).

I'm re-playing M&M 6 now.

Edited by Enoch

Beyond good & evil. The game everyone heard about, but nobody played.

Age of Wonders. Best fantasy turn-based strategy game of all time, with a truly fantastic soundtrack to boot.

Also, the original Bard's Tale trilogy is currently freeware. One might want to get it before GoG gets their hands on it.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Been playing it for a while now. Apparently no russian gun shoots straight; except for the bad's guys.

Overall is like Fallout but Russian and uglier and without character progression; but the guns are nice.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Been playing it for a while now. Apparently no russian gun shoots straight; except for the bad's guys.

Overall is like Fallout 3 but Russian and uglier and without character progression; but the guns are nice.

So Stalker is already an old game... What about Torment then?

Overall is like Fallout but Russian and uglier and without character progression; but the guns are nice.

STALKER is ****ing awesome. Atmospheric like no other shooter I've played. Go hunt some bloodsuckers at dusk, or explore an old underground lab -- Fallout 3 is like Sesame Street in comparison.

Vanilla gunplay is not very good unfortunately, which is unforgivable in a FPS. The stealth component is a bit off as well, but the game is extremely easy to mod, so these shortcomings aren't such a big deal. I recommend getting a few basic mods, even if it's your first game -- a ballistics mod and one that gives the guns their real names are good places to start, but there are also some texture mods that make the game easier on the eye. Or go all the way and get the excellent Oblivion Lost. (warning: your saves won't be compatible with that one!)

edit: I just realized you were talking about Fallout in general, not FO3 specifically. The point stands, though.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Any of the Infinity engine rpgs (Baldur's Gate etc), Quest for Glory series, Anachronox, Deus Ex, Fallout 3 (Any of the Fallouts you haven't played yet for that matter), NwN 1 & 2, KotOR 1 & 2 & Grand Theft Auto 4 (If you aren't squemish about violence/cursing and are of age get this now).

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

For the slightly cheesey factor, Tron 2.0 was actually quite decent for a kind of fps that was released about 7 years ago..

If you want to try finding something that came out of the 90's... for the classic lucasarts adventure, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - captured the Indy spirit quite well.

Or for the other 90's classic.. Alien Legacy - oold sierra, an interesting mix of strategy game with some pseudo-rpg elements to the storyline. Throw in a nice colonise a solar system, resource management, building up research and assorted other factors..

TRON 2.0 wasn't just quite decent, it was awesome, and it was very well received by critics at the time of release. Unfortunately, it sold about bugger all.

In any case it's certainly one of the best single player FPSs I have played, with great AI, gorgeous graphics, varied, unique weapons, good voice acting and a lightcycle game on the side. It's certainly better than about any single player FPS released since.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I played through Diablo2 this past christmas break for the first time ever. Didn't beat it either as couldn't get past Diablo at the end. I felt the need to play the necromancer character...

Tron 2.0 was a very good game. I remember a small group of folks trying to do light cycle racing and such multiplayer back in the day. Had thought that sort of multiplayer might take off, but it never really did.

X-Com Apocalypse. For turn based squad level combat.

Seconded ;)

I keep hearing about those two games called Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Maybe I should put some effort into finding them someday. Probably needs to show up on a place like GamersGate or similar though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

STALKER is ****ing awesome. Atmospheric like no other shooter I've played. Go hunt some bloodsuckers at dusk, or explore an old underground lab -- Fallout 3 is like Sesame Street in comparison.

Vanilla gunplay is not very good unfortunately, which is unforgivable in a FPS. The stealth component is a bit off as well, but the game is extremely easy to mod, so these shortcomings aren't such a big deal. I recommend getting a few basic mods, even if it's your first game -- a ballistics mod and one that gives the guns their real names are good places to start, but there are also some texture mods that make the game easier on the eye. Or go all the way and get the excellent Oblivion Lost. (warning: your saves won't be compatible with that one!)

edit: I just realized you were talking about Fallout in general, not FO3 specifically. The point stands, though.

Fallout 3 had something that I felt lacking in this game: character progression. With so many cool monsters that have abilities the game would had benefited from it; or it would had been more akin to my tastes. Also aside from the main story the sidequests feel lacking, most of them are gather and deliver. On the good side, I love the Diabloesque inventory and weapons tiers.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Any of the Infinity engine rpgs (Baldur's Gate etc), Quest for Glory series, Anachronox, Deus Ex, Fallout 3 (Any of the Fallouts you haven't played yet for that matter), NwN 1 & 2, KotOR 1 & 2 & Grand Theft Auto 4 (If you aren't squemish about violence/cursing and are of age get this now).

Definitely Deus Ex and Anachronox! Anyone who hasn't played these classics must do so immediately! Anachronox is tons of quirky atmosphere and tongue-in-cheek funness!

Resident Evil 4 & 5. PC port of 4 is poor but there are some mods that fix the problems.

The textures one feels a little clunky, and it doesn't fix the models: vague lifeless eyes ;)

village_idiot.gif