What are you playing now?

Darque

I'm not necessairly arguing motivation. I'm more arguing the fact that in the JRPG's that I've played the characters appear to be more of a victim of circumstance than a chosen one who has some sort of special power that makes them do the primary quest. No "the last of their kind", no "object of power embedded in their chest". And your plot synopsis of FF is utterly useless given that in X the villain was the cloverfield monster, in XII it's a faceless empire, in VII I'd hardly consider Sephiroth to be effeminate. Same with Kefka from VI, and the villain in VIII was a woman...

Have you checked the examples I provided?

I would really like to know which are these games you talk about, because in my years of gaming all JRPGs had the same structure of the PC being "special" or as we say on the West: The Chosen One.

FF breakdown of the effeminate villain:

FFVI- The first years after playing it I though Kefka was a woman he's a man

FFVII- Sepiroth with his long flowing hair and bishounen features doesn't look the least effeminate to you? :x

FFVIII- Seifer Almasy, who looks like David Bowie.

FFX- Seymour Guado

Seifer is as brawny and manly a specimen as you'll come across in FF8. FF9s Kuja is a better example, I think. I mean, the dude wears hotpants!

Androgyny is pretty commonplace in most JRPGs. I'd prefer a happy compromise between femininity and rugged beefiness but hey, that's just me.

Incidentally, HCBailly just began his FF8 Let's Play. Promises to be good fun.

Europe Universalis III - Heir to the Throne. After getting the expansion, my old save games were invalidated, so I started over again as Milano, with world conquest in my sights. Almost done liberating the Italian states and part of Austria.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Got the call to the big club in MLB 10 The Show. I'm off to a hot start with 5 hits in 7 at bats. Still not getting a ton of playing time though, but I think I have a good shot at a regular spot for next season if I play well with my chances now.

I also beat Dragon Age today. I replayed just from the Landsmeet, and I took Loghain and let Alistair wander off. This ending seemed to be a lot better, actually. Loghain got to redeem himself by giving his life in an honorable way, and I got to keep on keeping on. It was more satisfying. Now I'm probably ready to pick up the expansion, although I will wait until April when I know I'll have a bit of time to play.

DAO: Awakening. Almost completed, barring any last-minute fubars, I'd have to say that I'm preferring this over the original. The structure is very similar, but a lot tighter - it doesn't feel like every area runs for (a bit) too long and most dialogues don't turn into 45 minute expositions.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

DAO: Awakening. Almost completed, barring any last-minute fubars, I'd have to say that I'm preferring this over the original. The structure is very similar, but a lot tighter - it doesn't feel like every area runs for (a bit) too long and most dialogues don't turn into 45 minute expositions.

Agreed. I liked Awakening more as well. It was better paced, had some more visually and atmosphereic interesting areas, and less filler combat. Bioware has done it's homework.

Agreed. I liked Awakening more as well. It was better paced, had some more visually and atmosphereic interesting areas, and less filler combat. Bioware has done it's homework.

Better villains, too.

Was REALLY easy on "console normal" with a mage, but I abused the heck out of being immune to my own Storm of the Century. :lol:

I assume I will get my bottom thoroughly handed to me with a warrior PC, as I won't have a similar sledgehammer and the console controls make micro management kind of like getting your fingernails pulled.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Still waiting for my copy of Dragon Age:Awakening to arrive in the mail, so have begun a new game of Origins while I wait. Holy crap switching from ME2 controls back into DA:O is awkward on the PC.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Still waiting for my copy of Dragon Age:Awakening to arrive in the mail, so have begun a new game of Origins while I wait. Holy crap switching from ME2 controls back into DA:O is awkward on the PC.

Yeah I noticed that too. You would think there would be some similarity in design decisions, but everything is completely different.

"I assume I will get my bottom thoroughly handed to me with a warrior PC, as I won't have a similar sledgehammer and the console controls make micro management kind of like getting your fingernails pulled."

Nah. Warrior PC - at least mine - is very easy. Enemies, even bosses, barely do any damage to me. This is the biggest weakness of the expansion, imo. With all the ph@t lewt it makes combat super easy. Too bad too.

"Yeah I noticed that too. You would think there would be some similarity in design decisions, but everything is completely different."

Different designers.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Did som L4D2 Vs with Der and a few of my friends. Fairly balanced teams to the point where the lead was AT MOST 300 points.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Still going strong in Fallout 3. Man, this is a long game. I just got done being almost ganged rape by six heavily armed Talon Company mercs out by an electronics store being ran by a bunch of raiders.

I must have really pissed off those mercs some how.

Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

It really has more in common with modern MMOs than it does with modern single-player CRPGS. The core appeal is in the character progression (XP, loot, gold, stat boosts) and in exploration (with a few pretty good puzzles thrown in), rather than in story, character, or gameworld originality. (The intro FMV is hilariously cheezy.) But the character progression is satisfying, with a very strong skill system providing customization beyond the initial class choice, and the exploration is consistently rewarding-- there are cool things to find in the out-of-the-way locations, and the un-scaled opponents of widely varying difficulty (character levels range into the 100s) make for some risk and some satisfying "return when you're stronger" moments of ass-kickery.

The earlier M&M games 'hid the ball' a bit, with regard to the Big Secret underlying each gameworld. (The secret is

that there's sci-fi hiding under the fantasy-- the gameworlds for M&M 1-5 were constructed environments in enormous spaceships or some such. Late in the games you invariably figure this out and get to fight robots and shoot lasers, etc., while infiltrating the command center.

) But M&M 6 is more straightforward-- you know that there are

aliens

who have invaded, and you know that your party is working to eventually defeat them. Of course, the

high-tech stuff is still kept hidden-- the aliens just look like bugs and are called "Devils" by the locals. But the identity of the nemisis is never in doubt, and there are enough hints (like "ancient weapons" being a trainable skill) about the sci-fi stuff to tip the player off comparatively early in the game

After having a copy of Dragon Age lying around for ages, and having recently bought Awakening, I finally started playing the damn game. And it's the most damn fun I've had in an RPG a long time (and no, I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet).

NWN2 OC

think i've come across another game stopping bug...

i had to use the console to give myself a fiery heart as no matter what i did more fire elementals would just not appear

this time i'm up to reforging the sword, and when i get back to the keep it pops up with a journal entry saying Ammon wants me to go see some dragon, and that my map has been updated with it's location.

except... it isn't...

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

on a whim I re-installed M:TW2. Picked the french and have been having odd troubles with the Spaniards to the point where I'm having to put forts in the passes to stop them from moving into my territory. They keep building small armies, walking into my territory, then cutting the group off (turning them into rebels) when they're in my territory. I ended up posting one fort (working towards another when I have the free troops) in the middle of the pass between spain and france (in the middle), meanwhile I didn't move fast enough on the free territory to the nw of my current territory so Portugal (of all people) ran in and took it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.