Play Ball

Guard Dog

The Padres can just go stright to hell! They were supposed to stink this year. They just took two out of three from the Fish!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm no expert either, but I do agree about Boston being 3rd....possibly even 4th...this year. Their offense is weak (tho perhaps not quite as weak as originally surmised by most media) and the whole team in seeming constant flux.

My Braves fan friend is tearing his hair out over their 9(?) losses. heh

I'm surprised about the A's at the moment, but maybe that's because of the teams they're playing early etc. Don't expect it to last all season, but it's nice to see anyway. :lol:

Giants...they're pleasing me overall. Like with the A's, I don't see them 'taking it all' by the end but still...they seem strong, so who knows.

Ray's are hot right now...if Boston isn't going anywhere, I'd be pleased to see the Ray's beat NY. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not really sure what to expect from the Giants. I know they are going to be over .500 unless something really goes bad, but they really are a roller coaster team when it comes to winning games. They've got some big holes and there doesn't seem to be any way to fill them.

I have no clue what happened with the Padres.

I expect the Padres will run out of steam before long. The Giants on the other hand are winning this division barring any pitching injuries. Their offense is above average but their entire pitching staff from 1-5 is just out of the park good. So far they have the 2nd best ERA in the majors at 2.78 and they best OBP Allowed at .290.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Giants have a bit of a weak #5 guy in Wellermeyer, but I like your confidence!

1-4 could basically be #1 guys for half the teams in MLB. But last night they lost after Lincecum allowed 1 run over 8 and a third innings, so it's not a perfect situation in SF.

Suzuki on the DL list for A's, among others. Too many injuries for them...

The Giants on the other hand are winning this division barring any pitching injuries.

I'll be really "mad" if this is the year the Giants get in the WS, when Boston has little to no chance. *still dreaming of attending my fantasy WS game* o:)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Suzuki on the DL list for A's, among others. Too many injuries for them...

The Giants on the other hand are winning this division barring any pitching injuries.

I'll be really "mad" if this is the year the Giants get in the WS, when Boston has little to no chance. *still dreaming of attending my fantasy WS game* o:)

Who'da figured the Red Sox would have started this way? Only Belte is batting over .300.

Thomas Sowell

Who'da figured the Red Sox would have started this way? Only Belte is batting over .300.

Well, Varitek is over .300, but he's platooning w/V-Mart so it's small sample size. McDonald's also over .300, but he's temp I guess. Yeah...not exactly power-hitting going on over there. o:)

Edit: Their bases-defense has also been completely horrible. V-Mart no longer feels like a catcher solution.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Rays lost a heatbreaker tonight. I really thought it was in the bag in the bottom og the 8th with two men on and Longoria coming up with one out. Of course, he squibed into a double play. I imagine most of you heard me cursing.

Thomas Sowell

The honeymoon is officially over for Ricketts and the Cubs fans:http://www.ballparkdigest.com/news/index.h...article_id=2329

Thomas Sowell

Not a great game by Romero today but the offence got him off the hook and the Jays keep pace in the east. Nice to see. I remember last spring they were swept by the Sox, went on a nine game losing streak and never recovered.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

May is a new month and Boston seems to be finding their way a little better. Nothing that would change my mind about 3rd place, but perhaps they'll at least not humiliate themselves the entire way there. *mumbles about being swept by the Orioles...*

• 2 months later...
Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dies at 80

Jul 13, 10:15 AM (ET)

By RONALD BLUM

NEW YORK (AP) - George Steinbrenner, who rebuilt the New York Yankees into a sports empire with a mix of bluster and big bucks that polarized fans all across America, died Tuesday. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.

Steinbrenner had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not disclosed those details.

For more than 30 years, Steinbrenner lived up to his billing as "the Boss," a nickname he earned and clearly enjoyed as he ruled with an iron fist. The Yankees won six World Series titles during his reign.

He was known for feuds, clashing with Yankees great Yogi Berra and firing manager Billy Martin twice. But as his health declined, Steinbrenner let sons Hal and Hank run more of the family business.

Steinbrenner was in fragile health for years, resulting in fewer public appearances and pronouncements. Yet dressed in his trademark navy blue blazer and white turtleneck, he was the model of success: The Yankees won seven World Series titles after his reign began in 1973

Till the end, he demanded championships. He barbed Joe Torre during the 2007 AL playoffs, then let the popular manager leave after another loss in the opening round. The team responded last year by winning another title.

His death was the second in three days to rock the Yankees. Bob Sheppard, the team's revered public address announcer from 1951-07, died Sunday at 99.

I like how that article says the Yankees one six titles at one point, and then seven at another point haha.

Unless George wasn't involved in the most recent one I guess. I don't follow baseball too closely, but it looks funny to a schlub like me.

He gotta a lot fo flak for his loud opinions and his ahrsh waysn but such passion should be celebrated. I will surely miss him.

As for his part in the latest championship, technically, since he was owner he gets credit for it, but he wasn't nearly as hands on for it as before. His son Hank was the one in charge at the time (and still is). I know he was 80, but this seemed to be out of nowhere as I don't recall any reports of him having health problems lately.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Did anyone hear the national anthem for the all-star game?

It was terrible. Terrible.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies