Delay and expectations

So now we know when this game is coming out, after the long delay. I really want to play this game, and I have dreamed about playing a RPG spy game with choices to make since I was 10. And when I encounter AP, it was like God responding to my prayer personally. But when I saw it was being made by Obsidian, I was a bit worried. Not to be offensive to Obs, I have nothing against them. I think people here have played KoToR 2 and NWN 2, and would agree both games suffer from the same problem. I think Obs and Lionhead share a similar trait. That is they are capable of great AAA games, but always end up lacking in 1 particular aspect. For Lionhead and their Fable series, it was how Peter Molyneux never managed to get his amazing ideas work in game like how he wanted. And for Obs, I think its how the game always ended up lacking polish and final touches.

When I first saw the dev diary videos back in 09, I was really worried that AP would follow and ended up lacking. So when I knew there was a delay, I was relieved. Now with a just more than half a year delay, Obs should have really polish the game already. I just watched the new dev diary and to be honest, I still think it isn't very polish yet. I know its only march, but I think AP got some real potential and I would really hate to see Obs released another game thats just isn't quite there. From screenshots and trailers, its easy to tell that this game's graphics is still lacking, especially the textures on characters. Now I don't know if these screenshots are up to date, but its just isn't very good. I'm not some guy with crazy gaming laptops who want insane graphics that works only on high end pc, in fact I play on my mediocre laptop. But right now the graphic is no where near good.

I really hope Obs gets this right. Forget about Bioware being a great game developers, think Blizzard. Bioware might have great writers and great ideas, but Blizzard got the best mentality when it comes to making games.

I wouldn't go so far to say that it looks great, but for the scope of the game, the graphics are perfectly adequate. Larger scale rpgs generally have to devote their resources into other areas than art, and spread them over a large game world. You can't expect them to compete with the graphic polish that it's possible to put on a 5 hour long (+ multiplayer maps) shooter like Modern Warfare 2.

If that's not enough for you, well then, go play Dragon Age on the 360. By comparison, Alpha Protocol will look like they've cloned Leonardo da Vinci for their art team :lol:

Edited by Baeus

An RPG video game mixed with espionage and spies, is a dream for me!

I think this game is gonna be great, especially for a person who's into the whole "super spy" thing, such as myself.

I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Alpha Protocol = Best game ever created!!! EVER!!!

Can't wait!!! :D

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

Well there are improvements if you compare the stuff back from oct 09 and the recent ones. There are just something just doesn't seem right (graphics). When I saw that shock trap in the video, I was not very happy. That lightning effect is just so not real and feel like a placeholder effect.

I have to admit, the look of the shooter/rpg mix with the secret agent aspects makes me want to hope that it'll follow in the footsteps of Deus Ex for that gaming experience.. And the whole push of choice and consequences.. That's something I really want to see and play with. :sorcerer:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think Obs and Lionhead share a similar trait.

So you're still sore over KotOR II. That's fine, but there's no need to insult Obsidian like that.

That is they are capable of great AAA games, but always end up lacking in 1 particular aspect. For Lionhead and their Fable series, it was how Peter Molyneux never managed to get his amazing ideas work in game like how he wanted. And for Obs, I think its how the game always ended up lacking polish and final touches.

Actually, the chief problem with the Fable series is that it's all gimmick, no substance.

Bioware might have great writers and great ideas

LOL. Might, but don't.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Really couldn't care all that much less about the graphics. The fun out I get out of a game is 9/10s gameplay, 1/10s graphics I'd say. Alpha Protocol looks perfectly fine to me. I would never consider NOT getting the game if it does as it promises with the gameplay, on the account of the graphics not being the sharpest. For example, I'm really looking forward to Age of Decadence, which looks absolutely awesome (like a successor to Fallout 1/2 in many ways.)

Maybe it just comes from being a bit of an older-timer gamer. But I've played countless games with cutting edge graphics that couldn't keep me engaged for more than half an hour, and almost as many games with garbage graphics that kept me hooked for months.

Bugs are a different story. Ya I totally hope the game is polished. There really is no excuse if it is not, seeing how many delays there have been, and how the game has apparently been finished for the most part , for a while now, if I am reading between the lines correctly.

Edited by kreese12

I think Obs and Lionhead share a similar trait.

So you're still sore over KotOR II. That's fine, but there's no need to insult Obsidian like that.

Yup. That's just uncalled for.

That is they are capable of great AAA games, but always end up lacking in 1 particular aspect. For Lionhead and their Fable series, it was how Peter Molyneux never managed to get his amazing ideas work in game like how he wanted. And for Obs, I think its how the game always ended up lacking polish and final touches.

Actually, the chief problem with the Fable series is that it's all gimmick, no substance.

The chief problem is that Fable 2 had nothing to do with the original, which I liked....

Bioware might have great writers and great ideas

LOL. Might, but don't.

Yeah, they do.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I'm not trying to insult Obs... it is a fact that their games indeed lack polish and play testing. One shouldn't ignore facts and lie to themselves thinking everything is ok, but really isn't. Also the only games they made the last few years are KotoR 2 and NWN 2, so if I take examples from the past, and both game lack polish and its full of bugs. I still think both Obs and Lionhead are good developers, just that they seem to make the same mistake over and over again.

Yeah, they do.

"I'M SORRY ASH. I HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE."

Brilliant dialogue. Just pure genius. Moved me to tears.

In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Sure, BioWare's no Obsidian in the writing stakes, but they're no Bethesda either. They're good at what they do.

Anyway, I'm terrible at distinguishing good graphics from bad ...except with Dragon Age, which is fugly. I'd rather Obsidian devote their time to bug hunting than graphical tomfoolery, but that's just me.

Yeah, they do.

It doesn't change the fact that he had to make a choice! Makes sense to me. :shifty:

Edited by Beast

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

Yeah, they do.

The exception dont prove the rule.

There's a ton of cringeworthy dialogue in every single BioWare game, ever.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Maybe because it's a video game, not a movie. :lol:

Let me get this straight.. you're saying that because it's a videogame cringeworthy dialogue shold be forgiven? :ermm:

Probably more like 'point me at 5 games that don't have cringeworthy dialogue' :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

As Harrison Ford once said to George Lucas.. "You can write this stuff, you just can't say it." :ermm:

Video games tend to emphasise a certain.. overblown, over-the-top cinematic events.. and it's very hard to develop dialogue that can be taken that seriously when the events are a touch..beyond the fringe :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Maybe because it's a video game, not a movie. :*

Let me get this straight.. you're saying that because it's a videogame cringeworthy dialogue shold be forgiven? :ermm:

Pretty much. :lol:

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!