What are you playing now?

Darque

WoW... a whole 1 day of gameplay for 50 bucks...

The joys of the industry, at times. Pays to wait for prices to go down, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tried my hand at Splinter Cell: Conviction; started on Sunday, finished on Monday. All in all it was kind of meh, some good moments if you like action-stealth games. It fails in that is split into both an shooter and a stealth game, with the controls for the shooting aspect being very uncomfortable.

One of the reason as to why I partially support piracy :)

Yes, always have to find someway to justify your unwarranted sense of entitlement.

The joys of the industry, at times. Pays to wait for prices to go down, I guess.

This is why I'm waiting for God of War and Splinter Cell.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Tried my hand at Splinter Cell: Conviction; started on Sunday, finished on Monday. All in all it was kind of meh, some good moments if you like action-stealth games. It fails in that is split into both an shooter and a stealth game, with the controls for the shooting aspect being very uncomfortable.

One of the reason as to why I partially support piracy :)

Yes, always have to find someway to justify your unwarranted sense of entitlement.

Better losing some pride than losing 50 bucks on an unsatisfactory game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If only there were some way to not spend money on a game without breaking the law...

Mind you, that in some countries it is still legal to download anything for personal use only :) only sharing is prohibited...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Hmm, how did that saying go?

At least if you lose your pride you won't have to trouble yourself with it anymore.

...This sounded a lot funnier in hungarian.

Edited by Oner

It's less a question of legality and more a question of right and wrong.

You, Sir, are in this case very correct!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's all relative. We spend $10 on about 2 hours of movie entertainment.

We do? :ermm:

Not every game can give you a hundred hours of entertainment.

No, but that still wont keep you from feeling ripped off.

Its undeniable that the average playing time for games keeps shrinking while prices remain the same or go up. A good deal, that is not.

Also I don't want to pay for an extended cut scene in which you have to mash a few buttons every now and then to keep going, which is what almost every game boils down to nowadays.

Call me spoiled, but I want to game.

Which is why I'm playing Unreal Tournament and Alpha Centauri. Now a modest ten years after their release.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

If only there were some way to not spend money on a game without breaking the law...

Enoch TKOs. Reminds me of the prisoner on Purgatory in ME2 - the one who hasn't showered in three months because there's always somebody after his... pride. :p

In related news, currently playing ME2 w. infiltrator. With the Locust SMG giving the requisite short/mid range firepower to complement the sniper rifle(s), is probably the most fun I've had playing the game (Sentinel was at first position until now).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

No, but that still wont keep you from feeling ripped off.

Its undeniable that the average playing time for games keeps shrinking while prices remain the same or go up. A good deal, that is not.

Also I don't want to pay for an extended cut scene in which you have to mash a few buttons every now and then to keep going, which is what almost every game boils down to nowadays.

It is really tough to actually prove that games are getting shorter. When I was growing up, adventure games were king and you could finish those in a matter of a few hours. Early FPS games were also incredibly short. In fact it is fairly amazing that the price of games has only moved a smidge given the huge increase in costs that game developers have faced.

You could argue specifically that RPG's have gotten shorter, but then you get games like Oblivion, Risen, and Two Worlds that are absolutely huge.

I really see this as a "When I was younger, things were better" argument. The reality tends to be that you were easier to please when you were younger.

It is really tough to actually prove that games are getting shorter. When I was growing up, adventure games were king and you could finish those in a matter of a few hours. Early FPS games were also incredibly short. In fact it is fairly amazing that the price of games has only moved a smidge given the huge increase in costs that game developers have faced.

You could argue specifically that RPG's have gotten shorter, but then you get games like Oblivion, Risen, and Two Worlds that are absolutely huge.

I really see this as a "When I was younger, things were better" argument. The reality tends to be that you were easier to please when you were younger.

True, but back then the technology was still primitive so you had to have short games. I guess that this whole crossing over to the mainstream that RPG games now suffer is begging to hurt the genre. Now the causal, average gamer, who doesn't have 100 hours to sit in front of a screen is the demographic. Plus there is the whole dumbing down mechanics so that a 4 year old can play the game, making gameplay as exciting as watching a movie. Not always a bad thing, but taxing when it becomes to easy to beat a game.

Not to fall in with the whole when I was younger things, but back then there wasn't as much flair within the games so a strong content was needed. That is something that I feel lacking in today's games, they are flashy but empty.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Its undeniable that the average playing time for games keeps shrinking while prices remain the same or go up.

It's undeniable that (at least in the United States) the price of video games, adjusted for inflation, has actually gone down 20-30% (if not more) in the past twenty or so years.

True, but back then the technology was still primitive so you had to have short games. I guess that this whole crossing over to the mainstream that RPG games now suffer is begging to hurt the genre. Now the causal, average gamer, who doesn't have 100 hours to sit in front of a screen is the demographic. Plus there is the whole dumbing down mechanics so that a 4 year old can play the game, making gameplay as exciting as watching a movie. Not always a bad thing, but taxing when it becomes to easy to beat a game.

Not to fall in with the whole when I was younger things, but back then there wasn't as much flair within the games so a strong content was needed. That is something that I feel lacking in today's games, they are flashy but empty.

I can definitely agree that games are easier and more dumbed down. As you said, there are pros and cons to that outcome. I miss the good strategy titles, but I like being able to jump in and play easily enough.

Still playing Awakening.

Justice seems like a fun companion, I expected something like Vhailor and instead I got.. an undead Knight in Shining Armor, with some issues with being in an alien world. Seems like a fun character.

I'm beginning to think I want to strangle Anders though. OK. I GOT IT. YOU HATED BEING TRAPPED IN THE CIRCLE. NOW COULD YOU -PLEASE- TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE?! ANYTHING??!!

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I can definitely agree that games are easier and more dumbed down. As you said, there are pros and cons to that outcome. I miss the good strategy titles, but I like being able to jump in and play easily enough.

I don't think that what you say is necessarily true. We now have 2 decades of gaming, by now there is a consensus about what type of controls work with each kind of game. Now I can jump into a game and the controls feel familiar because they are based on a previous model. I don't think this is bad.

What I oppose is that the rise of gaming and in becoming more mainstream, the target audience has gone from: the gamer to the casual gamer. The publishing aspect demands that as many people as possible are able to play the game, thus the easy setting and dumbed down mechanics. Back in the day, when the industry wasn't as massive there was still a lot of space to explore what you could do with games, you could have a groundbreaking achievement or a big flop but it revealed something about gaming as a whole.

Those are the kinds of risks that aren't being taken by the mainstream gaming scene today. Were it not for the few spotlights shined on independent developers or underrated jewels, innovation in video games would be completely lost to repetition.

village_idiot.gif

Just finished AC2 and it was a lot better then I thought it would be, far superior to the original.

Enemies no longer attack one-by-one?

Your hoping for too much. :)

Still the fact they got rid of those horrible repetitive missions you had to do before assassinating the victim are gone. The customization of Ezio, the upgradeable town, the ability to assassinate your way, all make for a better game. Still a very strange story though.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Had to stop playing Deus Ex. Once i got into paris catacombs the game was suddenly at super speed. Nothing i changed in the settings helped. It baffles me why now, it ran fine until now and no fix around the internet works. Gdamn >_<

edit: lol that's funny. i added the parameter -CPUSPEED= but had to set it to 5000 to make it work normally. Makes no sense yet again.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

You might have already done this, but have you tried using TurboPC to slow things down ? Quite strange to see that, it's run ok for me on my C2D system with no trouble.

EDIT : Whoops you solved it already

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra