Game Computer - Sudden "Lock Up" problem :/

Jaesun

I have 3 computers, this one, my game computer and my living-room computer (That I stream music from). Last night for some reason, my Gaming Computer would suddenly re-start, while playing a game. The first time this happened, I just thought wow that was weird... then it started happening regularly.

I then just decided to format C: and install a fresh copy of Windows XP (I have a legitimate, legal copy). Install went completely fine. Then I went off to find my Motherboard drivers. When I found the CD I returned back to my freshly Installed XP Gaming Computer and it was locked up. D: Which leads me to believe there is a hardware malfunction.

I rebooted a number of times, and the lock-up would happen pretty much 3 to 5 minutes after the windows desktop loaded.

I then ran Memtest86+ overnight. It reported no errors.

A little Google reading leads me to Checking the CPU temp, the HD might be bad or the Vid card is bad.

I have the MSI Dual Core center program for the Game Computer and I monitored the CPU temp, and that was fine. No overheating. I do not do any overclocking. I then opened the case and made sure it was all dust free, especially the fans and heat-sinks.

I then took the HD, and put it as a slave to my living-room computer. I *assume* if the HD was causing the lock-up, it would also do the same thing on the living-room computer right?

So far (an hour after hooking the HD to the living-room computer) it has NOT locked up at all.

So this leads me to assume the vid card is the problem. It is an Nvidia card and it is around 8 months old?

Am I on the right track, or can anyone offer some more suggestions?

Thanks!

that's what they say, I kinda doubt it's much of a real issue though.

The plastic manufacturers ship computer parts in is a special type of non-static plastic. Hopefully that gives you an idea how sensitive the parts are.

For reference, when a human actually feels static electricity, that's above 2000 volts. Computer parts are sensitive to 1/10th that voltage.

A hand-held portable vacuum is probably safe. A mains vacuum cleaner definitely isn't - they generate massive static.

I have to say that I clean mine with a vacuum after taking advice on here, and apart from the shrieking demons which issue forth fom it, and the fact that neither DVD works any more it's not been a big issue.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.