The Oscar's thread

Orogun01

Bah, if I were an artist I'd want more recognition of my work not even more money.
This comment proves that you are not an artist. :sorcerer:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sure. Depending on who you ask, a hack is just what an unsuccessful artist calls his more successful peers...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's about a perfect example of the decisions that made the Oscar a bit of a ridiculous award.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't know whether she deserved it or not as I haven't seen the movie. However, the point is that she didn't win the Oscar because her performance deserved it, she got it because she has a long Hollywood career, the movie was a schmaltzy human interest story, because she played a character against type, and because the other four nominees were never going to get the Oscar this year. Two of them didn't get it because they had won it already and the other two didn't get it because they are too young and the Academy usually feels that in those cases the nomination is recognition enough.

Heja Sverige!!

That's about a perfect example of the decisions that made the Oscar a bit of a ridiculous award.

Yet it is still recognized in Hollywood, so it is of some importance career wise it can open a lot of doors.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Considering Hollywood picks the winner, it's no surprise that winning an Oscar opens a lot of doors.

Heja Sverige!!

"So he didn't really want an Oscar?"

Actually, he was cheering his ex wife on, so no in some ways he didn't want an Oscar.

There are plenty of reasons why Avatar didn't win. *shrug*

And, i don't think money was the only thing he wanted out of Avatar espicially since there is no way he could ahve known it be making billions of dollars espicially since some were predicting Avatar to bomb and plenty were hoping it would. Whether you agree or disagree, Cameron had a vision for Avatar which is he waited years to make the movie and he managed to deliver what he wanted.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Academy was so fearful of a Sci-Fi Action film winning, they voted for a movie in spite of a movie. It wouldnt make sense shooting down Avatar with a Tarantino flick as that is just replacing one renegade with another. So they settled for the "serious" film. It was also in their interest to make history with the first woman to win as best director and best movie.

Whatever.

The Hurt Locker took me two sittings to finally get through to the end of this movie. Tried to watch it once before but after

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

"These would be the obvious ones:"

Says who? You? L0L

"So, isn't it funny that Sandra Bullock got both a Razzie and an Oscar?"

Can't take razzies seriously. They're to be taken as a joke. Why do you think they gave Bullock the Razzie? Because of the press.

"However, the point is that she didn't win the Oscar because her performance deserved it, she got it because she has a long Hollywood career, the movie was a schmaltzy human interest story, because she played a character against type, and because the other four nominees were never going to get the Oscar this year. Two of them didn't get it because they had won it already and the other two didn't get it because they are too young and the Academy usually feels that in those cases the nomination is recognition enough."

Nonsense.

Does anyone bashing/praising the Oscars even know who vote? It's not some uniform organization that fall in line just ebcause they are told to.It's a bunch of random movie people that come from all sorts from the most famous tio people who you've never heard of. Heck, they have a 12 year old voting on it. Do you really think she cares about the silliness I just quoted? HA!

P.S. Bullock has always been underrated as an actress. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Academy was so fearful of a Sci-Fi Action film winning, they voted for a movie in spite of a movie. It wouldnt make sense shooting down Avatar with a Tarantino flick as that is just replacing one renegade with another. So they settled for the "serious" film. It was also in their interest to make history with the first woman to win as best director and best movie.

Whatever.

The Hurt Locker took me two sittings to finally get through to the end of this movie. Tried to watch it once before but after

Heja Sverige!!

I'm not claiming to be.

But if you're doing it for the money and not for the art, aren't you a hack?

I think you can do it for the money and not necessarily be a hack. Jean-Pierre Jeunet did Alien Resurrection and I'm sure he was doing it for the art and not the money. Although that's debatable.

I can imagine him saying:

Bonjour. Je m'appelle Jean-Pierre, I am an arteeest.

Au revoir.

:sorcerer:

Actually, The Hurt Locker won because it was the year's critical darling. It won the Golden Globe, the BAFTA, the Director's Guild of America award, the Writers Guild of America award, and about every single critics award in the world.

