RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Calax

I'm pretty sure regenerating health murdered the parents of half the posters on the official forums.

Speaking of the official forums, they allow magazine scans to be posted (only images, not text), so there are a few screenshots on display.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?...p;postcount=190

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?...p;postcount=182

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?...p;postcount=171

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?...p;postcount=154

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?...p;postcount=156

I'd say if health regeneration is the only thing they changed from the original gameplay and the rest is simply improvements, I can live on with it.

By the way, the screenshots look great.

I'd say if health regeneration is the only thing they changed from the original gameplay and the rest is simply improvements, I can live on with it.

Whether any and all changes will be seen as improvements depends on the individual players. I for one LOVE the Blade-Runner-meets-Ghost-in-the-Shell look and don't care whether or not it looks too advanced, but if one is the type to scream that Eidos Montreal is raping Deus Ex canon, then one is probably not going to see it as an improvement.

Whether any and all changes will be seen as improvements depends on the individual players. I for one LOVE the Blade-Runner-meets-Ghost-in-the-Shell look and don't care whether or not it looks too advanced, but if one is the type to scream that Eidos Montreal is raping Deus Ex canon, then one is probably not going to see it as an improvement.

You have to admit though : Ghost in the Shell looked much cooler. :)

Free health sucks in a game where death is something to be avoided and especially in resource management gameplay.

Nonetheless, if that's the only problem, its not a big deal though.

It is however a big fat X in the negatives column.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

All that excitement over a trailer ? Odd. Not hopeful for the game, but who knows.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Free health". lol.

Regenerating health, health kits or a hybrid of the two, I really don't care. I certainly never played a game with regen and thought "Man, this game would be so much better if there were health kits for me to find."

DX:HR features third-person cover like Rainbow Six: Vegas, which I'm quite happy about as I liked it in that game. Also third person takedowns, which I'm not sure how to feel about. I think I won't feel one way or another until I play it myself.

Also guards can wake up any unconscious guards they find, which I think is great news because it means that feature will be included in ThiFOURf.

All that excitement over a trailer ? Odd. Not hopeful for the game, but who knows.

I won't lie, I had money on Slowtrain being the first one to say that.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Also guards can wake up any unconscious guards they find, which I think is great news because it means that feature will be included in ThiFOURf.

When was this confirmed? Why has it taken this long to implement this?

When was this confirmed? Why has it taken this long to implement this?

This long to implement this.. in the Deus Ex series or in stealth games in general?

Because I'm pretty sure the feature has been present in game for years.

E.g. MGS 2

If so, that's a pretty good feature to include. Wonder if you can hide them like Blood Money.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When was this confirmed?

Someone on the official forums posted a few tidbits from a magazine article.

Wonder if you can hide them like Blood Money.

Well you could move and hide bodies in previous DX and Thief games and I don't see them taking that ability out.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm loving the "Cyber Renaissance" aesthetics some of the characters have in the trailer. Not really too worried on the combat, as Deus Ex's combat wasn't anything to write home about (IMO). But as long as they don't turn it into a console shooter like IW... I will be content. o:)

Square's CG team really are amazing, props to them! Day one buy.

Edited by Syraxis

DX 1 had health regen too.

You mean that augment that sucked bio energy?

It's.. not exactly the same thing as having health regen always turned on without drawbacks.

You call that minimal bio-energy drain a drawback? :p

DX:HR features third-person cover like Rainbow Six: Vegas, which I'm quite happy about as I liked it in that game. Also third person takedowns, which I'm not sure how to feel about. I think I won't feel one way or another until I play it myself.
Just to be clear, using it optional (as in not core gameplay as seen in GoW/ME2).

I remember that drain being a real limiting factor for the most of the game during my playthroughs.

DX 1 had health regen too.

You mean that augment that sucked bio energy?

It's.. not exactly the same thing as having health regen always turned on without drawbacks.

You call that minimal bio-energy drain a drawback? :p

It's still a drawback, especially considering how power hungry other augments were.

And you also seem to forget that you had to find that nano augmentation.

I, for once, never grabbed it.

So yeah, there was technically some small health regen, but the game definitely wasn't designed around the idea that you'd be able to simply stop and regenerate your health.

Depending on how fast paced the game is, health regen could work (heck, I actually liked it in Dragon Age), it's just that I can't picture the system in a Deus Ex game.

Big difference between Free health regen for every player all the time and trading something (ie constant Bioeletric energy plus an aug slot) for the ability. The latter is great: it's a choice with both a cost and a consequence. The former is just crap.

"Free health". lol.

Regenerating health, health kits or a hybrid of the two, I really don't care. I certainly never played a game with regen and thought "Man, this game would be so much better if there were health kits for me to find."

Interesting. I never played a game with health kits and said, "Man this game would be so much better if the game was automatically giving me free health every second whenever I needed it!"

I won't lie, I had money on Slowtrain being the first one to say that.

I was too slow, damnit.

Curse these brittle bones of mine. :p

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You're forgetting something. Jamie tells you his augmentation order finally arrived and there's a big ass blue "lamp" next to him. The second place where you can find it is in the VersaLife UC, also pretty much impossible to miss. :p Edited by Oner

Lord of the Rings Online is going free to play this Fall. I'm a bit surprised, they went f2p with Dungeons and Dragons Online and I thought that was more out of desperation, but they must have found some success with that model.

I'm in store for a ton of free bonus points since I've been a subscriber since the start.

You're forgetting something. Jamie tells you his augmentation order finally arrived and there's a big ass blue "lamp" next to him. The second place where you can find it is in the VersaLife UC, also pretty much impossible to miss. :ermm:

And yet on my first playthrough I managed to complete the game without it. :p