Dragon Age Discussion

Gorth

Alright that's it. I've been sticking my head in the sand until now, but no more. The PC version of Dragon Age if jagficially craptastic. From a memory leak that won't relent to incessant crashes to desktop courtesy of the new epansion pack, this game is borderline unplayable. I consider myself to be fan of Bioware, but this PC version is pure garbage. If it was any other company you lot would be crying bloody murder. But because it's Bio, this shamelessly poor coding is considered an mere eccentricity.

Such a pity my Xbox 360 is currently laboring under the Red Ring of Death. :)

Still haven't bought and played the expansion but on my PC the memory leak with the OC were never THAT bad.

Sometimes after 2/3 hours the loading times would become Witcher-like (o:)) but that was it.

So you're telling me they managed to make it worse with the expansion?

Alright that's it. I've been sticking my head in the sand until now, but no more. The PC version of Dragon Age if jagficially craptastic. From a memory leak that won't relent to incessant crashes to desktop courtesy of the new epansion pack, this game is borderline unplayable. I consider myself to be fan of Bioware, but this PC version is pure garbage. If it was any other company you lot would be crying bloody murder. But because it's Bio, this shamelessly poor coding is considered an mere eccentricity.

Such a pity my Xbox 360 is currently laboring under the Red Ring of Death. :(

Still haven't bought and played the expansion but on my PC the memory leak with the OC were never THAT bad.

Sometimes after 2/3 hours the loading times would become Witcher-like (:)) but that was it.

So you're telling me they managed to make it worse with the expansion?

Yes, they somehow did the impossible by making the leak worse. In the original game the leak would gradually increase the loading times from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Now, in addition to the loading times, the frame rate gradually drops from 60 to 20.

But there's nothing gradual about the CTDs. They hit you in the face like Chris Brown on Rhianna. o:)

manthing2.jpg

Yes, they somehow did the impossible by making the leak worse. In the original game the leak would gradually increase the loading times from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Now, in addition to the loading times, the frame rate gradually drops from 60 to 20.

But there's nothing gradual about the CTDs. They hit you in the face like Chris Brown on Rhianna. o:)

....Glad my lack of money spared me doing the beta-test for Bioware.

....Glad my lack of money spared me doing the beta-test for Bioware.

Hmm, I haven't experienced anything as bad as that so far. Two CTD's overall, only one without a recent save. I am saving just about every time I turn a corner or have a seemingly important dialogue now though... just in case. Load times were worse in the OC and framerate's been pretty constant for both. I usually only play for 60 minutes or so at a sitting. Maybe that has something to do with better load times, dunno.

I've just been looking through the DA PC Tech forum thingy over at the bio boards. Wow. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I've just been looking through the DA PC Tech forum thingy over at the bio boards. Wow. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

The current consensus seems to be that the persistent CTDs are afflicting the Windows 7-64 bit OS. Which, incidentally, is what I've got.

Am I right to assume you're not using Win 7-64?

manthing2.jpg

The current consensus seems to be that the persistent CTDs are afflicting the Windows 7-64 bit OS. Which, incidentally, is what I've got.

That's just it. I am using Win 7-64.

Found this which may be of help. Possible crash fix

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

I'm about to say something you don't hear often...

"It runs just fine on Vista...."

>_<

I do have to say.. apart from a Hitman Bloodmoney graphics glitch, I've never had any problem with things working on Vista....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That's just it. I am using Win 7-64.

Found this which may be of help. Possible crash fix

Good news: The "fix" seems to have stopped the crash to desktop!

Bad news: The "fix" replaced the CTD with a crash to BIOS, forcing me to enter windows in Safe Mode!

manthing2.jpg

>_< Oh no, that's much worse! Apologies

Just another reason why DA 360 is superior to DA PC.

Ladies... And Gentlemen!

I want to introduce you to the legend of the acursed Black Isle. Scurge of the Obsidian forum, with his patented VologicTM approach to discussion. Regardlessm some people even agree with him, but he's back on form, and making his inane opinion known, no matter how dim witted, or how bad his logic.

It is with great pleasure I would like to introduce you to the man, the myth and the legend.

Volourn!

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Wow, I'm still using Win XP and an old Pentium 4, and I've had very, very few problems with DA:O, all minor. I haven't been too excited about Awakenings, but now I'm glad I decided not to rush out and get it. Sounds like it ruins the original game. *shudder* I'll totally pass on it. Recent expansion packs have really disappointed me anyway.

Edited by ~Di

Volourn!

But he never does shirt signings. :rolleyes:

I know :)

On another note, I believe that the problems are probably related to 64 Bit OS's. Afterall I'm running win 7 x64 and I've had myself some issues.

Someone somewhere in the code likely did something like this:

long foo = 0;
for(int i = 0; i < sizeof(foo); ++i)
{
}

long foo = 0;
{
}

You lost me there... is the problem with the different long sizes in x86 and x64 platforms? I thought it was language platform specific. Does your language default that to long int or long float :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The game did feel more crash prone in the expansion. But it wasn't really that bad for me. Maybe 5-6 crashes in total (compared to 1 or two in the original). So while annoying, nothing game-breaking.

The memory leak I never noticed. Maybe 4GB of RAM is enough to not suffer from that?

And I'm running Win 7 64 bit.

long foo = 0;
{
}

You lost me there... is the problem with the different long sizes in x86 and x64 platforms? I thought it was language platform specific. Does your language default that to long int or long float ;(

I'm probably totally wrong. Stab in the dark, a guess.

It could be a number of things but it's likely type related, as the issue's don't exist for x86 systems atleast that's what seems to be the case.

It could be a pointer, or something akin to that causing a mismatch.

Basically I'm guessing that at some point the code attempts to do something which returns a larger byte size or address pointer which is obviously incorrect.

In all honesty I don't know, I've never written anything for x64 platform.

I don't agree with everyhing he said, but that review was absolutely hilarious!

P.S. It took me over 20 hours to beat A. And, it's no average game. KOTOR is an average game. A is above average. And, it's fantastic expansion.

P.S.S. The fact that people are using 'it's more of the same' to bash an expansion ofa game they enjoyed is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Volourn!

But he never does shirt signings. ;(

I know :(

On another note, I believe that the problems are probably related to 64 Bit OS's. Afterall I'm running win 7 x64 and I've had myself some issues.

long foo = 0;
{
}

Don't worry, it has already been fixed for 64-bit OSs. The foo-variable has now been changed to signed Int32. Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Shrug, I think it wasn't more of the same - it was actually a major improvement on the original. Level design was improved from a gameplay point of view (less grind), there were actual "villain masterminds", instead of just having a 100-hour mook run culminating in a really big mook. :p

I have no idea if any of the gameplay bugs have been fixed on the console side, but the PS3 version played just like the original - jerky but livable. Too bad if the reliability took a (further) hit on the PC side, but I'd play Awakening over the OC any day of the week.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I haven't found anything memorable in the locked chests so far. Sigh, just more of the same ol' DA:O.

Or you could

go get Sigrun