Cannot start game in XP

This is a fresh install on my computer, just purchased a new copy of the game. Both with and without the patch I get a crash right after the splash screens before the game proper itself starts. The music begins to play, then windows tells me the program has encountered a problem and needs to close. I have tried every combination of options, shut off all background apps, tried using different modes to run the game (Win98 etc) and all fail at the same point. Interestingly, original KOTOR runs just fine on this computer, I recently got bitten by the bug to replay the two games.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=3/14/2010 2:36:27 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=2046

[CPU]

CPUCount=2

CPUSpeed=2300

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=11

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=2048

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=67.90GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\,E:\

Drives=ATAPI DVD D DH16D2P,LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S

[Video]

Video Card Name=NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Video Memory=1024

Desktop Resolution=1680x1050x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=3.0.0

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce 9500 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

NVidia Driver=6.14.11.8585

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Realtek HD Audio output

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Number 3D Voices=30

Number 2D Voices=64

2D3D Bias=1.50

EAX=2

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=0

[Graphics Options]

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=1

• 1 month later...
Mine is doing the same thing man, did you ever find a solution?

Nope, I've pretty much given up after making sure all my drivers were up to date. Every other game I try to play works just fine, including original KOTOR and Dragon Age: Origins

Was very disappointing, emailing lucasarts tech support they just said to update vidcard drivers, didn't work.

Did you try rolling-back the drivers and have you uninstalled the game and then made sure that all of the information was gone before trying a re-install?

I've kept the latest drivers since they work better with some other apps. But when I did the full uninstall/reinstall I did make sure to do it as cleanly as possible.

The issue appears to be graphical, as the music plays, but upon passing all the intro advertisements it crashes.

The issue appears to be graphical, as the music plays, but upon passing all the intro advertisements it crashes.

I'm almost positive that this error has been caused, although it might not the issue in your case, by newer nVidia drivers in the past. You might want to roll-back to an earlier one to see if that is, in fact, the problem.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 1 month later...

The #1 source of this problem is video drivers, and the LucasArts site (or here) isn't very helpful. The only solution that worked for me for this problem (and everybody else that I've read about) is to install older nVidia drivers when you want to play KotOR2. Yes, this sucks, but you *HAVE* to do it. I used 174.74 drivers, as I recall. This game just plain won't work with any newer drivers than that.

• 3 weeks later...
The #1 source of this problem is video drivers, and the LucasArts site (or here) isn't very helpful. The only solution that worked for me for this problem (and everybody else that I've read about) is to install older nVidia drivers when you want to play KotOR2. Yes, this sucks, but you *HAVE* to do it. I used 174.74 drivers, as I recall. This game just plain won't work with any newer drivers than that.

Zakazh your response has been one of the few intelligent responses that I have found on this, or any other related forum. Change the driver. In a logical reality that *should* work.

Unfortunately it did not. I have the exact same problem as the original poster of this post. KOTOR2 will not work on XP. Except I have service pack 3.

And I tried the NVivia 174.74 driver as you suggested. It made the driver pass the diagnostic check. My graphics card is still showing as warning though.

KOTOR works with my up to date driver. Has an ocassional unexplained crash. I just saved often and was able to play the game all the way through.

However KOTOR2 will not get past the load screen immediately after you create a new character. I tried loading an old saved game and that would not load either.

I have tried running it in Win 2000 and Win 98 compatibility mode - to no avail. Oddly enough, this doesn't seem as necessary now that I have downgraded to the 174.74 driver.

I have added the Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 to the Config file with no difference.

I run it as Administrator for it will not run otherwise....so I am doing that already.

I did actually get a specific error message after I downgraded to the 174.74 driver.

swkotor2.exe application error

The instruction at "0x00408ee1" referenced memory at "0x00000030". The memory cound not "read".

Maybe that will help someone who is more sauvy than myself give me an answer so I can play this game again?

Only difference between this sytem and my prior is the updated graphics card, processor, and that I'm running XP with SP3 instead of SP2.

Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. The specific system diagnostic as done by KOTOR will follow.

Thanks in advance,

Sir Marhalt

PS. I have no idea why KOTOR2 thinks I'm running WindowNT 2000. I'm running windows XP Professional version 2002 with Service Pack 3.

