Play Alpha Protocol in San Francisco

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/03/04/see-a...ednesday-in-sf/

Sega is showing off Alpha Protocol in SF this week (Wednesday) for GDC, and is issuing some invites to anyone who lives in the area (or wants to get to SF somehow). All you need to do is head over and reply to that post!

Matthew Rorie

If I could be at school, at a Muse Concert in Montreal and SF at the same time I would.

Otherwise I envy whoever gets to play.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ahhh, I wish I was able to go!

Will there be a downloadable demo sometime before the game is released?

Alpha Protocol = Best game ever created!!! EVER!!!

Can't wait!!! :D

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

That's two states away in the middle of the week. A bit far for a wednesday trip.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I'm unemployed and don't have anything better to do on wednesday... now I just need to find someone to purchase me plane tickets to San Francisco and back :D

Any volunteers?

Hate the living, love the dead.

Why can't they hold GDC in Washington, DC? It even rhymes!

(Then again, were I there, they'd probably put a console gamepad in my hands, and I'd spend the bulk of my allotted time trying to successfully walk through a door without pirouetting into the corner. I don't have the greatest of track records with thumbsticks.)

Edited by Enoch

Thanks, funcroc :) (after how many times saying the same exact thing can we start to wonder who is the mystery guy giving us all those bits of intel :thumbsup: )

Some nice things in that preview, although not much. Really liked this :

In one, our super spy Mike arrives back at his safehouse to find his lady friend resting. The scene is full of prompts, allowing the player to react in a variety of different ways. In this demo, he's appreciative, tender and the scene culminates in the two sharing a kiss. Clearly, he's earned this somehow. In the other, upon walking inside, Mike's beaten and eventually electrocuted into submission by the same woman, in reaction to some heinous acts he must have committed along the way. There's no opportunity to interact with the scene; it's merely a byproduct of a past sin.

Alright, I really didn't expect the second part! I thought they were going to show Mike being more aggressive and rude to the "intruder", but in fact no, she beats him up the moment he gets into the room :ermm: !

Anyone play the demo thing today in San Francisco!?!? :o Please tell us about it! I want some more AP info!!! :shifty: ..... please..

Edited by Beast

Alpha Protocol = Best game ever created!!! EVER!!!

Can't wait!!! :D

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/03...=1#comments-bar

"The worst piece of dialog heard at GDC so far. Her: "I don't like to think of anything happening to that ass of yours on my watch." His response? "That's an interesting answer, I'd like to follow up on that." The game: Alpha Protocol. Erotic!"

I still don't know if it's so bad it's awesome or.. you know, so bad it's simply bad.

Certainly didn't expect something like this from Avellone & Co..

P.S. : Yeah, I pretty much just subscribed to say that.

There is that report from one of the fans who went to the GDC event :

Trip report: Game looks great, action is amazing (during one set piece, the demonstrator used a zipline during a firefight to reposition himself), dialog well written (nothing made me groan, not even the romance scene they showed. Also some genuinely funny moments). Was told the PC version will include high-res textures, for computer folks worried about consolization.

RPG elements looked much closer to Mass Effect 1 than Mass Effect 2, with skill level having a direct effect on weapon accuracy and reticle adjustment. The perks system looked awesome in practice, and was told the perks you have acquire help determine the arc of the story.

The combat and hand-to-hand seemed to flow well, as I mentioned. The cover system is button activated, not just sticky (you have to press a button when near cover to enter cover mode). Nice variety of weapons, with each seeming to have it's own use. Was told you can scavenge and mod weapons in the field if you have the proper skills purchased.

Edit: Demonstrator also mentioned that the story line is told through a series of flashbacks/flashforwards that gradually get nearer and nearer to "in sync" with present day action. He alluded to it being a very unique and cool way to tell the story, and I inferred from his hints that you are able to make decisions in present day action that determine which flashbacks/flashforwards you see/take part in.

Edit: Demonstrator also mentioned that the story line is told through a series of flashbacks/flashforwards that gradually get nearer and nearer to "in sync" with present day action. He alluded to it being a very unique and cool way to tell the story, and I inferred from his hints that you are able to make decisions in present day action that determine which flashbacks/flashforwards you see/take part in.

Sounds awesome. :shifty:

Sounds awesome. :shifty:

The story structure sounds really interesting, I'm not really sure what's the reason for not mentioning it 'till now.

Sounds great, but I still can't decide which version I should get. On other hand it would be nice just to chill on the couch and play it on xbox360 with 40" screen, but high-res textures and possibly better gameplay feel on PC...

Matthew, arrange a pr event in Jyv

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm not 100% sold on:

Demonstrator also mentioned that the story line is told through a series of flashbacks/flashforwards that gradually get nearer and nearer to "in sync" with present day action. He alluded to it being a very unique and cool way to tell the story, and I inferred from his hints that you are able to make decisions in present day action that determine which flashbacks/flashforwards you see/take part in.

But will reserve judgement until I see it in action.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Sounds awesome. :)

The story structure sounds really interesting, I'm not really sure what's the reason for not mentioning it 'till now.

Maybe they wanted it to be a surprise.

The storyline thing sounds like something from Lost, though it's not something unfamiliar to Obsidian from previous games- sensory stones from PST, Korriban from K2, and I guess the final conversation with Kreia could count as a flash forward of sorts.