RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Calax

After thinking on it a bit, you are probably right that eventually stores will stop selling hardcopy games. People will probably just order them online if they really want it on DVD's.

That is definitely a possiblity.

But think how much money publishers could save if they could simply get rid of the hardcopy game for good.

Nevermind not having to split with the retailers or deal with returns. There would be no more inventory to deal with. No subcontracting for packaging. No more box art and design to deal with. No manuals to print. No worries about too many pressec copies (or to few). No storage issues.

It would be a huge money saver. Given publishers huge focus on the bottom line, I'm sure they are licking their chops and counting down the days when all the hardcopy headachesa are no more.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

And then someone, probably some console maker, will see the opportunity of wholy abandoned market and make ****loads of money, because there will always be people who like to hold something in the hand, people who rather shop in big malls than browse on internet, and which will never be satisfied with digital copies only :nuke:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

because there will always be people who like to hold something in the hand

Pervert :nuke:

Physical media does indeed seem to become a dying breed. At least from a PC gamer perspective. Time to hoard all those old boxes and disks? They might become worth a fortune some century from now.

When all is said and done though, most if not all of the stuff you can get in digital form from internet stores is unessential entertainment products. If you don't like the business model, time to find a new hobby. Reminds me that I still have a metal miniature army or two that needs painting :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

lolz

besides, i do not know like you, but i would not be happy if all games would became digital only, because DLing 50 GB PS3 games with my aDSL would cost me more than jumping to the car riding 100km and buying them in town's TESCO/METRO/WTFBBQSHOP... And i bet i would get it faster by mail from teh internet aswell :nuke:

Edited by Mamoulian War

lolz

besides, i do not know like you, but i would not be happy if all games would became digital only, because DLing 50 GB PS3 games with my aDSL would cost me more than jumping to the car riding 100km and buying them in town's TESCO/METRO/WTFBBQSHOP... And i bet i would get it faster by mail from teh internet aswell o:)

I totally understand your point, but if I am going to have to sign up for accounts and be connected to the internet all the time just to play the game anyway, I might as well just buy it through the publisher's on-line store to begin with.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If i have to sign up for accounts and be connected to the internet all the time, i just find myself some new hobby :sorcerer: My gaming time is already down to average 6 hours per week, and i have so many games on my shelf that most of them i do not remember their storyline >_< so i am set for next 20 years :blink:

and i bet some indie developers would see the hole in the market and would offer the different service to the people who still demand it :p

Xseed bringing over six PSP games

Xseed Games Announces Wide-Ranging Partnership with Nihon Falcom

Strategic deal reflects bringing the popular Ys and The Legend of Heroes series to North America.

Press Release

Torrance, Calif. - XSEED Games today announced a wide-ranging partnership with developer and publisher Nihon Falcom, one of Japan's most well-respected development studios, to bring the three latest installments in the long-running Ys franchise: Ys SEVEN, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Ys I & II Chronicles, to the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system in North America. In addition, the deal will allow XSEED Games to release the next three chapters in Falcom's popular The Legend of Heroes series, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky trilogy (known as the Sora no Kiseki trilogy in Japan), to the North American market on the PSP system. All six titles were developed by one of Japan's most well-admired and longest-running independent-minded studios, Falcom, which has been a pioneer of the RPG genre since their first release in 1983.

"We are ecstatic to partner with XSEED Games on multiple new releases," said Toshihiro Kondo, President of Falcom. "Their passion and reputation for working on outstanding RPGs is in line with our own development philosophy and assures me that our fans in North America will be getting the best English versions of our games possible."

Under the terms of the partnership, XSEED Games retains exclusive North American publishing and distribution rights to multiple upcoming iterations of the Ys and The Legend of Heroes series, starting with Ys SEVEN, exclusively for the PSP system.

"I couldn't be more pleased to announce a partnership with a development studio as renown by gamers for consistently putting out quality titles as Falcom," said Jun Iwasaki, President of XSEED Games. "Their titles have always been some of the most requested titles so it is going to be our pleasure to oblige the North American fans by delivering an amazing line up of in-depth and gripping RPGs."

Ys SEVEN is the latest installment in the long-running Ys series which first debuted on PC in 1987. This is the first iteration to be built specifically for the PSP system, taking full advantage of the widescreen format and hardware for beautiful graphics and virtually no loadtimes. The battle system consists of a three-member battle party with enemies engaged on the field map in real-time for fast-paced combat. Old fans of the series and new players alike will be immersed into the rich vibrant world containing over 30 hours of gameplay.

Currently in production, Ys SEVEN will be the first Falcom project from the announced line up released in North America by XSEED Games for the PSP system in late summer 2010. XSEED Games will release more product information and plans on each title in the coming months.

*Titles have not yet been concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America.

About Nihon Falcom:

Nihon Falcom is an accomplished developer of original Japanese-style RPGs with worldwide appeal, having created such established series such as Ys and The Legend of Heroes, among others. With a sterling reputation for quality, Falcom is dedicated to continue meeting and surpassing the high expectations and discriminating tastes of core gamers. More information on Falcom can be found at http://www.falcom.co.jp

About XSEED Games:

XSEED Games was formed in November 2004 by a small group of industry veterans led by president Jun Iwasaki with a common vision: to cross pollinate the avid gaming cultures of Japan and North America. Delivering unique, innovative titles across multiple platforms and genres, XSEED Games is dedicated to publishing products that appeal and enrich the North American market. More information on XSEED Games can be found at http://www.xseedgames.com.

Press Release

I was expecting one or two of the listed titles but six?!? Oh man!

Man i do not know, how could i missed it, but Demon's Soul will be released in EU on June 25!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/demonssoul...res%3Btitle%3B1

Leaked E3 line-up.

Not sure if it's true or just a fake, but there for your viewing pleasure.

EDIT : I'm leaning more towards fake though.

Certain its fake. Some good guesses though.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

One funny thing they mentioned in the video: the cartoon-like, colourful version of the game is aimed for the North American markets and the toned-down, more realistic version is aimed for the European market. I like that!

Aha!

American town view:

ArcaniaUS.jpg

European town view:

ArcaniaEU.jpg

(tip: load both images in different tabs or windows and then quickly switch between them to see the difference)

Now that I see what they mean, I'm not so sure I like the washed-out European style :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I like the second, but not a big difference - it's still not a bloomfest or anything. Looks like a good compromise.

Official website for Hunted: The Demon's Forge is online. Click

Moody dungeon crawler from Brian Fargo and Jason Anderson? I'm interested.

No PC version?! :shifty:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The last dungeon crawler Fargo churned out was only playable because of the great voice acting, humour & charisma of the main protagonist, which this Demon Forge thingie seems to completely lack.

Add a Dwarf as comic relief to the current bland duo and I might start to become interested.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Robbed from the Codex - IGN Gothic 4 impressions.

If that kind of hand-holding doesn't sit well with you, it's also possible to shut off UI assists to the point where the game is nearly HUD-less.

huzzah!

by turning on a combo assist the sword will glow briefly while being swung to indicate when another attack command can be inputted to keep a combo going.

Can be turned off, thank god.

Magic users will be able to pick between three magic types, each of which comes with special effects. Lightning will briefly stun targets, fire can do damage over time, and ice can slow those that are hit.

Sounds like magic got even LESS interesting. I mean, what is it with Gothic and magic? :ermm: I wanted some cool stuff that helps with open world - levitation, domination, etc. Hopefully we still get those.