Maybe this is part of the problem? :::throws hands up and wishes Obsidian would support their game::::

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=6/21/2010 8:13:23 AM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.10.427

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinNT2000

Version=Windows 2000 v5.0 build 2195

Service Pack=Service Pack 3

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=5196

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2199

CPUFamily=15

CPUModel=15

CPUStepping=2

CPUVendor=AMD

CPUName=AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=2048

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=18.92GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D,TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B,ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P

[Video]

Video Card Name=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Video Memory=1024

Desktop Resolution=1680x1050x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.2

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

NVidia Driver=6.14.11.7474

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

2D3D Bias=0.50

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

Force Software=1

[Graphics Options]

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

Anisotropy=8

Frame Buffer=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

RefreshRate=0

Width=1024

Height=768

V-Sync=1

Texture Quality=2

Anti Aliasing=8

Emitters=1

[Game Options]

EnableCheats=1

UnlockedPlanetSongs=3

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=1

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=177

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=1

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=2

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

[Autopause Options]

End Of Combat Round=1

Mine Sighted=1

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=1

New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie10=1

Movie 9=1

Movie 8=1

Movie 7=1

Movie 6=1

Movie 5=1

Movie 4=1

Movie 3=1

Movie 2=1

Movie 1=1

Movie 0=13

• 2 weeks later...

It can run in XP, because my desktop computer (which is the only one in my house that will run KOTOR 2!) uses Windows XP. But I'm having the exact same issue (the game crashed right after the first video) on the laptop that I'm now trying to run the game on. It uses xp but it has an Intel graphics card. I know it's crappy, but after much ado, I have gotten the game to at least start. When I first tried to run it the game wouldn't start at all. I just got the "this program needs to close" message right away. Now I've installed the latest driver, the 1.0 Lucasarts patch, and TSLRCM, and it lets me create a character with no glitches and shows me the opening credits and first video (the Hawk flying to Peragus). But that's it. Then the screen goes blank, all I hear are the background noises, and then that same "Program needs to close" message pops up. So I don't know what to do. I've tried lowering my screen and game resolution, changing the "flip" thing to "blit" like for KOTOR 1, and toggled down my texture pack to "low," but nothing has helped. I might try disabling sound, but I don't really want to play the game without sound, so I don't know that it's worth it. Maybe the game won't play with my lousy graphics card, but if not, I would think it wouldn't even let me create a character, or it would be glitchy during character creation or something. Usually I've found that that's an indicator that the game isn't going to work. I'd post my specs, but I have absolutely no computer saavy and wouldn't know what to look for anyway, or where to look for it. If anyone has any other suggestions, that's be great.

Difficult to say without more info. It seems to be either a graphic issue or a memory issue.

May be a mouse pointer one since you can see the video and crash occurs after.

Try disabling hardware mouse in the option of the launcher (before launching the game itself).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

After character generation and the movie Kotor 2 crashes(i get a black picture and i can hear the background music).I tried lowering the graphics,installing patches but no effect. The system requirement is ok except the video that shows a yellow colour.

I use Intel g33/g31 express chipset(512 mb).It is really annoying cause kotor 1 and some better game works fine.

If anyone has an idea pls write!!! and sorry for the bad english

ok i have figured it out i had the same problem but in a sorta diffrent way, i have xp service pack 3 and i downloaced the restoration mod and i wouldnt get passed the loading screen just like yours... i found out that you have to put the mssdll file from kotor 1's directory into kotor 2's. to do this press start and go to computer, c program files, lucas arts, swkotor, and find the file, then go back 1, and just put it in kotor 2 after removing kotor 2 mssdll file....

worked for me!

Well i also use service pack 3 but the game still crashes. I even downloaded savegames but i couldn't load them except one(Asteroid exterior in Peragus)so my videocard not as crappy as i thought,still i cannot go elsewhere because it crashes.I also tried 3d analyzer and driver upgrades. but there has to be some way to start it I KNOW.

• 9 months later...

I love how this forum has become 99% "I CAN'T GET THE GAME TO WORK". No, I seriously love it because any time I run into an issue (i.e. every time I install the game) I can just go here and someone's probably already fixed it. Thanks everyone!

Hey guys,

I just recieved a replacement laptop from Toshiba and I was wondering if it would play KOTOR 1 or 2, or even assassans creed. The specs are as follows;

Operating System:

Windows 7 Home Premium

System:

Manufacturer; Toshiba

Model; Satellite A665-S6090

Processor; Intel® Core i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz

Installed memory (RAM); 4.00 GB (3.80 GB usable)

System type; 64-bit Operating System

Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.