RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Calax

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/media_...ying-a-console/

Or my take, Sony has weak exclusives. Frankly, I don't think this has changed a lot, I got by just fine with just an xbox in the last gen (in fact unless I'm completely forgetting something, the four original xbox games I own, the KOTORs, Deus Ex:IW and Jade Empire were all xbox exclusive on consoles), and unless I'd wanted the PS3 for the BD capabilities and smaller noise output, I'd probably get along fine with just a 360 now.

As it is, the exclusives (Mass Effect 1-2, hitman: blood money to a lesser degree and Monkey Island SE originally) were 100 % the reason for my pickup of an x360. So hat's off to Microsoft for the exclusives (the timed exclusivity on Fallout 3 DLC and currently Alan Wake, a game of almost national pride here are just some others I can think of at the moment).

So... what's it with Sony and their exclusives? GOW? Uncharted? Why am I the wrong target audience for this console, when I'd like to think that as a movie buff the kind of cinematic Mass Effect type game would be right the thing to target at me, or is the Blockbuster nature of, say Uncharted 2, something that the demo just wholly failed to get across?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Or my take, Sony has weak exclusives.

I have quite opposite oppinion on this matter...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Care to elaborate, as I did? :lol:

That article is either very odd or very stupid.

If 62% answered they are buying because they like the library of games available then they can't point to the 12% that buy it for a single specific game to say "video games dont' matter" - their research is in fact insufficient to prove or disprove such an assertion.

That article is either very odd or very stupid.

If 62% answered they are buying because they like the library of games available then they can't point to the 12% that buy it for a single specific game to say "video games dont' matter" - their research is in fact insufficient to prove or disprove such an assertion.

It's both, but the data is somewhat more interesting than the analysis. :lol:

Care to elaborate, as I did? :ermm:

I just have different gameing tastes as you do... White Knight Chronicles, God of War 3, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy versus XIII and Gran Turismo 5 is everything I need, to justify my oppinion on the matter o:) I bet i would find more PS3 exclusives, but my library of games is still pretty small atm...

There is only 1 Xbox exclusive i think is worth buying the console... Forza 3... nothing else...

Crackdown is a pretty sweet 360 exclusive. But the PS3 has the greatest sports game ever in MLB The Show.

edit: The 360 exclusives also usually are released on the PC, so they aren't quite exclusive, really.

Edited by Hurlshot

OK, don't take this the wrong way, because I'm just curious as a PC gamer:

Does any of the console / multiplatform gamers here actually like this "[console name] exclusive" concept? I know, we could find lots of reasons to justify it, but I simply want to know your thoughts about it.

And like I said, I'm just a PC gamer who wants to play MGS 3 & 4 and the like, without having to buy a whole new system for them.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

it's weird how people talk about "exclusives" nowadays, in the genesis v super nes days there were no "exclusives" because almost EVERYTHING was exclusive. very few games were on both systems, and when they were, they were very different usually (mortal kombat...)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I doubt any customers really care for the exclusive concept. For developers, it makes their job easier.

I'm a customer. I care. o:)

I mean, my limit is, something like what Rockstar does with the GTA games. It's annoying the games are console exclusive for a while, but at least PC gamers get them eventually.

There are quite a few great games (most of them of Japanese origin) that I couldn't play because of this exclusive thing.

it's weird how people talk about "exclusives" nowadays, in the genesis v super nes days there were no "exclusives" because almost EVERYTHING was exclusive. very few games were on both systems, and when they were, they were very different usually (mortal kombat...)

Well, what can I say? That was the case back then, I guess. But nowadays both the gaming industry and community are bigger and making pretty much the same game compatible with different platforms is easier (as evident from the sheer numbers of multiplatform games).

These days I think the only real reason for developers to make console exclusive games is their mutual agreements with the console producers (yes, I'm looking at you, Sony). Exchanging more profit (sometimes even short-term profit) for their possible PC audience may be a perfectly reasonable strategy for business, but I hate it nevertheless.

Not that I think they care about my feelings, though. :yucky:

OK, don't take this the wrong way, because I'm just curious as a PC gamer:

Does any of the console / multiplatform gamers here actually like this "[console name] exclusive" concept? I know, we could find lots of reasons to justify it, but I simply want to know your thoughts about it.