That was the theme of this year's Oscars, by the way: they almost always followed the year's big award ceremonies. About the only exception was the foreign film Oscar which didn't go to The Prophet.

Actually, Avatar won Best Picture and Best Director at the Golden Globes.

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/2010/...den-globes.html

Also, it's interesting how much the Golden Globes and Oscars mirror each other with the wins.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

I watched The Hurt Locker last night -- instead of the Oscar telecast, ironically enough -- and while I won't go so far as to say that it's better than the other nominees (most of which I haven't seen) I will say that it was a very good movie. Complaining that it isn't like Black Hawk Down is like complaining that 2001 isn't like Star Wars. It's not meant to be.

The film is a character study of Sgt. James. It's about who he is as a person and a soldier, how he's suited for his job, how he's not suited for his job, and why he does his job in the first place. By the end of the film we have a complete picture of a fairly complex guy. We never receive this kind of portrait of anyone in Black Hawk Down, indeed, most of the characters remain ciphers throughout. Now, I could turn around and say that makes The Hurt Locker a better movie, but it really just makes it a different movie.

I watched The Hurt Locker last night -- instead of the Oscar telecast, ironically enough -- and while I won't go so far as to say that it's better than the other nominees (most of which I haven't seen) I will say that it was a very good movie. Complaining that it isn't like Black Hawk Down is like complaining that 2001 isn't like Star Wars. It's not meant to be.

The film is a character study of Sgt. James. It's about who he is as a person and a soldier, how he's suited for his job, how he's not suited for his job, and why he does his job in the first place. By the end of the film we have a complete picture of a fairly complex guy. We never receive this kind of portrait of anyone in Black Hawk Down, indeed, most of the characters remain ciphers throughout. Now, I could turn around and say that makes The Hurt Locker a better movie, but it really just makes it a different movie.

I noticed you pick Black Hawk Down but conveniently didn't mention Saving Private Ryan. And I never suggested The Hurt Locker should be like Black Hawk Down. I was talking about War movies in general. There are better war movies than The Hurt Locker.

And Saving Private Ryan is about Private Ryan from when we see him at the start of the movie, throughout the movie and at the end of the movie. We find out about himself and his brothers, why he can't remember them and Tom Hanks says he has to think of a context, then he remembers. We find about Private Ryan as a person as well as a soldier and the complexities of his character as well as his guilt. And he asks the questions to his wife at the end of the movie "Tell me I have led a good life", "Tell me I'm a good man". Saving Private Ryan was a great movie, good pace, good story, good characters, etc.

If you want a good war movie pick up anything other than The Hurt Locker. If you want a boring, slow, tedious, nonsensical war movie go see The Hurt Locker. Responses from veterans have been: "distracted by the nonsensical sequences and plot twists that it will ruin the movie for you", "Some of the scenes are so disconnected with reality to be almost parody", "just about everything wasn

In fact, I walked out of Saving Private Ryan after about twenty minutes because I found it so ham-handed that I couldn't take it seriously. But I don't mistake my personal failure to connect with the movie for evidence that the movie is worthless.

Going on about private Ryan simply shows that you missed my point, which was that different movies attempt to do different things, not that Black Hawk Down should have been like The Hurt Locker. They're both fine movies. I suppose Saving Private Ryan is a fine movie too; certainly lots of people thought highly of it.

By the way, fiction is not required to be strictly realistic. The Godfather is not a realistic portrayal of the Mafia, Apocalypse Now had nothing to do with the war in which it was purportedly set, and Avatar ...

Haven't and not going to see Avatar as I find the notion of wearing recycled 3d glasses repulsive.
I got my glasses in a plastic envelope, and I didn't have to turn them in after the movie. Depends on where you go see it maybe?

Haven't and not going to see Avatar as I find the notion of wearing recycled 3d glasses repulsive.

You must have a hard time using toilets.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.