And like I said, I'm just a PC gamer who wants to play MGS 3 & 4 and the like, without having to buy a whole new system for them.

The only reason I really like the exclusive concept is because it allows PS3 exclusives to take FULL advantage of that processing power within the system.

Also people forgot Uncharted 1/2 (second was GOTY last year) and inFamous (which I like better than prototype and is a good contender for Crackdown).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The only reason I really like the exclusive concept is because it allows PS3 exclusives to take FULL advantage of that processing power within the system.

Hmm good point, but otoh, I've seen my share of games which looked much better on PC (during both PS2 and PS3 periods, PS2 was even better in that regard, I think). When a game looks (and performs) better on consoles, it's usually due to the game being designed specifically for consoles and/or poor/rushed PC ports. Doesn't seem like enough of a reason on it's own, but thanks for pointing it out.

Hmm good point, but otoh, I've seen my share of games which looked much better on PC (during both PS2 and PS3 periods, PS2 was even better in that regard, I think). When a game looks (and performs) better on consoles, it's usually due to the game being designed specifically for consoles and/or poor/rushed PC ports. Doesn't seem like enough of a reason on it's own, but thanks for pointing it out.

Wel, PC and consoles are almost apples and oranges anymore, While a PS3 development can always guarantee that this fancy new tech can be used to it's fullest, a PC cannot.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I doubt any customers really care for the exclusive concept. For developers, it makes their job easier.

I'm a customer. I care. :lol:

By caring I mean I doubt any customers are happy about the exclusive concept.

I'm a customer. I care. :lol:

By caring I mean I doubt any customers are happy about the exclusive concept.

Oh, you mean the customers who do get the exclusive content / games don't care for it... :p

My bad then...

I just have different gameing tastes as you do... White Knight Chronicles, God of War 3, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy versus XIII and Gran Turismo 5 is everything I need, to justify my oppinion on the matter :bat: I bet i would find more PS3 exclusives, but my library of games is still pretty small atm...

Is Versus XIII an exclusive though?

On another note Steam has the Sega complete pack on sale for $89.99, but don't be fooled into thinking AP is part of the pack, because it's not, even though SIE is pictured. Still it's a good deal.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I just have different gameing tastes as you do... White Knight Chronicles, God of War 3, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy versus XIII and Gran Turismo 5 is everything I need, to justify my oppinion on the matter :bat: I bet i would find more PS3 exclusives, but my library of games is still pretty small atm...

Is Versus XIII an exclusive though?

On another note Steam has the Sega complete pack on sale for $89.99, but don't be fooled into thinking AP is part of the pack, because it's not, even though SIE is pictured. Still it's a good deal.

versus XIII is still exclusive...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/1...xiii_statement/

Crackdown is a pretty sweet 360 exclusive. But the PS3 has the greatest sports game ever in MLB The Show.

edit: The 360 exclusives also usually are released on the PC, so they aren't quite exclusive, really.

Actually, your point might be the critical one here. The computer I have can't run KOTORs properly (long story, laptop etc.), so my point of view into exclusivity is pretty much on the x360/ps3 divide. Those with real computers and not just glorified typewriters obviously have a very different picture of what is "exclusive" to the x360 than I do. So, I guess from that point of view, the PS3 would have different exclusives.

And yes, we have different tastes in games. :thumbsup:

Actually, your point might be the critical one here. The computer I have can't run KOTORs properly (long story, laptop etc.), so my point of view into exclusivity is pretty much on the x360/ps3 divide. Those with real computers and not just glorified typewriters obviously have a very different picture of what is "exclusive" to the x360 than I do. So, I guess from that point of view, the PS3 would have different exclusives.

And yes, we have different tastes in games. :thumbsup:

I used to have a weaker PC, and so I really valued my 360. But after I got my nice PC, I was less inclined to buy games on the 360. Plus, my TV is shared by my wife and daughter, whereas my PC is all mine mwahaha. The PS3 was an easy choice when my 360 went on the fritz because the Blu-Ray was appealing to the whole household, and it had a few titles unavailable on the PC.

Back when Bioshock first came out they gave a taped presentation at some games summit saying pretty much the exact same thing. Bioshock's been through a lot of revisions. Probably no more than most AAA games. Hopefully at some point MCA can tell us about what Alpha Protocol originally looked like, because apparently it was very, very different.